Water at gold camp.... is there a way to test in the field

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have permission to camp on patented land adjacent to my claim. About 150’ up the hill from camp, is a stope the mine. The stope, according to the owner, is 800’ deep, and full of water to within 6’ of the surface. This puts that water level about 30’ in elevation above camp.

I’m thinking of setting up a siphon from this stope to bring water to camp for washing and other tasks requiring water. Not for drinking or cooking.

The way my schedule works, I get to the mine for one long weekend a year. I’d love to get there 4-5 times a year. But that’s beside the point.

Next trip, I’m going to bring a sample home for testing. But, is there a test I can do in the field to test for the suitability of the water to be used for my purposes? Sure I’ll bring ph strips, but what else? Would an an aquarium test kit be useful? What kind of test kit should I bring?

Anyone have any idea what I might find in that water? In the stope hole, there’s sure to be organic material. There are striders in it but it is clear.

Up the hill a bit more is a mine portal and about 50’ inside is a shaft filled with water to the same level as the stope outside, and that water looks just plain crystal clear. Ideally I’d pull the water from this “clean” source rather than the stope with probably dead critters and such.

This mine is at the Far East end of the gold belt on the South Yuba and the rock is mainly serpentine.

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
To bad you didn't grab a water sample while you were there since you only have a 1 X a year shot at it! Most mines have some type of chemicals in them ,as you seem to understand ! Good Luck and be safe !

OP
OP
M

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To bad you didn't grab a water sample while you were there since you only have a 1 X a year shot at it! Most mines have some type of chemicals in them ,as you seem to understand ! Good Luck and be safe !

My whole idea about using water from the mine only dawned on me shortly after my last trip there. And I was wishing I had thought of it at the mine and grabbed a bottle. Here’s the water in the shaft inside the mine

8E8CD5AD-C604-4E27-B9BC-785E7D4DB0E1.jpg

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cap full of bleach per gallon will kill any bacteria. As far as heavy elements, not so much. Definitely need a lab to test that part.

OP
OP
M

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm mainly worried about chemicals that would mean I should not be washing my skin with it. The striders seem to be surviving fine....

Either way I'll probably set set something up to siphon water to run a highbanker, theres millions of gallons. I dont know what the replenishment rate is

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Siphoning mine water to run a highbanker oh man I wonder what the greenies or the EPA would make of that.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Siphoning mine water to run a highbanker oh man I wonder what the greenies or the EPA would make of that.

Just tell the Greenies that it has a lot of silver in it, which is a natural disinfectant. They will research it, and finding out that it is true, be totally bewildered if it is too good to be true or not! (LOL)

In cases like this, just remember; "It is just a guess unless you test".

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Theres critters living in it. It's probably safe to use for washing up or anything like that.

Our old well was a hole like that and it was good for drinking. I'd pull a dead chipmunk or mouse out once in awhile and I'm sure there were many more at the bottom but it tasted good. We filled all our water jugs out of there for this last decade.

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd do a PH test. Some mine water is very acidic and will dry your skin out in a hurry. Some of the water at work will eat a black pipe fitting in less than a month.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread