Want to show a chunk of clear Beryl i found the other day.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The clarity of this is amazing. Even without the blue sky shining through I can see a trace of blue in the crystal. Weight 600 Grams. Thanks for looking. Clear Beryl and Amythest 013.JPG Clear Beryl and Amythest 014.JPG Clear Beryl and Amythest 015.JPG Clear Beryl and Amythest 016.JPG Clear Beryl and Amythest 017.JPG

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, if I understand correctly, I take a piece of known quartz and try to scratch the piece I'm unsure of? If it leaves a mark, the suspect piece is softer (or the same as?) quartz. If it doesn't leave a mark, it's a harder mineral (and I'd have to figure out exactly which 'harder mineral' it was at that point). Do I have this right? Thanks again-- Yakker

You are on the right track. Good starting place.

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can buy Mohs Hardness scratch kits . This will help you start to narrow down the process a bit G.L

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can buy Mohs Hardness scratch kits . This will help you start to narrow down the process a bit G.L

Hey rodoconnor, where is the best place to buy the scratch kits. I saw a 10 piece set on Ebay but if I remember right it was 97.00. Hope I can find the set lower than that. Thanks.

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glen, ebay is a source, probably the least expensive. Geological supply sites online also have them pretty reasonable . G/L Rod

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glen , do you have the good old Rockpecker Notes by La Rune? A great resource.Full of information !

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey rodoconnor, where is the best place to buy the scratch kits. I saw a 10 piece set on Ebay but if I remember right it was 97.00. Hope I can find the set lower than that. Thanks.

Look or google for geological supplies. They can be found cheaper there sometimes.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, I think 70-80$ is about the lowest I've seen to.

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I have most, if not all of the things that seem to be in a test kit (glass, copper scrap, nails, unglazed porcelain, dental pick, mag. glasses). And I just found my book on rocks and gems which has a hardness scale. Am I missing something? Some secret thing that's in a kit that I'm not seeing? Thanks again- Yakker

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I have most, if not all of the things that seem to be in a test kit (glass, copper scrap, nails, unglazed porcelain, dental pick, mag. glasses). And I just found my book on rocks and gems which has a hardness scale. Am I missing something? Some secret thing that's in a kit that I'm not seeing? Thanks again- Yakker

Yakker you are fine, I have been looking for a scratch test kit that is less expensive than Ebay and they were trying to help. I have quartz to scratch with that is 7 on Mohs scale of hardness but I was wanting to find the whole kit.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my test kit there is:

(steel) nail or knife, magnet or compass, unglazed porcelain, acid and loupe.

The "or" is because I use others things in the field. I don't carry a magnet into the field, but a compass is almost always on my belt.

You'll do perfectly fine with vinegar as acid, available in the food store.

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much! I'll start testing all the things I've found and see what I have! I'll report if I find anything interesting- Yakker

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yakker you are fine, I have been looking for a scratch test kit that is less expensive than Ebay and they were trying to help. I have quartz to scratch with that is 7 on Mohs scale of hardness but I was wanting to find the whole kit.

Well, I guess depending on how small and/or technical you're needing, here's this-

Mineralab Deluxe Hardness Pick Set | Jon-Don

right down the the very least of them all:

Rock & Mineral Testing Kit - Hardness, Color & Acid Tests

Of course that last one is... well.. you know ;) Yak

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used