What's new

Warren & Steele musket help please

GOZZER

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 6, 2025
Messages
6
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
So happy I found this group! I will be spending a lot of time exploring all these wonderful threads! I have this musket that has been passed down and have very little information on it. Will enjoy giving to my son when it is time, but would love to tell him some facts about it. Thank you for any info you can share!
IMG_6811.webp
IMG_6809.webp
IMG_6810.webp
IMG_6812.webp
IMG_6813.webp
IMG_6814.webp
IMG_6815.webp
IMG_6816.webp
IMG_6817.webp
IMG_6818.webp
IMG_6819.webp
IMG_6820.webp
IMG_6821.webp
 
So happy I found this group! I will be spending a lot of time exploring all these wonderful threads! I have this musket that has been passed down and have very little information on it. Will enjoy giving to my son when it is time, but would love to tell him some facts about it. Thank you for any info you can share!View attachment 2220130View attachment 2220131View attachment 2220132View attachment 2220133View attachment 2220134View attachment 2220135View attachment 2220136View attachment 2220137View attachment 2220138View attachment 2220139View attachment 2220140View attachment 2220141View attachment 2220142

J.Chismore was a relative of the Remington's. (The Remington's of firearm fame.)
Here's a Facebook quote.
[Jimmy McCullough
I have a half stock with p and Remington stamped underneath. It was made and signed by j Chismore who was elaphet Remingtons nephew the son of Elizabeth Remington. Camp Chismore in New York is named for him, he was caputured at Petersburg ( crater) and died th a pow camp. He made about 25 guns before joining the army.]

I didn't look up Warren and Steele.
Half stock rifle suits the Civil war era for new builds.
Double pinned and trigger guard style hint of Hawkins farther West . (St. Lewis around 1820 to start thier shop there.)
The cheek piece a bit fancy. And hints of earlier rifles like certain full stock "golden age" ones..
But builders had thier inspirations from multiple sources. And multiple "schools" of build existed over time .

The builder didn't make thier own lock (Warren and Steele did that ).
I don't know if J.C. made the octagon to round barrel or just put his mark on it.
 
Upvote 0
J.Chismore was a relative of the Remington's. (The Remington's of firearm fame.)
Here's a Facebook quote.
[Jimmy McCullough
I have a half stock with p and Remington stamped underneath. It was made and signed by j Chismore who was elaphet Remingtons nephew the son of Elizabeth Remington. Camp Chismore in New York is named for him, he was caputured at Petersburg ( crater) and died th a pow camp. He made about 25 guns before joining the army.]

I didn't look up Warren and Steele.
Half stock rifle suits the Civil war era for new builds.
Double pinned and trigger guard style hint of Hawkins farther West . (St. Lewis around 1820 to start thier shop there.)
The cheek piece a bit fancy. And hints of earlier rifles like certain full stock "golden age" ones..
But builders had thier inspirations from multiple sources. And multiple "schools" of build existed over time .

The builder didn't make thier own lock (Warren and Steele did that ).
I don't know if J.C. made the octagon to round barrel or just put his mark on it.
Thank you so much for that info! That is far more than I could ever find. This is a wonderful site with very knowledgeable people. I feel blessed to have found it for many other reasons. I love treasure hunting and learning about history. This website is full of great minds and info.
 
Upvote 0
J.Chismore was a relative of the Remington's. (The Remington's of firearm fame.)
Here's a Facebook quote.
[Jimmy McCullough
I have a half stock with p and Remington stamped underneath. It was made and signed by j Chismore who was elaphet Remingtons nephew the son of Elizabeth Remington. Camp Chismore in New York is named for him, he was caputured at Petersburg ( crater) and died th a pow camp. He made about 25 guns before joining the army.]

I didn't look up Warren and Steele.
Half stock rifle suits the Civil war era for new builds.
Double pinned and trigger guard style hint of Hawkins farther West . (St. Lewis around 1820 to start thier shop there.)
The cheek piece a bit fancy. And hints of earlier rifles like certain full stock "golden age" ones..
But builders had thier inspirations from multiple sources. And multiple "schools" of build existed over time .

The builder didn't make thier own lock (Warren and Steele did that ).
I don't know if J.C. made the octagon to round barrel or just put his mark on it.
This is fascinating and would really like to find out more info
 
Upvote 0
thanks for the clarification-new to old black powder rifles
No problem. Basically, a musket is a large caliber, full stock, smoothbore military arm. There are a wide variety of muzzleloading rifles, this one is a smaller caliber half stock hunting type rifle.
 
Upvote 0
Beautiful, preserved family heirloom. Congrats & welcome to TreasureNet !! Cheers !!
 
Upvote 0
No problem. Basically, a musket is a large caliber, full stock, smoothbore military arm. There are a wide variety of muzzleloading rifles, this one is a smaller caliber half stock hunting type rifle.
It is a heavy rifle for sure
 
Upvote 0
Isn't it a confederate rifle ?
 
Upvote 0
Isn't it a confederate rifle ?
There is no indication that it is. Very, very early in the civil war there was some usage of civilian rifles but it was rare. Some sharpshooters used heavy barreled civilian target rifles as well, but again, it was rare.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom