Walt Gasslers Notes on Dutchman Legend

R.W. ,
Um, I'm a man, I have mentioned my wife in one of the other thread..About her laughing when she pulled cacti thorns out of my butt.

Hell, I thought you were a female as well. I think it was you that said (How do you know that I am a man?). There was SOMETHING that made folks think you were a lady (couldn't have been the dress and pantyhose, could it?). HAHAHA

Mike

I never hinted at being a female, I mentioned my wife a couple of times. Someone started saying she in a post I figured it was a mistake. And being computer illiterate I may typed the wrong thing. And what I wear at home is my business.

Having now read the manuscript Part I and II cover to cover I am profoundly impressed with the paper. I'm not talking about whether his location is correct or not, we can argue that till eternity.

My single most important take away from the writing is probably much different than most. I'd be interested to hear from those of you who have read the work what struck you the most? I'll share my thoughts later, just don't want to lead the conversation in any specific direction.

Old,

I cannot speak for Greg Davis and I am not. What I am posting is personal knowledge of Walter's manuscript and his final days, the time period 1983 - May 1984. Something you need to understand about Walter Gassler's manuscript. Walter hand wrote the manuscript and gave it to Robert Lee at San Diego, CA. Lee was an author and film producer with his own production company in San Diego and Los Angeles. Walter wanted Lee to rewrite the manuscript into an acceptable Lost Dutchman book or production video. Walter and Robert Lee corresponded back and forth through letters and phone calls and were working on an arrangement when Walter went into the Superstitions in May of 1984 and tragically died.

Lee was left with Walter's manuscript and rewrote parts of it but never finished or finalized the work. With Walter gone the production video was out of the question. There was a final chapter Walter was working on, something he had started back in the mountains and his last trip into the Superstitions would have given the manuscript the ending it needed.

A few years after Walter died, Robert Lee himself died and his son Randy took over his fathers production company. Sometime about 1995 Randy Lee turned over all his father's things including Walters manuscript to Greg Davis at the Superstition Mountain Historical Society with permission to do with it whatever the museum wished. His only stipulation being all his father's material be preserved. Anyone can access the Robert Lee collection at any time, an appointment may be necessary.

Few people have ever read Walter's hand written manuscript. It contains things not included in the typed copy but those things are incidental and no great secrets were withheld. The manuscript has been typed on at least two occasions that I know of.

This is my understanding based on having been with Walter in those last months and knowing what he was trying to accomplish and who he was working with.

Matthew

Matthew,

Can you elaborate on your relationship with Walter Gassler? I understand if you can't.

Good luck,

Joe

I never hinted at being a female, I mentioned my wife a couple of times. Someone started saying she in a post I figured it was a mistake. And being computer illiterate I may typed the wrong thing. And what I wear at home is my business.

I've been going blind reading every LDM thread over the last few weeks, but when I got to this post, I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair.

Sorry about the mishap, After reading your previous posts I was trying so hard to picture some female crawling around in the Superstitions in Lingerie looking for the LDM. There has been evidence of that just ask Frank. In the world today you never really know. I assumed you were a bit confused and thought the LDM stood for the L-ingerie D-epartment @ M-acys. My bad...

BILL,
I figured out how to get p.m.don't know how to send them. I am very private person,I feel that I know the location of the LDM. Thank you for the offer.

You're welcome Nobodie.

Anytime you need help just let me know.

I'm happy you've found the LDM. I believe I've found the Iron Door Mine. Maybe we could both do a book someday about it? Or just meet sometime in Cancun for some Margarita's?
I was going out today for some more prospecting down here near Tucson. (With in a few hours of here at least) Never get up in the Supers much anymore I have so much to explore around this area.

Weather is sort of preventing it, although, it would put a damper on the Bee activity. It's one of those "Do I take a sluice box or a dry washer?" kind of days. Metal detecting is out of the question with wet ground but that depends on whether it's just damp enough to enhance the detector or too wet giving false targets. So I said what the heck an ordered a Cyclone kit from Keene Engineering!

Now I can go wet or dry!

BILL,
I figured out how to get p.m.don't know how to send them. I am very private person,I feel that I know the location of the LDM. Thank you for the offer.

Bill,
I appreciate the offer, I just want to find 1 of the caches to help me in retirement. Sit back and relax and take the LDM with me like J.W. did.

nobodie

I you feel/know where the LDM is , why you don't dig out some gold ore from the mine instead you are searching for the hidden cache ?

Like I said before, I had plans to go in and dig it up at night and cover it. I backed out of the idea, to much trouble. The caches should be in shallower ground,and easier to take home.

I dragged my wife out late one night during a monsoon storm to dig under a large cross on top of a mountain. We dug all night until about 4am. Finally hit bedrock and no treasure underneath. It was a very lost location and the cross on the ground was covered over partially so no one knew it was there. After that I assumed it was a measuring point for a triangle. Always another symbol and no caches! Just another "Clue".

Go out and dig one only, no others, and see if it's still there. You only live once don't wait until you cant make it. Donate it too your favorite Charity. At least then you'll know. Do it during a storm so no one can hear you. At least you'll feel better knowing you tried.

Like I said before, I had plans to go in and dig it up at night and cover it. I backed out of the idea, to much trouble. The caches should be in shallower ground,and easier to take home.

Only pneumonia you can get if you are diggind in a storm , the wet dust would be more heavy and the water would flooded your shaft .
IMO , put a large tent with detachable floor over the place and dig silently .

markmar,
I like the tent idea, I think it would be good for another project. But I couldn't use it on the LDM. The LDM IS on a slope, I think it would look a little suspicious, a tent on a steep slope.

R.w. did you go with your father a lot of times? The reason I asked is your father mentioned his son.
Walters manuscript, part 1, page 50,
"also I had never found the canyon with the hundreds of Potholes till in the seventys when I and my son took a trip up Peters canyon from the North,"

R.w. did you go with your father a lot of times? The reason I asked is your father mentioned his son.
Walters manuscript, part 1, page 50,
"also I had never found the canyon with the hundreds of Potholes till in the seventys when I and my son took a trip up Peters canyon from the North,"

Very curious.

Desert Camouflage netting would work nicely I bought some just for that. But be careful, you may lose your spot as the Camouflage net will hide it real good.

And when I was talking about the storm it was a dry monsoon only wind and lightening. Lots of noise but no rain. Like most Arizona storms all bark and no bite.

markmar,
I like the tent idea, I think it would be good for another project. But I couldn't use it on the LDM. The LDM IS on a slope, I think it would look a little suspicious, a tent on a steep slope.

Last edited:
markmar,

nobodie

Wrong answer . The right is : the LDM need not tent because is in the brush .

markmar,
It is true that there is a story about the 2 Mexicans, when they were WORKING the mine they COVERED the mine with brush. J.W. expanded the hole to at least 6 feet. Any digging and stomping around would have destroyed any brush. You can see the horses head right next to it and it matches the Holmes map and other maps.
I like your determination to find the LDM, I believe if you were here in Phoenix,You be searching the mountains just as you do on the computer, books, maps and other sources. Keep looking for might find it.

nobodie

First , the mine that worked the Mexicans was the Sombrero mine and not the LDM . You had to knew that .

Second , if Waltz enlarged the entrance and removed some brush that doesn't mean how he removed all the brush which was around the mine .

I would like to read your description of the mine region and not to recycling the known LDM clues . I wrote about the horse head clue long before you come to this topic . If you know where is the mine in relation with the horse head , then why don't write about ? If you give the right place then I promise to stop posting here .
What you know about the LDM , is what you have read in this site . So , stop to teach us . Your fishing net has a lot of big holes in it .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back