Was the coin fake?! PICTURES

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, last batch of half dollars I picked out a really dirty 72d half dollar. I did the drip test on it and it sounded dull/odd. Today my curiosity got to me, so I went to the garage, got a hammer and pounded on the edge, and both the top and bottom later peeled off. To my suprise, I think the half dollar was real considering the lower layer was stamped the same as the upper layer(with a bit less detail) , 72d, as well as the back. Did I destroy an error coin, or what? was it real? fake? Thanks for any responses! pictures if requested.

Here's the description of the "lower layer" :
Low detail, makes funny ping when dropped. looks toned as if oil got to it, all reds, oranges, and yellows. Looks otherwise like a normal half dollar from 1972-d except that there's letters blurred due to lack of detail.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 384
Upvote 0
Re: Was the coin fake?!

can you post pictures?
Is it possible you pulled the clad from the copper core?

most likely it was a badly mated copper core to the nickle outer coating -- error and you just finished it off.

ivan salis said:
most likely it was a badly mated copper core to the nickle outer coating -- error and you just finished it off.
was it worth anything of value?

Hey Buffalo Boy, If you have a redbook, check out the section about errors. I am not an expert, and it's even harder to say based on what I can see of your pic, but I seem to recall reading about an error that is one of the more rare out there. It had a picture of a coin that kind of had that crimped look to it.

TheRockDoc said:
Hey Buffalo Boy, If you have a redbook, check out the section about errors. I am not an expert, and it's even harder to say based on what I can see of your pic, but I seem to recall reading about an error that is one of the more rare out there. It had a picture of a coin that kind of had that crimped look to it.

yep, in my redbook it says something about "waffled" coins.

Cute Tom, good smash. I gotta try that. It's about all today's money is worth, ha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back