What's new

WATCH AND CLOCK MAKERS PRINTING PLATE..SOLVED BY DCMATT AND CURIOUS THE GEORGE!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
9,388
Reaction score
1,685
Golden Thread
0
Location
PA-MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I get home I have an hour of daylight left :( Since it's deer hunting season,I split my time.I live on 154 ac. so I had a 1/2 hr. for the MXT and a 1/2 hr. for the Remington ;D Anyway,let me start with I knew excactly what this puppy was when I popped the plug (9").....A mangled pice of brass :laughing7: Seriously,I put it on the recycle bin and left for the bank barn for the last 1/2 hr.Got back and soap and watered it with a soft toothbrush and started revealing bit by bit an engraving that I can't even get a decent image from.....Yet!!!!(stay tuned).It's all hatch marked on the front and as you can see in some of the cleaned picture's some of the detail........Enough said,In the Eye of the Beholder!!!By the way it was found 15ft. from my Block A button!!!

SEE BELOW OR READ FOR THE RIDE TO SEE :icon_thumright: FAR FROM IT!!!!
 

Attachments

  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 005.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 005.webp
    107.2 KB · Views: 3,705
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 012.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 012.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 3,674
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 008.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 008.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,757
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 018.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 018.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,762
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 019.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 019.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 3,745
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 025.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 025.webp
    56.5 KB · Views: 3,886
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 028.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 028.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 3,880
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 031.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 031.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 3,869
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 034.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 034.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 3,878
Upvote 0
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

By the way,the back engraving is written backward's!!!Feel free to decipher :thumbsup:
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

That's pretty awesome congrats! Keep us posted when you figure out what it says. I have a feeling its going to be interesting.
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

Great find. I hope someone can decipher that for you. :thumbsup:
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

Awesome relic Militia Plate I would guess and Im sure confederate. You should try to read it in a mirror. That might make it easier to read. I love those clipped corners.
ynp
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

Nice plate.
Congrats
Dman
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

ynpto804 said:
Awesome relic Militia Plate I would guess and Im sure confederate. You should try to read it in a mirror. That might make it easier to read. I love those clipped corners.
ynp
I've got a few piece's already deciphred,just need the rest.Front is awesome :thumbsup:
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

That's a beauty, Joe! Great find! I sent you a PM
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

Thank You Rob,you were the first one I thought of to tell you the truth!
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

VOL1266-X said:
Nice find Joe. In many cases, plates engraved with backward printing are associated with printing. Go figure?? Don't try to shoot a buck with your detector-LOL WTG, Quindy.
My Detector is alway's loaded Quindy :thumbsup: Thank's,4 Doe on the fence line tonight,bit too far!!
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

creskol said:
That's a beauty, Joe! Great find! I sent you a PM
Never got it Rob :dontknow:
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

Great find Joe Congrats that is sweet!!!!!
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

Thank's Bud :thumbsup:
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

Nice find! Moral of that story -- don't throw anything away till you know what it is.

:thumbsup:
Born Free
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

VOL1266-X said:
Nice find Joe. In many cases, plates engraved with backward printing are associated with printing. Go figure?? Don't try to shoot a buck with your detector-LOL WTG, Quindy.

I sometimes wonder if he has the rifle/detector mounted together. LOL Incredible recovery there Joe!!! Its just as you described. It Is An Awesome Piece to say the least, I cant wait to see it in person. Congrats to you buddy!!!
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

Ok, I give up....it's driving me crazy :BangHead:. I've flipped, stretched, zoomed, inverted color, and gone down to individual pixels so many times trying to figure this one out that my eyes are crossed.. :laughing7: I've figured out one word....that's it!...just one!!!!! :angry7: It's such a beautiful piece and to know it's personalized makes it even more exciting. So very AWESOME!!!! With better pictures, I'd bet it would make Banner!!! :headbang:
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

Joe, you may have found a pre war clipped corner Virginia Militia beltplate. I believe they date to the 1850's. They, along with the oval shoulder belt plate that went with the uniform, were poorly constructed and the attachment devices were just soldered on and came off easily. I found one of the oval shoulder belt plates down near Richmond some years ago. It had two solder marks on the back where the pin attached. It also had a makers stamp in the back "Smith & Sons, New York" I believe it was, but may have been Smith & Co, New York.

Here is an example. It says they are commonly found without the attachment devices.
http://www.rulen.com/civilwar/ata1089.htm
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

You may want to try a pencil rubbing to bring out the detail in it. This is the method used to read faded and worn tombstones.

Place a blank piece of paper (white is typically best) over the image to be transferred. You can use masking tape to hold the paper in place without damaging the object. Hold the pencil at about a 20-degree angle or less, so that the exposed lead (not just the tip) is against the paper. Rub vigorously. Focus on dark lines as the image appears, to help the clarity of the image. The rubbing will be complete when you are satisfied with the darkness and shading of the image.
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

If the lettering is backwards then it is an engraved copper printing plate, not a belt plate.
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

Thats a great relic Civilman My hats off to you :hello2: Nice piece off history :icon_sunny: Would display great in a frame with the history of the find and translation of all the inscriptions . M.R.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom