What's new

War medal /coin???

Tector

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2011
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Davenport, ia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax
So I got my dad into the joys of metal detecting. He found this on day two in a yard of an old house in northern missouri. It's 1 1/4" in diameter and 1/10" thick. He says it's heavy for it's size. Suspects its lead or silver. Doubtful it's silver with the corrosion? Above the face there's writing he can't make out. I think this find should get him officially hooked on yard fishing! Thanks in advance.
 

Attachments

  • 100_5715-1.webp
    100_5715-1.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 563
  • 100_5723-1.webp
    100_5723-1.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 554
  • 100_5724-1.webp
    100_5724-1.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 560
:hello:

Well I would say that's Pewter, and some sort of Commemorative Medal :icon_scratch:...over to the US Guys :thumbsup: Nice find :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

Well I would say that's Pewter, and some sort of Commemorative Medal :icon_scratch:...over to the US Guys :thumbsup: Nice find :icon_thumleft:

SS
:icon_thumright: (early 20th C, most likely)
 
Upvote 0
Looks to me like a Civil War General.
 
Upvote 0
can you try to get a nice clear overhead picture? i can read the words a little bit on the obverse, but i can only make out SAT at about 1 oclock
 
Upvote 0
He said he was soaking in lime juice so hopefully it helps. I'll work on gettin better pics.
 
Upvote 0
No luck with the cleaning. Starting @ about 9 o'clock it says, "maj. Gen".
 
Upvote 0
My first impression was Jeff Davis, Civil War. Missouri was a "Southern State."

Best,
Scott
 
Upvote 0
I'm going with a Civil War token, and it looks a lot like Jefferson Davis as AU said, but it also looks like Abe Lincoln. Great find, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • MajGeneral.webp
    MajGeneral.webp
    35 KB · Views: 468
Upvote 0
My vote is a Confederate veterans medal, looks like Lee to me. Can't be Jeff Davis since he wasn't a
Major General. I searched a bit online and didn't find a match, if you can pull even a few letters out of the name we might be able to nail it
 
Upvote 0
Tector said:
He said he was soaking in lime juice so hopefully it helps. I'll work on gettin better pics.

not a good idea on pewter.

Breezie said:
I'm going with a Civil War token, and it looks a lot like Jefferson Davis as AU said, but it also looks like Abe Lincoln. Great find, Breezie

Its not a token, its a medallion/medal & the hole is deliberate for a ribbon, the hole often had another larger loop to attach it to a ribbon band where it was safety pinned on.
These are very common for all types of occasion/commemoration. Just need a few letters to help pin down the search.
 
Upvote 0
Are you sure it says Major or could the word be Malice? I'm still thinking the pic looks like Abe, although in the medal below his profile is not quite the same.
 

Attachments

  • army-civil-war-campaign-medal-16243.webp
    army-civil-war-campaign-medal-16243.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 446
Upvote 0
Kinda looks like William Tecumseh Sherman to me...although I haven't spotted a medal yet. Here is one listed as a "dog tag" of Major general McClellan
 

Attachments

  • sherman2.webp
    sherman2.webp
    1.8 KB · Views: 435
  • sherman.gif
    sherman.gif
    45.3 KB · Views: 440
  • dog t.webp
    dog t.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 476
Upvote 0
New member. I am hector, father of Tector. Great hobby! I have read the posts and would lend a couple of observations. In the first photo the most distinguishable part of the bust is the neckline which resembles, for lack of a better identifier, a cowcatcher on a old locomotive. Secondly, it appears that an identification would more likely come from the reverse side. There are depicted very clear distinguishing features that would solve the riddle. This obviously will only help if one is on file or in someones' possession for comparison. To muddle the puzzle, Missouri, was a slave owning Union state so this could go either way Reb or Yank.
Hope we get a hit on this.
 
Upvote 0
hector said:
New member. I am hector, father of Tector. Great hobby! I have read the posts and would lend a couple of observations. In the first photo the most distinguishable part of the bust is the neckline which resembles, for lack of a better identifier, a cowcatcher on a old locomotive. Secondly, it appears that an identification would more likely come from the reverse side. There are depicted very clear distinguishing features that would solve the riddle. This obviously will only help if one is on file or in someones' possession for comparison. To muddle the puzzle, Missouri, was a slave owning Union state so this could go either way Reb or Yank.
Hope we get a hit on this.
Hello Tector. Welcome to the forum.

I can say with almost certainty that this will be solved. Its a group effort.

Is it MAJ. GENERAL or MAJ. GEN. or MAJOR GENERAL? I need to know to google search.

I see what looks like an S at about 1 o'clock.

I see what looks like a star top right. I also see what looks like an arrow on the bottom. Maybe he served in the Indian Wars or was shot by an arrow? What is that diamond shape in the center?
 

Attachments

  • unknown 100_5724-1.webp
    unknown 100_5724-1.webp
    26 KB · Views: 434
Upvote 0
Hello Tector, WELCOME to TNet. Could you or Hector put some baby powder on it and then gently rub off the powder from the highest points, then take a straight-on overhead pic?

BCH, Yes, it looks like an "S" to me too. Could it be a "C" on one side and an "S" on the other for Confederate States?

I am hector, father of Tector. Great hobby! I have read the posts and would lend a couple of observations. In the first photo the most distinguishable part of the bust is the neckline which resembles, for lack of a better identifier, a cowcatcher on a old locomotive. Secondly, it appears that an identification would more likely come from the reverse side. There are depicted very clear distinguishing features that would solve the riddle.
Great idea Hector, but sure to post your findings; I feel sure we can all solve this one.
 
Upvote 0
hector,
Welcome to Treasurenet!
(Your next move is to become a Charter Member!)

If my money goes on the table, I'm going with someone Confederate.

Here's a longshot...."Longstreet, CSA." :dontknow:

Best Wishes,
Scott
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
BCH, Yes, it looks like an "S" to me too. Could it be a "C" on one side and an "S" on the other for Confederate States?

Breezie
I think the S is going to be part of his name. I need to know if its "GEN" or "GENERAL" on the medal to guess at his name by how it will fit.


ADDED: I read back and I see you said "MAJ. GEN." sorry. :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • unknown maj gen.webp
    unknown maj gen.webp
    17 KB · Views: 419
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Could you or Hector put some baby powder on it and then gently rub off the powder from the highest points, then take a straight-on overhead pic?

Breezie

WOW, Breezie, you blow me away!
That's such a good idea that I can't believe I didn't think of it! :laughing7:
I'm always interested in image restoration including rubbings, etc.

You keep on keepin' on, Girl! :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,
Scott
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom