Want the opportunity to be a professional explorer? Please read.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen: May I put in my two cents, Mejicano? In every country there are good and bad areas.

Some are more easily accessible than others, some more dangerous than others, so I suggest relaxing.

Where I am, there are areas that are almost perfect paradises, others where they will happily kill you for your truck or SUV. Some where they will actually kidnap you to be a virtual slave in the Narcotic fields, then appropriately disposed of after the crop is in.

Areas that allow adventuring and exploration, with the possibility of getting a bit of gold are definitely appealing. However such regions are rapidly disappearing each year.

Areas where it took me a week or more on my mule, or walking, are now accessable in just a few hours in an air-conditioned vehicle. areas that were devoid of people, now have towns and roads. sigh.

So, if some wish to have a effective guided tour, with true adventure included, let them. I am sure that they will receive their money's worth with Alaskan Adventurer, and could end with 'gold' for the Grand kiddies, and precious memories for 'their' later days.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Well...............
I think I have to put on my rubber boots around here

PMUGGs
It aint rocket science
Ecuador is NOT third world, is not back a hundered years is not more dangerous than any other place you might go on a vacation to.
Just google the number of tourists that go to that country a year, butterfly watching, bird watching surfing ect........... man it aint the end of the world.
I laugh at the thoughts of needing arms, teams,special skills, survival, ANY farm boy will do just fine here.
From my house near calgary alberta canada, I can leave my door step and be dredging (wow somebody actually does dredge there) in 24 hours . Been there done it. I can tell you where you can freedive,snorkel and pick pickers off clean trailing bedrock, ya really
I have hundreds of photos and footage already of that real remote impossible must have helicopter to access river, and you dont have to heli in
I proved it.
I aint nothin special.............. but
I dont wait for the next big thing, connection, contact nor have piles of excuses while looking for other peoples money.
I have brought in two dredges to ecuador a five and a four
You may have heard the dredges there loose 50-90% of the gold run through, crap!!! thoes guys can mine and dredge and im ean annywhere,any place under all difficult circumstances, dont think cause we are english speaking white man you have an advantage, wrong.its called disadvantage in ecuador, name me one person from usa who DREDGED consecutiveley 5 years sucessfully. I know 4 men and they aint on this site cowboy.
Ill never bring in another dredge, you can buy one on most any street corner
Ecuador aint perfect, aint pounds of gold sitting there for the picking,
it is hard work, there are major hurdles as with any venture you will accomplish in life
Worked with a few like you . You are a bold man , for sure .
>I venture that you are not an old man .
>Old and Bold do not often arrive together ..........

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nearly impossible to reach, not impossible. These locations have been made on foot, but lives have been lost in the past. One area requires you to hug a cliff with a several hundred foot drop below you. You have to do this for kilometers and takes an entire day. Imagine the stress?
Count me out, but good luck to you. I stay safe in our country.

bill27

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm listed as a tenderfoot, but also a federal service academy grad, former Naval officer, professional mariner and general hell raiser. That's why we're here, right??

From my travels I know that the museum in Guayaquil (not sure of the name as visited over 25 years ago) has a group of shrunken skulls. They're located on the second floor. All very well preserved and quite horrifying I may add.

If you even move your ops north to Panama, I'd certainly be interested.

Best

pmuggs

Aug 8, 2012
Brantford ON
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry for such a long duration between posts, I was participating in a model parliament in school that took up a large portion of my computer time, lol. I'm most grateful for all of the replies to my posts, and will take all into serious consideration. My uncle is a mechanic, so I may be able to learn engine repair relatively soon. My mom works as an ESA in the local hospital, and knows a good few people who would be happy to teach me the basics of first aid. I'm a strong person; I workout 5 times a week an run around 3, and I do a bit of mma. Unfortunately, living in Canada, it is very hard to get access to a pistol. I intend to get trained, and purchase a sidearm should I move out of country though. I eagerly await the link to your site, and once again would like to thank everyone for the interest in my posts. As of now I plan on obtaining at least my bachelors degree in history, and I'll see what doors open from there, as far as education goes. I look forward to further posts, and would, as always, be appreciative of any advice. Much thanks in advance.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K Bill, report to the officers mess. The coffee detail will be your first assignment. Keep the mess sgt - so I was an USA off - on the ball and making excellent coffee. If'n we find that you are trust worthy and competent, we can have further talks and move you up in the responsibility line. Maybe even handle the Gold bars with trimed fingernails.

Err, ah, most Naval officers as they approach 50-60 have a finely developed pot, what is your physical status?

In other words, welcome aboard my new friend, coffee?.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Pmuggs. You posted -->living in Canada, it is very hard to get access to a pistol. I intend to get trained, and purchase a sidearm
When you are ready I wlll be your instructor. My grandson, after two weeks of personal instruction, can keep all of his shots offhand inside of a human head to 50 + meters. I will also teach you quick draw. You will end up in the vicinity of 1/2 sec to draw and shoot effectively to 12 meters.

You will probably never need this particular skill, but if you ever do, you will be well prepared.

Don Jose de La Mancha

pmuggs

Aug 8, 2012
Brantford ON
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm appreciative of your quick reply, and would love to receive instruction on handling a firearm. As soon as I acquire one I'll be sure to inform you. What would you recommend as a reliable sidearm, a 9mm gun like a makarov, or a revolver like a magnum? Just wondering out of curiosity, and I like to be well informed before I invest my own money into something, lol. Have a good evening.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Mr Pmuggs <
You strike me as a man of proper wit and spirit that will do well in the 'dangerous lands' with more education and seasoning .
That "mule lovin' old reprobate has offered to be your mentor . You are blessed if he takes you under his wing . Likely he will advise you to go for a .22 revolver . Heed his advice . I only had one mediocre failure with that round , myself .
Rounds placed 'where you are looking' are much more important than a big bang and big holes that you put in whatever the bullet happened to hit .

pmuggs

Aug 8, 2012
Brantford ON
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for the compliment, there always nice to hear. And a .22 revolver you say? Well, I'm not going to pretend that I'm some expert on firearms, in fact my knowledge is less than baffling. But I've heard only good things about Tayopa, and he's been of immeasurable help to me in the last few months. As you mentioned earlier, in regards to education, well I'm in the process of aqcuiring it as we speak, lol. Its a long, tedious proccess, but one needs to consider the positives instead of the negatives, and I'm well aware that any form of education is invaluable. I'm a good people person; I'm social, argumentative (in a good way I promise) and I like to think on my feet. One thing that I've been meaning to ask is this: How do you go about getting started on the career path of an adventurer, or treasure hunter? Modern education has taught me many things but it's sights are narrow, and the only jobs students are aware of are the ones that you aqcuire through schooling and resumes. I'm aware that you are responsible for getting started yourself, but where do you, for example, get your leads on a possible treasure? Where do you take your find in order to make a profit, do museums or antique shops purchase them? Is it beneficial to work with others in this trade of sorts? If so, what is the best way to go about meeting these people? While these questions may seem self-explainitory to you, I would be most grateful of your assistance. I plan to gather as much knowledge as I can before I set out and begin to live my life as an adult, and the only way to get an answer is to ask a question. Much thanks in advance, and I eagerley await your repl(ies).

bill27

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey RT III,

Physical status...??? Well, when not on all fours after a rough night on the town....

Have a 30 year old tennis pro that keeps me fit.

Spot on, as first class coffee asst bos'n mate as anything beyond is above my pay scale...

Serious question now RT III... When I stumble on my bonanza, how does one process the ore?? Truck it to Newmont's place??

best,
bill

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you go about getting started on the career path of an adventurer, or treasure hunter? ......... where do you, for example, get your leads on a possible treasure? ............ Where do you take your find in order to make a profit, do museums or antique shops purchase them? Is it beneficial to work with others in this trade of sorts? If so, what is the best way to go about meeting these people?

It's been a while since you asked, so I will offer my insights on these questions.
1. You can follow a couple of paths the get started. You can just strike out on your own and learn as you go. Or, you can try to volunteer as an intern with an established recovery group/company. You could learn their established proceedures and methods before going solo.
2. you get your leads from lots of places. Start with the treasure stories. Yes they are cheesy, campy, and mostly false, but they got a start from SOMETHING. Begin researching in the libraries and archives for the history behind the story. You can read OLD newpaper articles about shipping losses and thefts. Run down ALL the facts. You have to be able to read between lines and learn where to look for clues.
3. 2 ways on treasure disposal. Go public, hire lawyers, wait years and costly court battles over ownership. Pay taxes and maybe be able to eventually sell the peices as authenticated treasure items for about a 1000% markup. This is the Mel Fisher path. Or you can find someone who can afford to pay you cash in exchange for a large discount of the value of the items and everyone stays quiet.
4. yes, you will most certainly have to work with others in many aspects. This COULD be a very risky time as you could be inviting a scam artist, thief, murderer into your confidence. You kinda of just have to develop these friends/contacts over time. Hopefully these people you trust can then put you in contact with other trustworthy people. You could need local guides, interpreters, lawyers, bankers, fences, mechanical/repair techs or security people and many other things which it would be very nice to be able trust who you talk to.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Uh, about that free website we were promised? Could be it never will arrive in time to do us explorers & adventurers & lie swappers
much good. I like what Spanishau said about being watched all the time he was in country. Tells me if you're not Ecuadorian you be
the likely target, maybe need eyes in back of head to pan a pinch.

Lasgidi9

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2012
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to come to Ecuador and be apart of this operation, please PM me so we can talk privately.

pmuggs

Aug 8, 2012
Brantford ON
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And then if possible, post an update on the forum. It would be helpful to many of us. The people on this site have really helped me understand ambitions I once thought of as just dreams. I know now that living a life away from the rat race is possible, and I'd very much like to hear how everythings going with the operation. I got a few more years before I'll see Ecuador, but by God I haven't given up on the dream yet! keep us all posted. Untill next time.

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what progress has been made with respect to expeditions, workable ground, logistics, interested people,,,,,?

neeniehose

insider2

Mar 22, 2013
East of Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Count me in for the Ecuador Adventure! My prospecting partner Pete is from Columbia, and speaks fluent Spanish. We are well financed, well equipped, and ready for adventure!

Nov 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ready

Let me know what i need to join the team, and when it will begin. I have advanced scuba diving certification and would love to help with this exploration any way possible

pmuggs

Aug 8, 2012
Brantford ON
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't be sure if I'm acting averse to any site standard regarding etiquette by bumping this old post, but I felt compelled to do so anyhow, so apologies in advance. It's been a long while since I've communicated with any of you on this site (my prior contributions to the site were limited almost to this particular thread exclusively anyhow) and I've decided to come back and inform all of you who may be interested that I did end up taking your advice. I am currently enrolled in a 4 year BA program studying criminology and history, and where I go from there is uncertain. But in reaching this milestone, I was reminded of my purpose in striving to attain higher education, which is to use it as leverage, or a means to treasure hunt and see the world. The thought of the 9-5 grind still does not appeal to me (it likely never will) so I decided to revive this thread in hopes of also reviving my friendships, or perhaps more accurately, acquaintanceships, with it's various posters. Many of you have been very supportive of my ambitions, and have all had much to contribute in way of pointing me in the right direction. Now that I have taken that all important first step, and decided upon getting a degree for myself, I must ask of your help once again: where do I go upon graduation? It seems as though the Ecuador operation mentioned in the title is a no-go, so does anyone have any other information as to what I should do upon receiving my degree and entering the big, bad world? I look very much forward to hearing from you again, and regret the lapse in time that has passed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread