War Medals Restoration?

Rich jaws

Oct 27, 2014
NY
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These medals belong to a friend of mine. They were given to her great grandfather after WWI (After "The War" one says.) Her family is interested in possible having them restored. Does anyone know a reputable place to have this done?

Thanks

Rich

IMG_3806.JPG IMG_3807.JPG IMG_3809.JPG IMG_3810.JPG

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can buy ribbons to replace the damaged ones - Ebay has the multi colored, didn't see the black and gold.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool pieces...
IMO, I would leave the ribbons as is.
(Same goes for coins... do not clean)

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Victory medal with campaign bars seems to be in pretty good shape and I would leave it alone. The New Jersey medal I would try to stabilize to keep it from fraying any further and then frame them both with a photo and some info about the soldier who earned them. My thought would be to put a small piece of cotton cloth inside the ribbon and carefully attach it and the frayed bits with an archival fabric adhesive.

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT TOUCH THEM!!!!! as said previously but had to add to the pile. Don't clean don't restore

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the above posters. Put them in a frame as it. If you put new ribbon on the one it will look new. Finding an old ribbon in good shape is a possibility on ebay. That soldier saw some heavy action in the battles he was in. Wow! Gary

Upvote 0

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I would take a piece of firm , clear plastic , like from a file folder , ape the clear plastic to a table to start with , & lay the damaged fabric on top of it. Superglue the one good side of that ribbon to the plastic. After it dries , do a little at a time to straighten the fabric onto the plastic, as good as you can, & super glue it in place. Once that dries, do a little more, etc., etc. Once totally finished, cut the plastic to the size of the ribbon, & you will have permanent, clear backing. It is tedious, & most likely you will need a helped. TAKE YOUR TIME !

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread