What's new

WATCH AND CLOCK MAKERS PRINTING PLATE..SOLVED BY DCMATT AND CURIOUS THE GEORGE!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
9,388
Reaction score
1,685
Golden Thread
0
Location
PA-MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I get home I have an hour of daylight left :( Since it's deer hunting season,I split my time.I live on 154 ac. so I had a 1/2 hr. for the MXT and a 1/2 hr. for the Remington ;D Anyway,let me start with I knew excactly what this puppy was when I popped the plug (9").....A mangled pice of brass :laughing7: Seriously,I put it on the recycle bin and left for the bank barn for the last 1/2 hr.Got back and soap and watered it with a soft toothbrush and started revealing bit by bit an engraving that I can't even get a decent image from.....Yet!!!!(stay tuned).It's all hatch marked on the front and as you can see in some of the cleaned picture's some of the detail........Enough said,In the Eye of the Beholder!!!By the way it was found 15ft. from my Block A button!!!

SEE BELOW OR READ FOR THE RIDE TO SEE :icon_thumright: FAR FROM IT!!!!
 

Attachments

  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 005.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 005.webp
    107.2 KB · Views: 3,705
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 012.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 012.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 3,674
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 008.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 008.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,757
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 018.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 018.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,762
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 019.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 019.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 3,745
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 025.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 025.webp
    56.5 KB · Views: 3,886
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 028.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 028.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 3,880
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 031.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 031.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 3,869
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 034.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 034.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 3,878
Upvote 0
Didn't realize you could "loan" something to a museum. Glad someone informed you of that before you donated it. You and your resource have come up with a lot of history on this plate/person from what I hear. Can't wait to see the plate fixed and find out the rest of the details you all have discovered. Me....besides the history that you and others have discovered. I want to see what's on the other side. :dontknow: It's driving me crazy! Glad to know someone could help you out on further history besides what DC Matt & Curious found. Good luck in many finds in your yard in the future! HH!
 
Thanks to DCMatt for turning me on to this thread. Reading through ALL the posts has really helped me with a piece I found recently, and also given me even a more awesome feeling abut the people on this forum. You guys are uber-helpful!

If you're interested in checking out the watch paper plate I found, check out http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...00s-jewelers-clock-watch-makers-embosser.html

The American Antiquarian Society wants to include it in their research library (a photo, not the actual piece). I'm hoping details on this engraving (actually, it may be acid-etched) will help you further decipher your amazing plate, which actually looks hand etched. Wonderful! Congrats on a super find :)
 
granthansen said:
Thanks to DCMatt for turning me on to this thread. Reading through ALL the posts has really helped me with a piece I found recently, and also given me even a more awesome feeling abut the people on this forum. You guys are uber-helpful!

If you're interested in checking out the watch paper plate I found, check out http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/306569-cool-find-1800s-jewelers-clock-watch-makers-embosser.html

The American Antiquarian Society wants to include it in their research library (a photo, not the actual piece). I'm hoping details on this engraving (actually, it may be acid-etched) will help you further decipher your amazing plate, which actually looks hand etched. Wonderful! Congrats on a super find :)


DCmatt should have been a detective. Well a least he is on t-net.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom