Was supposed to be a test run with Minelab Explorer 2 - not bad!

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've used White's for 20+ years. So busy these days i rarely get a chance to hunt. Anyway, went to a site we beat to death years ago and was planning to just learn my explorer. Well, when I started digging really deep signals and they were goodies I realized there was more at this old site. I tweaked and saved a program and dug signals the whole time there. My poor buddy wasnt getting any signals with his DFX. I'm not kidding when I say some of these targets were over 15" deep. In fact, the first few I thought were phantoms. But not!

When I get more time, I am heading back. This site is just 15 minutes away. I'll tweak the explorer a bit more if possible. Only my 3rd short hunt with it and i am more than just a little impressed.

Attachments

• CIMG1205.JPG
    CIMG1205.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,862
  • CIMG1208.JPG
    CIMG1208.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,863
  • CIMG1213.JPG
    CIMG1213.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,858
  • CIMG1214.JPG
    CIMG1214.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,856
  • CIMG1215.JPG
    CIMG1215.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,869
  • CIMG1217.JPG
    CIMG1217.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,842
  • CIMG1218.JPG
    CIMG1218.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,849
Upvote 7
i know i wished i had the money for a minelab or two the 4500 nad the 5000 i would be fit to be tied with that pair

I love the cut silver, GW! I hope to get my coil over a few of those some day.

Not bad at all. I too switched from a whites to an Explorer II, and have never looked back. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Congrats on your test run,Ive been hearing more and more good things about minelabs lately. :icon_sunny:,Ill have to save my clad and give my white a break :laughing7:

Nice finds keep up the good work.... :icon_thumright:

WOW now thats what I call a test run!!! :icon_pirat:

Did the DFX owner sweep the target be for you dug to see if it could see it in the ground... and was his detector in all metal with out discrimination..for the best results and was his cranked up...what are the coil sizes were they the same... liftloop

ok i'll give you 20 bucks for the dfx and thats my final offer

liftloop said:
Did the DFX owner sweep the target be for you dug to see if it could see it in the ground... and was his detector in all metal with out discrimination..for the best results and was his cranked up...what are the coil sizes were they the same... liftloop

Being in all metal wouldn't have proved much because many detectors are deep in all metal. The GTI 2500 would have probably hit them in all metal, but not in disc. mode. And very few people actually hunt in true all metal, especially at sites that have any amount of iron.

liftloop said:
He tried the signals before I dug. At one point when I had the explorer dialed in and couldnt move 10' without getting a signal, I was just marking signals and my buddy was running over them as a test before my digs. He was using a large after market coil - i dont know what it is. It looks like a 5 gal bucket lid and gets great depth when he air tests it. I dont know what program he is using but I use a DFX W/ stock coil, I fine tune my DFX detector for accepting -30 to +95, sensitivity cranked to the precipice of instability and have been over this site so many times and the last few times we've gotten almost nothing for signals. Thats why I picked this site for a test run. There is something to this SE and I have officially made it my main detector (until I get my GPX :headbang:). I'm using the stock coil on the SE.

PS - this is the 2nd test run on a site we've beat to death with DFXs. I got a pocket full of finds on the other site too. My buddy got almost nothing. It is what it is and it does reopen possibilities at scores of sites.

gunntekk1 said:
ok i'll give you 20 bucks for the dfx and thats my final offer
LOL. I better keep them (have another back up and an XLT too).

all put my 5900 di pro in a test a gents that mine lab with the stock 950 coil i bet that 5900 fined any thing that cheap mine lab will find. they say it can pull a penny out of the ground at 14 inches.and that 80ds technologies i have found some deep pay days with the 5900.

all put my 5900 di pro in a test a gents that mine lab with the stock 950 coil i bet that 5900 fined any thing that cheap mine lab will find. they say it can pull a penny out of the ground at 14 inches.and that 80ds technologies i have found some deep pay days with the 5900.

OK,since it's winter I'll resurrect this thing...."cheap Minelab"....I have to staunchly(I wouldn't want to know how THAT word would have looked with the keyboard YOU are using) disagree. Whites are built GREAT! Minelabs,at least the Explorer2 that I OWN,is built GREAT! Which Minelab model do YOU own Liftloop? I was once a bit of a naysayer,and for the price of a Minelab it is easy to be just that,a naysayer. I also have a modified IDXPro that is HOT! 8-9" dime in crap soil IN DISC is HOT! Overall capabilities are very good with the IDX,it will be in my collection forever. But,for that 10-15% of targets that are out of range or hiding in with something,the Minelab shines. What is important? A pissing contest? No,that's not it. What's important is that YOU as a detectorist find great satisfaction in the machine you are using,no matter the brand. It IS easier to find certain deep targets with different brands,some may be better at it than others. And with the price tag,I would expect exactly that! I am lucky to own BOTH brands,and I know where and when it's best to use each one.
But "cheap"...???? Certainly not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back