WARD BASED HIS STORY ON ORIGINAL "THE BEALE PAPERS" PUBLISHED 1850

Status
Not open for further replies.
My reasoning for wondering about George L Hart is specifically his connection to Masonry. As many here know I'm confident the Papers are Masonic in origin but I'm wondering if in fact Hart knew this as well....not that he was involved with their creation (he was only 10 yrs old when it was published), but perhaps upon reading it he saw the Masonic elements of the story that would not be so obvious to non-Masons and felt it his role to breathe new life into what was at the time was a completely forgotten story; updating the public as to the location of Buford's, the connection of Ward etc...saying a lot while not saying anything at all.... The fact is he got a ton of things wrong. As mentioned by so many; there is nothing in the Papers saying the "J" in Beale's name stood for "Jefferson", nor was the Planters Hotel in St. Louis in existence in 1822- so he could not have written the ciphers from there. Why he would add that is plainly odd. The entire seance is also odd.

Reb- So, George Sr. was a 32 degree Scottish Rite Mason affiliated with the Roanoke Lodge or a member of a DC Lodge? And what was his occupation?

If George, Sr. was living in DC with his son, George, Jr, (the Judge)... COULD have been "made" 32nd "at-sight" at the TEMPLE in DC. Retired...

Speaking of the seance...the 18 yr old individual hypnotized by Clayton Hart provides a location that the three traveled to and dug at...with Clayton using dynamite later on to blow up a tree under which the boy said the treasure was located. If I follow the clues provided by Hart, it appears they went towards the Peaks of Otter- which is basically NE of Montvale...following Goose Creek Road but then got out on foot and followed the creek up-slope....slowly moving to the NW so that when they got to the top they were at a pass which would lead them to Buchanan over the Blue Ridge. I would take that to mean they were at Bearwallow Gap (highway 43) at what is now the Blue Ridge Parkway. Does that jive with everyone? Its either that gap or Bobblets Gap.

VERY close. The "medium" was FIRST use of REMOTE-VIEWING for treasure-hunting in HISTORY!
NOW!, As to the "Road"... wife & I were on that Road, going to Buchanan, Va. last week; went to Library & Town Office; then on to Lexington, Va. for two nites, 3 days (VMI & John Marshall Foundation Research Library). There is a Road from Montvale that goes to Buchanan (Upper Goose Creek Valley Road...); the land is BEAUTIFUL! We DID take Rt. 43-N on the BRP from Peaks of Otter, and it runs over the UGCVR, at the "curve" of the BRP; far as I know... it is ALL Fed-land.

Last edited:
Reb- I'm in China at the moment but I'm missing Ol' Dominion for sure...will have to meet up with you at some point...your description is killin' me...I can just imagine the colors of the trees now.... I'm in agreement with you- where Skyline Dr and Hwy 43 meet IS Bearwallow Gap and basically where the dynamite incident happened. Its the only road which leads to Buchanan from Montvale.

That is definitely so....and Cabell's book was highly circulated nationally. I have found copies of it in libraries as far west as Minnesota

Reb- I'm in China at the moment but I'm missing Ol' Dominion for sure...will have to meet up with you at some point...your description is killin' me...I can just imagine the colors of the trees now.... I'm in agreement with you- where Skyline Dr and Hwy 43 meet IS Bearwallow Gap and basically where the dynamite incident happened. Its the only road which leads to Buchanan from Montvale.

Well, the leaves WERE beautiful... ALL down, now. You are correct about the road... Rt. 43-N intersects Upper Goose Creek Valley Road.

ALL IN THE FAMILY/Part 4-LEWIS & CLARK/THE WAR OF 1812

Gotta add... Lewis & Clark Expedition... ALL of 'em JB Ward & the Hutters boys (cousins) grew up on, and PROBABLY "play-acted" on grandpa JB Risque's Plantation/Farm, near New London, Va...
Harriet Kennerly married John Radford,Dec 23,1806 at her uncle George Hancock Kennerly's Fincastle home.In attendence,was William Clark,who was married to Harriet's first cousin,Julia Hancock.
During the War of 1812,LT George Hancock Kennerly,served along side with Thomas Beale's Sharpshooters,and on July 20,1814,carried the American Flag and the terms of surrender to the British at Praire de Chien.After the war,Kennerly moved back to Fincastle,and with brother James,moved to St Louis to state a merchantile business.
While hunting with a party of friends in Virginia,John Radford was killed by a wild boar,and the widow,Harriet Kennerly Radford and three children moved to St Louis to stay with her uncles,and be near first cousin,Julia Hancock and her husband,William Clark.
Julia died,June 27,1820,and Harriet married William Clark,Nov 28,1821.
Indeed,J B Ward and the Hutter boys heard all the family stories,growing up on Grandfather Risque's plantation.

Harriet Kennerly married John Radford,Dec 23,1806 at her uncle George Hancock Kennerly's Fincastle home.In attendence,was William Clark,who was married to Harriet's first cousin,Julia Hancock.
During the War of 1812,LT George Hancock Kennerly,served along side with Thomas Beale's Sharpshooters,and on July 20,1814,carried the American Flag and the terms of surrender to the British at Praire de Chien.After the war,Kennerly moved back to Fincastle,and with brother James,moved to St Louis to state a merchantile business.
While hunting with a party of friends in Virginia,John Radford was killed by a wild boar,and the widow,Harriet Kennerly Radford and three children moved to St Louis to stay with her uncles,and be near first cousin,Julia Hancock and her husband,William Clark.
Julia died,June 27,1820,and Harriet married William Clark,Nov 28,1821.
Indeed,J B Ward and the Hutter boys heard all the family stories,growing up on Grandfather Risque's plantation.

YEP!

Well, I hope you fellas get it all figured out and eventually find that smoking gun. I'm 100% confident each of you will to your own satisfaction. :laughing7: :thumbsup:

"Beale" = as a French name, the name means - "Handsome/Beautiful".

"and I thought him the handsomest man I had ever seen. Altogether, he was a model of manly beauty, favored by the ladies and envied by men....."

There is no Thomas J. Beale. Some "Thomas Beale" for sure, but no "J". Also, the name Thomas "Jefferson" Beale came from the Hart's, not the story, and they provide no source for "Jefferson" in establishing that name.

And "Risque" is of French origin. As is "connexion" which is the very thing the unknown author has asked readers to make.

But there's a real possibility than one of those Thomas Beales that we know existed had a middle name that started with J. We have no proof, but we have to consider it a possibility.

As far as the spelling of the name Beale...Beal...Beall, etc., old records are full of multiple spellings for the same surname. Exact spellings and even exact dates are not always accurate, or consistent in old record.

But there's a real possibility than one of those Thomas Beales that we know existed had a middle name that started with J. We have no proof, but we have to consider it a possibility.

As far as the spelling of the name Beale...Beal...Beall, etc., old records are full of multiple spellings for the same surname. Exact spellings and even exact dates are not always accurate, or consistent in old record.

TWO Thomas Beales; Thomas Beale, Sr. & Thomas Beale, Jr.; Thomas Beale, Jr.'s name was used... Thomas, Jr. Beale = Thomas J. Beale... SEE...? ONLY IN THE HART PAPERS!

Last edited:
TWO Thomas Beales; Thomas Beale, Sr. & Thomas Beale, Jr.; Thomas Beale, Jr.'s name was used... Thomas, Jr. Beale = Thomas J. Beale... SEE...? ONLY IN THE HART PAPERS!

Could be. Actually there is another Thomas J. Beale who could have passably been the son, but I'm not sure. There seems to be some dispute on Jr's birth date.

I seriously doubt the author continued to use an inaccurate spelling of the main character's name. If this is the case then why on earth would anyone hold any value or accuracy in anything else the author wrote? This is the main character, the guy the book is all about, "Thomas J. Beale".

In the very beginning of the book we are asked to make the "connexion" which is French Creole. This is the only time this spelling is used.

"Thomas J." = "Thomas Jefferson", the author of the DOI. "Beale" = handsome, beauty, when used as a French name. "and I thought him the handsomest man I had ever seen. Altogether, he was a model of manly beauty, favored by the ladies and envied by men....."

Your author is referencing "Thomas Jefferson/Beale", or = U.S./French.

cartoon.jpg

Notice this cartoon, 1816 I believe, so the theory I've been suggesting to you isn't a new one. In essence this cartoon is suggesting that Napoleon has stung Jefferson, forcing him to puke up gold coins for the property the puppet master (Tallyrand) is using as bait. Ironically, who was right back in Texas beginning in 1816 and who got an immediate land grant in 1817 to start their vine & olive colony? This is what your Beale Pamphlet is all about. But unless you understand the politics involved you'll never grasp the theory. This cartoon is accurate in what it suggest.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt the author continued to use an inaccurate spelling of the main character's name. If this is the case then why on earth would anyone hold any value or accuracy in anything else the author wrote? This is the main character, the guy the book is all about, "Thomas J. Beale".

In the very beginning of the book we are asked to make the "connexion" which is French Creole. This is the only time this spelling is used.

"Thomas J." = "Thomas Jefferson", the author of the DOI. "Beale" = handsome, beauty, when used as a French name. "and I thought him the handsomest man I had ever seen. Altogether, he was a model of manly beauty, favored by the ladies and envied by men....."

View attachment 1083740

Being written, & released in 1885; WHO knows...?

View attachment 1083740

Notice this cartoon, 1816 I believe, so the theory I've been suggesting to you isn't a new one. In essence this cartoon is suggesting that Napoleon has stung Jefferson, forcing him to puke up gold coins for the property the puppet master (Tallyrand) is using as bait. Ironically, who was right back in Texas beginning in 1816 and who got an immediate land grant in 1817 to start their vine & olive colony? This is what your Beale Pamphlet is all about. But unless you understand the politics involved you'll never grasp the theory. This cartoon is accurate in what it suggest.

If you've done much genealogy, you know that surnames sometimes have alternate spellings, many times disputed as which one is correct. This exists in my own family, on both sides. And mine is not the only one. The things you're saying may well be right, I don't dispute that. Just saying that our Beale's name could have had a J in it.

Could be. Actually there is another Thomas J. Beale who could have passably been the son, but I'm not sure. There seems to be some dispute on Jr's birth date.

I'm wrong about this guy possibly being Beale JR., as the birth date is 1822. But his name was Thomas J. Beale.

I'm wrong about this guy possibly being Beale JR., as the birth date is 1822. But his name was Thomas J. Beale.

Consider this....thousands of researchers have scoured records for more then 125 years since the pamphlet's publication...."still no Thomas J. Beale to fill the billing." Why? And it is way unlikely that the author got his intended name wrong. He is the main focus of the book, the most important subject in the book.

Beal Ave. Named after a Mexican American war hero?. A good location and central between many destinations. One account claims Bourbon street down river had a renter who ran a pattern shop. Wood ones for foundry.
His sons used it as a meeting place. Jean and allegedly cross eyed Pierre though both considered handsome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back