Want in Bad!

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I found a property that is abandon and for sale
It has a very old home on it.
I found the owner and asked if me and one other friend could MD it.
He says he can't allow anyone in there due to vandalism and drug activity in the past.
He has now given the Police and Fire Dept's permission to use it for Drug dog training and burning practice.

This place is 1885 ish but get this,
Then he says "There used to be an old Indian trading post on the property"
:o
I asked If I could contact him again which he seemed OK with, i was thinking after they burn it but would rather get to the property ASAP.

I thought about drawing up a simple contract that says:
who we are, when we can be there and have it also list a MD code of ethics
Do you think something like this could help show him we are good guy's that will
be respectful Etc. etc...?

Any other good schmoosing Ideas?
Other than buying it for the $2.2 Million asking price.

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Well, since he's already said "NO", you have nothing to lose by offering a signed agreement outlining the agreement (who's hunting, which party keeps any finds, liability for any injury or damage).

Get something typed up, approach the owner in a friendly (not cheesey) way, and dress the part..............wear nice casual clothes. Not a interview suit, but not muddy cargo pants, either............

Let us know how you make out.

Roger

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
If you can't meet in person, which would be best, I'd include in the letter what you'd be willing to do for him in exchange. Keep an eye on the property for him, pick up trash, etc. Gently remind him that vandals and druggies usually don't ask permission, try to assure him that you will treat the property as if it were your own, and would be willing to waive any liability if you or your friend get hurt. Only offer the liability waiver if it comes up in conversation, no need to put negative ideas in his head.

Meeting in person is still the best bet, though. If he's around town or close by, maybe offer to buy lunch?

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
I would try to MD it before they burn it. It does sound like an interesting site.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How Much can you & your Friend come up with ?

$100.00 Each ?

Tell him you can't afford to buy it,
But you would like to Rent the land for
a Month. & keep an eye on it while there.
If he says yes, Draw up a "Rental"
Contract & Hammer
the S&&t out of it ;)

Think about it, What can you Buy for a Hundred Bucks theses Days ?

A tank & a half of Gas ?
2 Carton of Smokes ?
Not alot.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
jglunt said:
jeff of pa said:
Think about it, What can you Buy for a Hundred Bucks theses Days ?

A tank & a half of Gas ?
2 Carton of Smokes ?
Not alot.
Now we know why he's disabled... ;D

Off topic,

I drove my disabled neighbor to the store today:

$150.00 bought two cases of Bud and 2 cartons of smokes.

Jim

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe a lawnmower a weed wacker and a garbage can will help also ;)

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
All great ideas!! I am able to meet with him in person.
I figure I need to start a "drip" campain... maybe show up at his Business more often,
don't talk about it much but get to know him a little. Maybe build a little trust or repore.

By the way Jeff, a tresspas or rental time, is one I did not think of Hmmm.....

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

They are going to burn it? Just be persistent, I don't think you can cause much more damage then a fire. Make sure he knows this and make sure he knows your intent. It should go fine with just some persistents.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Does the property owner live right by there or something? I mean, how did you find the owner, to begin with? Generally, for abandoned properties (even "abandoned looking" with for-sale signs on them), I usually just be discreet and GO! I know, there are those that say you have to "ask" to detect city sand boxes, so this may ruffle a few feathers, but I haven't run into problems. If someone has an issue, just say "oops" and leave.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Does the property owner live right by there or something? I mean, how did you find the owner, to begin with? Generally, for abandoned properties (even "abandoned looking" with for-sale signs on them), I usually just be discreet and GO! I know, there are those that say you have to "ask" to detect city sand boxes, so this may ruffle a few feathers, but I haven't run into problems. If someone has an issue, just say "oops" and leave.

Wetgreenie said:
He says he can't allow anyone in there due to vandalism and drug activity in the past.

To just go after being told No would be Defiant Trespass.

which is Worse then Trespassing & I believe also makes it
Criminal.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
How about you offer to take him along, borrow a spare detector, show him the ropes, get him addicted. Hopefully yo find a few neat things, make friends, get to detect it when ever you want.

I have an old farm house I want to hunt, he said he'd been approached before and said no. "I always wanted to detct it myself" I told him he could use my detector anytime. "no clue how to use it" Well how about we do it together? "I'd like that" HA HA, now I have 2 detectors. Gonna go for it!

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR ADVENTURE!

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Besides agreeing with Jeff.

It is a very visible property and is monitored very closely by
the police...... they are allowed to use the house for training purposes.

I forgot to tell him I only wanted access to the land.
I need to stop by his business and/or shop there a few more times.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Wetgreenie... Let me tell you a little trick that has helped me get into several great sites. Name dropping. ;D

Get to know a well known and well liked older person in your community and drop their name when asking for permission.

Something like "Hi, my names Dave XXX. I'm good friends with John XXX and he said that you might own this property located at XXX. I metal detect as a hobby and would really like to detect around the area (if there is a house on the property I make it abundently clear I will not access the building at this time)."

The other thing I do when asking permission is to be sure to have a few finds with me that I might show as an example of what I am looking for. People like show and tell for some reason.
Also, join the historical society for your county. Then you can drop that affiliation also. Insert "I'm a member of the XXX County historical society" right after your name and before dropping names. That way it sounds offical... DON'T say your there FOR the historical society, just say your a member of the society. Most people will never question you aout it, if you do you just simply tell them that preserving history is a passion of yours and that is why you also took up metal detecting.

Trust me, I've worked these angles for a few years now and they pay off big!

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
That's pretty cool,

I have actually asked around for people that may know him personally.
I should e able to form some kind of plan with all these great ideas.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jeff, you're right: Once you're told "no", then you can't just simply go, and hope no one cares or sees. So that's why I hesitate to ask, for places that are ....... to me ....... innocuous (vacant lots, demolition sites after 5pm, etc...). Once you ask, then you "know better".

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
because of so many nuisance cases and ppl suing for a drop of the hat you cant blame somebody for turning you down because they are worrying about a possible suit if you get hurt

a waver and some proof of liability would be better as it shows better intent
I belong to a MD club we have such wavier forms printed on our membership card that we carry

Owners turn us down mostly because because of liability problems an if we want to be treated as honest fun loving hobbiests then we have to act like semi professionals to clearly signal our honest intentions

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
didn't get to read all of the responses but if you offer to share some of the finds and remind him of the historical significance that could be in the ground there he may rethink his decision. If there were druggies and vandals, you're gonna have a lot of trash to sort through. Good luck buddy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread