Want to show a chunk of clear Beryl i found the other day.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The clarity of this is amazing. Even without the blue sky shining through I can see a trace of blue in the crystal. Weight 600 Grams. Thanks for looking. Clear Beryl and Amythest 013.JPG Clear Beryl and Amythest 014.JPG Clear Beryl and Amythest 015.JPG Clear Beryl and Amythest 016.JPG Clear Beryl and Amythest 017.JPG

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is a HUGE piece. Nice and gemmy, to! You should consider having some pieces cut, now that would be cool.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gorgeous piece. It should fluoresce weakly under UV....either pale yellow, or pink in both SW & LW, or possibly white in LW only.
Jim

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find Glenn! And you found that just a mountain (or two) away from me!

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think shaman was howling about it ;)
Excellent stone there :thumbsup: if you test it for fluorescence see if you can get a pic.

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just amazing. Question: as a total amature, how would I be able to tell the difference between regular old quartz and that? Or something else like that? I'm finding clear stone in Nelson Co. which I assumed was quartz. But now I'm uncertain. I'll try to post pics on a new thread. Thanks in advance for an tips. HH! Yakker

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much BurntBear- I'll check both sites out and see what I can figure out. ;) Yakker

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just amazing. Question: as a total amature, how would I be able to tell the difference between regular old quartz and that? Or something else like that? I'm finding clear stone in Nelson Co. which I assumed was quartz. But now I'm uncertain. I'll try to post pics on a new thread. Thanks in advance for an tips. HH! Yakker

Hello yakker. You can do a home Specific gravity test and a hardness test. Those will give a close idea of what it is. If you have a piece of quartz and got to be quartz then if it does not scratch a stone then its got to be harder than quartz which is 7 hardness on Mohs scale. The Goshenite I tested is 7.5 to 8 hardness. Hope this helps and there are those on here that can tell you more than I can on this subject. I am sure they will chime in and help you.

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello yakker. You can do a home Specific gravity test and a hardness test. Those will give a close idea of what it is. If you have a piece of quartz and got to be quartz then if it does not scratch a stone then its got to be harder than quartz which is 7 hardness on Mohs scale. The Goshenite I tested is 7.5 to 8 hardness. Hope this helps and there are those on here that can tell you more than I can on this subject. I am sure they will chime in and help you.

So, if I understand correctly, I take a piece of known quartz and try to scratch the piece I'm unsure of? If it leaves a mark, the suspect piece is softer (or the same as?) quartz. If it doesn't leave a mark, it's a harder mineral (and I'd have to figure out exactly which 'harder mineral' it was at that point). Do I have this right? Thanks again-- Yakker

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread