Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be Wallace Nutting? And can you post a pic of the signature? HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Wallace Nutting (1861 - 1941) was a U.S. minister, photographer, artist, and antiquarian, who is most famous for his pictures. He also was an accomplished author, lecturer, furniture maker —some of whose reproductions pass as antiques— antiques expert and collector. His atmospheric photographs helped spur the Colonial Revival style.

He was born in Rockbottom, Massachusetts, on Sunday, November 17, 1861. He was descended from John Nutting, who came from England in 1639 and was killed by Indians during a raid against Groton, Massachusetts. The Indians severed John Nutting's head and put it on a pole to discourage others from settling in the area.

Wallace Nutting studied at Phillips Exeter Academy, Harvard University, Hartford Theological Seminary and Union Theological Seminary. He graduated from Harvard with the class of 1887. On June 5, 1888 he married Mariet Griswold in Buckland, Massachusetts. They had no children.

Wallace Nutting started taking pictures in 1899 while on long bicycle rides in the countryside. In 1904 he opened the Wallace Nutting Art Prints Studio on East 23rd Street in New York. After a year he moved his business to a farm in Southbury, Connecticut. He called this place "Nuttinghame". In 1912 he moved the photography studio to Framingham, Massachusetts, in a home he called "Nuttingholme". Nutting authored several books about the scenic beauties of New England, the United Kingdom, and Ireland. In the peak of his business he employed about two-hundred colorists. By his own account, Wallace Nutting sold ten million pictures. Wallace Nutting's colorists painted the photographs which he took. These colorists would sometimes sign Wallace Nutting's name on the photos which is why the signatures vary. An interesting fact about Nutting's photography is that he was more prolific with pastoral scenes, consequently his interiors are more valuable.

Wallace Nutting died at his home at 24 Vernon St., Framingham, Massachusetts on Saturday, July 19, 1941, at age 79. The body was taken to Augusta, Maine for burial.

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the guys name who used to show ya how to paint on tv, big afro looking curly brown hair white guy......Looks alot like the scenes he used to paint,real soft spoken guy :dontknow: :dontknow:

Upvote 0

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T.V. artist--in the '50's it was 'John Naige' or Nagee--- something like that--

Upvote 0

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunrunner61 said:
Whats the guys name who used to show ya how to paint on tv, big afro looking curly brown hair white guy......Looks alot like the scenes he used to paint,real soft spoken guy :dontknow: :dontknow:

Bob Ross?

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
johnw ~

Cool painting, but looks somewhat contempoary to me (last 20 years or so). It would help if we knew the full name and whether "Wallace" is a last name or first? It could be either one. And if the signature is just the one word by itself, then I would definitely look into contempoary, mass production art work. The size alone and the fact it is unframed suggest that. Contempoary production artist often use one word names, and their work can be seen hanging on the walls of furniture stores nationwide.

I also suggest you rule out "Wallace Nutting." The majority of his work is well known "Colored Photography," with an emphasis on the "Photography" aspect.

Just for the record, below is a Wallace Nutting original hand-colored photo and a close up of his signature. Please be sure to let us know about the name on the painting, and a close up photo of it if possible.

Thanks.

SBB

Attachments

• Wallace Nutting Signature.jpg
    Wallace Nutting Signature.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 5,393
  • Wallaca Nutting Hand Painted Photograph.jpg
    Wallaca Nutting Hand Painted Photograph.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,365
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Note: For those who have not seen it yet, johnw posted a close up of the signature on his initial page.

johnw ~

I mention the above because when you modify/edit/add something to your initial page it does not generate email notifications. That is only done when a new reply is posted like this one of mine.

The first signature below is a cropped version of the one johnw just posted. The others are connected to their appropriate links in sequence. (That is if I don't get them mixed up). In any event, they are all of the same artist. Open the links to view the entire paintings associated with each signature. I wish I could tell you more about who "Wallace" is, but the information is brief at best. However, it is my opinion that most (if not all) of Wallace's works are all within the past twenty years or so. Check them out and see what you think. Also notice the various price ranges. Hopefully the following will provide us with some "clues" for additional research.

On the eBay examples be sure to look at the enlargements and zooms. One of them has an interesting lable that may be a clue unto itself.

Reminder: The first signature below is the one on johnw's painting.

