Was I Wrong??

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
A short explanation and then the question.

Last summer I had received word that I was going to Iraq. This would be my third trip over there and for some reason my mind really started to work overtime with the “what if” scenarios. I guess I’m getting old. Anyway, I have a son who is 15 and we had been out prospecting for gold several times with limited success. With the “what if” thing lurking, I thought how great would it be if we had a really good day with color in the pan. A day that would hold a special memory for my son. So, I purchased a bag of “guaranteed” concentrates and our last trip out before I left for my deployment I salted his bucket with some of the concentrates. He has become a pretty good panner and sure enough, “Hey Dad, look what I got!” We kept digging and I mixed in the last of the concentrates and again he came up with several pans with some nice little flakes. It was great! We drove home and he showed his mother what he had found. She looked at me and winked having been in on the secret. I left the following week and of course returned home safe.

While I was deployed I related my story to some of the other guys and most had a good laugh. One guy however laid the “those who practice to deceive” line on me. I started to wonder if I really did my son disservice. I didn’t talk about it anymore but it still bothers me a little. My son still believes we got lucky.

I like to think that this is no different than when Santa would come to visit. The kids find out eventually, are a little disappointed but still hold on to those memories of how fun it was. Some day I’ll tell him about it.

So, did I do a bad thing?

I think it was a wonderful thing.
Several years ago a sporting mag published a story of a Special Forces soldier who buried his favorite sporting arms and other things for his son if he didn't return from Nam. He gave the map to a friend before he deployed with the understanding that the friend would help the son find them when he came of age if he failed to return.
He didn't make it back.
The story of that cache hunt was a tearjerker.

Dont worry he will remember that day all his life. In my book good job. Oh what do you mean there is no Santa? :sad1:

Glad you made it back ! I will be over there this summer and good memories are important for your children. I bought my little girl one of those very cheap little detectors and I throw quarters down for her to find and she gets so excited. I get as much out of it as she does. :)

So, did I do a bad thing?

You had fun together, yes? I wouldn't worry about “those who practice to deceive” lines.

AA, Some Dads never make an effort to bond and let the kids learn. When they are very young,you have Easter Bunny and Santa, as they get older most of us find another way,
it could be at the fishing hole, hunting, gold prospecting or treasure hunting any Dad interested in their kids would do something like you did or lie that they didn't. Just keep it to Dad and Mom. I don't want to hear it.LOL Gnewt

Glad your back. Thanks for serving. I don't consider that deceiving. Just a nice thing to do for your son. What about Santa, Easter bunny, Tooth Fairy,etc?

You DID NOT do a bad thing. That naysaying fool did. He had a serious condition I call Cranial Vertical Rectalidus.. People like that live to muddy other people's memories and beliefs. You and your son had a fantastic day to remember and that negative puke can't stand the idea that YOU did something to leave good memories for you son. During my own years of military service, I ran into several people like that. Living is too important to allow wet blankets to rule the day.

GOOD ON YA DAD !!!!!!!!! :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

ANY good memories with your children/family is a good thing, and I think its even better, because you went out of your way to have that memory.

I going to have to assume that the guy in your outfit with the "deceive" attitude" doesn't believe in doing the Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny with kids either.

Don't let it bug you.

Glad you are back, and thank you for your service.

B

Nope,
You did nothing wrong.
as a matter of fact,
I wish the nay sayers could see where you actually did something right.

I wonder how many would have gone so far out of their way to light up our kid's face that way.

or would you have said (even if I don't get to see my kid happy before I go... I can't do that)

Thom

Thanks for minding my back,
Your service doesn't go unnoticed here. :icon_salut:

Being a father myself, with two children, MHO is that you did NOTHING wrong.

It is a bonding thing. Nothing wrong with creating some happy memories for your son, just in case.

God Bless you and thank you for your service to our wonderful country.

Ray S :thumbsup:

How could such a beautiful gesture from your heart be wrong? It isn't. What you did was out of love for you son. You two share a beautiful memory. Somethings are better left unsaid. Leave it be. You where doing a good deed. The Bible says ....to not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing....when you do good deeds. (in others words keep it to yourself) Enjoy the memory. I wish there where more dad's like you around.

Thank you for serving our country. I am happy you made it back home.

HH,
Pepper

Thank you! Welcome home too!!!
Proud of you Dad! You made a special memory for you all! As an "old" parent, I've done the magic too!
In my book, You're a Great Dad!! Keep on making magic, Coz if you don't.............the next generation will never know what magic is...............................

Also could be called Parental Liberties. Like using first and middle name, when making an important statement! :thumbsup:

You only did it that one time, right? You aren't devoting your life to giving your son false expectations, are you? I think you did a wonderful thing. Sounds like everyone else you told the story to in Iraq did, too. Except for one negative person. Don't let him spoil it for you. I think you're a great Dad. I bet your wife does, too. And your son.

Glad you made it back safely!

You number ONE in my book GI. Your son will always remember that special day he and his dad found GOLD together! Not the day he found gold but the day you both found The Gold. No need to tell him otherwise. I only wish more fathers loved their kids as you do. Oh and by the way, Thanks For Serving!

Desertfox

I too wish to say THANKS and glad you're home safe.

My only other comment is this: ANYTHING you do for your children out of the kindess and love of your heart can NEVER be wrong.

Should your son ever find out, tell him the truth. You were worried you may not live to see him again. You loved him. You wanted to share something special with him that he would always remember. He'll love and respect you for it just the same.

All I can say is, if I found out years later that my father had salted the hunt site so I could find, feel elated and enjoy the day and the memory, I would feel that much more special about my father. It's the added things like that that make memories, love memories. Someone went out of their way to special up the day.

Bah humbug on the input you got from your coworker. Sounds like he missed out on a lot in his childhood.

Noodle

I'd like to thank everyone for the kind words of support. It was a really great day!

I need to clarify one thing. I am not a soldier. I am a Department of The Army Civilian. When I deploy, I work ammunition logistics issues at the using unit level traveling around providing ammunition logistics assistance to the Warfighter. The men and women that are over there are the greatest! Dedicated, smart, and tough as nails. It has been a real honor to serve with them.

Again, thanks and take care.

HH

A service is a service , Period.

We respect and honor that Here.

In some ways it takes a lot more guts to do your job than it takes a soldier to do his.
He was ordered to go, You, volunteered, and then worked unarmed !
I wonder how many realize this?
We are glad you made the sacrifice and even more glad you made it back.
Now enjoy this time with your wonderful family.

Give that budding treasure hunter of a son ... some more days to look back on.

Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back