Now, men, I have to part ways with both of you here.
Today, everyone thinks they are owed something. "It isn't in my job description" is said way too often by persons who are otherwise idle.
This is not a statement about either of you, but it comes from my personal experience with today's job candidates, it's what I tell them during the interview:
When you go to work for me, I tell you up front what you will make. It is up to you to say yes or no THEN, not gripe and moan later about being underpaid. If it isn't enough, ask for more NOW or go elsewhere. I know what the job is worth, I know what I make, I know what I can afford to pay you . . . and I know that you won't work for anyone nicer than me IF you do your job. If you want to loaf or complain, I'll become the sorriest SOB you ever met --- I'll simply become whatever you want me to be, and since "out of the heart's abundance the mouth speaks", your whining tells me what you want me to be.
When business is slack, I may ask you to do something that isn't in your job description instead of sending you home. If you complain about it, then you don't want to work for me, and again you'll get your wish.
When I was the worker, if the boss asked me to go to his mother's house and cut the grass, I did it. He was paying for my time. I had agreed to what my time was worth, not what I would do . . . that would have been a different discussion and I would have been another of the faceless unemployed. So long as I was getting paid, I did the job provided it wasn't illegal or immoral.
You get out of your job what you put into it. If your work is slack, then I assume that moving you any farther up the ladder would be beyond your abilities. Thus, no more raises . . . until you can master what you are assigned to do. Any of you ever see a Wal-Mart employee who is a go getter? It doesn't take long for them to move up the ladder towards management. Did you ever see a Wal-Mart employee who just drags around and acts like doing their job is too much trouble? You usually don't see them at Wal-Mart very long. It is a long line of go nowhere jobs until they either learn to apply themselves or cannot get hired because of their bad attitude.
Now, do you really want to work here?