SBB

eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ART...88180487?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item2a17d0b607

Another eBay Example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Signed-Auth...68041145?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item231483dbb9

Other:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/39303214/original-vintage-landscape-oil-painting

Attachments

• Wallace Painting.jpg
    Wallace Painting.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,851
  • Wallace Painting Signature - Another eBay Example (500x172).jpg
    Wallace Painting Signature - Another eBay Example (500x172).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,272
  • Wallace Painting - Signature eBay (500x267).jpg
    Wallace Painting - Signature eBay (500x267).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,262
  • What Is It Painting - Wallace Signature (2) (500x220).jpg
    What Is It Painting - Wallace Signature (2) (500x220).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,110
Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunrunner61, That is what I was going to say.. Wallace went to the bob Ross school of painting. You are able to tell because of that happy little squirrel living in the tree :laughing7: The funny thing is that you can knock off a copy close enough to this in an hour using the Ross technique

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Below is the label that is attached to the back of the Wallace painting in the second eBay link I posted earlier.

I did a little research on Artistic Interiors Inc. and found the following. But I'm not sure if they are the same company or not. The Art Forum link at the bottom provides some interesting clues as well.

SBB

http://www.morethanmeetstheeye.com/ArtisticInteriorsInc/index.htm

http://orangecounty.citysearch.com/profile/42704188/anaheim_ca/artistic_interiors_inc.html

Art forum with numerous questions about Artistic Interiors Inc. - But with very few answers. Although some refer to the 1980s.
http://antiquesandthearts.com/forumresponse.asp?var=1853&var2=9

Attachments

• Wallace Painting - eBay Label (500x359).jpg
    Wallace Painting - eBay Label (500x359).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 3,044
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
johnw ~

This will likely conclude my participation here, as I have provided all the clues I can possibly think of regarding your title ...

"Wallace Who?"

Based on the research I've done ~ Best Guess ~ Etc.

It is my general opinion that your Wallace landscape painting is from the circa late 1980s early 1990s and was done by one of the numerous mass-production artist who worked for one of those wholesale art suppliers that sold similar paintings to retail establishments like furniture stores, etc. It may even have originated from a foreign country wholeseller such as China, etc. Valuewise I would estimate it at approximately $50.00. And please be reminded this is my best guess evaluation and not a confirmed identification or value.

SBB

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
P.S. ~

I took another look at the Art Forum link and found the following that I missed earlier. It was about half way down the column. It sound like our mysterious "Wallace" may very well have been one of the numeous artist who were involved in some manner with "Artistic Interiors Inc." Perhaps the certificate number mentioned will lead to something if anyone is interested in researching it.

SBB

How do I find the value of a painting from Wallace 16x20 Cert #552080. Back in May of 1982 it was valued at $145.00 - Winston: 1/27/2009 5:10:49 PM

Upvote 0

chrisf

Jan 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this by "Wallace"

I would love to know more about this painting (artist, age, value, year, etc). The painting I have is 48 inches by 24 inches.

P.S. ~

I took another look at the Art Forum link and found the following that I missed earlier. It was about half way down the column. It sound like our mysterious "Wallace" may very well have been one of the numeous artist who were involved in some manner with "Artistic Interiors Inc." Perhaps the certificate number mentioned will lead to something if anyone is interested in researching it.

SBB

How do I find the value of a painting from Wallace 16x20 Cert #552080. Back in May of 1982 it was valued at $145.00 - Winston: 1/27/2009 5:10:49 PM

Attachments

• IMAG0433.jpg
    IMAG0433.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 938
  • IMAG0435.jpg
    IMAG0435.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 396
Upvote 0

chrisf

Jan 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have this painting by "Maycock" which is very similar to Wallace's..........

I would love to know more about this painting (artist, age, value, year, etc). The painting I have is 48 inches by 24 inches.

Attachments

• IMAG0434.jpg
    IMAG0434.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 505
  • IMAG0436.jpg
    IMAG0436.jpg
    846 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0

innes

Jul 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Wallace" is probably another name chosen by the Art Factories in China, much like "C Inness" and "BC Wellan". Names are chosen to imply connections to real people or to remain vague. Clara D Innes (correct spelling) did not paint any of the hundreds or thousands of paintings attributed to her. Her family knows nothing of her being a painter, never mind a prolific one, and some of the materials used were not made until the last 10 years of her life (she'd have been extremely busy). The Inness signatures used to change but have settled on a block letter.
Check out Dafen Art Factory, or Chinese art factories.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The thread starter hasn't made a post here in 7-1/2 years, so the news may not reach him.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread