What's new

Watch out for dinosaurs while prospecting.....

hvacker....one thing I forgot to mention...some of the anthills are as much as 50 years old. I caution everybody I meet that there's no advantage to digging them up. The gems are good as indicators, but are too small to have any real value, and if there are gems in the area, there will be some right at the surface of the anthill.
All the best,
Jim

Thanks Jim. No digging for me, I have severe reactions to bites. Los Lunas is only about 15 miles from me. There is a really good rock hounding area there. Very remote.
 
Found this toad down near the boot heel over Labor Day
_MG_frog.webp
 
ahh yes...great markings & collar on that one. The ones up north are a bit more subdued. Nice find!
Jim
 
Enjoying your post! :icon_thumleft: I have read about looking for diamonds in ant hills down in Wy.

But, I also enjoy coming across those ''Horny Toads'' while out hiking up here in Montana. Here's one that I got a photo of.


Folder #1 197.webp
 
Enjoying your post! :icon_thumleft: I have read about looking for diamonds in ant hills down in Wy.

But, I also enjoy coming across those ''Horny Toads'' while out hiking up here in Montana. Here's one that I got a photo of.


View attachment 871653
Good pic, Digger! Where, in Montana was that one seen? I won't be able to answer...leaving for Wy. in a few minutes.
Jim
 
I sure did enjoy all the beautiful photos in this thread. I would love to run across some of those Arizona Horned Toads to take some pictures of. I really love to do macro photographs of insects and small critters.ants3.webp
Mantis2.webp

I remember back in the early sixties ( the decade, not my age ) dad was stationed at Nellis AFB and we lived in Vegas in a brand new neighborhood. There was nothing but desert between us and Red Rocks. I would often see lizards that were between two and three foot long when I was playing in the desert, but I have never figured out what they were.
 
Good pic, Digger! Where, in Montana was that one seen? I won't be able to answer...leaving for Wy. in a few minutes.
Jim



I find them in south-central Montana, not too far north of the Wyoming border. There is always the temptation of bringing one home and putting it in a terrainium, but they are much better of where they are at. Good Luck in your search for that Kimberlite!
 
I miss horny-toads here in OK. We used to catch them behind my grade school as a kid.
 
I find them in south-central Montana, not too far north of the Wyoming border. There is always the temptation of bringing one home and putting it in a terrainium, but they are much better of where they are at. Good Luck in your search for that Kimberlite!
I took my daughter out to the desert when she was about 13. We caught two and brought them home for a month. She had to catch ants to feed them. As summer waned we took them back out and let them go. They must go into some sort of hibernation over the winter....no way to feed them during the winter, as the ants disappear. They're an interesting little critter, and obviously they can live in some harsh climates.
I got snowed out this morning. Won't be back over there again until next spring. No kimberlite, but did get 62 garnets, and 14 chrom diopside from one 6'x6'x10" deep dig in a drywash. All those gems came from 8 gallons of classified and washed grave, run through my mineral jig.


Jim
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom