Was the coin fake?! PICTURES

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, last batch of half dollars I picked out a really dirty 72d half dollar. I did the drip test on it and it sounded dull/odd. Today my curiosity got to me, so I went to the garage, got a hammer and pounded on the edge, and both the top and bottom later peeled off. To my suprise, I think the half dollar was real considering the lower layer was stamped the same as the upper layer(with a bit less detail) , 72d, as well as the back. Did I destroy an error coin, or what? was it real? fake? Thanks for any responses! pictures if requested.

Here's the description of the "lower layer" :
Low detail, makes funny ping when dropped. looks toned as if oil got to it, all reds, oranges, and yellows. Looks otherwise like a normal half dollar from 1972-d except that there's letters blurred due to lack of detail.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 384
Upvote 0

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Was the coin fake?!

can you post pictures?
Is it possible you pulled the clad from the copper core?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

most likely it was a badly mated copper core to the nickle outer coating -- error and you just finished it off.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
most likely it was a badly mated copper core to the nickle outer coating -- error and you just finished it off.
was it worth anything of value?

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Hey Buffalo Boy, If you have a redbook, check out the section about errors. I am not an expert, and it's even harder to say based on what I can see of your pic, but I seem to recall reading about an error that is one of the more rare out there. It had a picture of a coin that kind of had that crimped look to it.

K

Jul 17, 2011
MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheRockDoc said:
Hey Buffalo Boy, If you have a redbook, check out the section about errors. I am not an expert, and it's even harder to say based on what I can see of your pic, but I seem to recall reading about an error that is one of the more rare out there. It had a picture of a coin that kind of had that crimped look to it.

yep, in my redbook it says something about "waffled" coins.

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Cute Tom, good smash. I gotta try that. It's about all today's money is worth, ha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread