What's new

Water Key??

against the wind

Platinum Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2015
Messages
24,896
Reaction score
24,983
Golden Thread
0
Location
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is 2 inches long, made of brass, and would fit a 1/4 inch shank. I'm hoping for a time frame. I know it isn't an old skate key because it is made of brass which would be too soft to go on a steel shank.
 

Attachments

  • 20190514_134525.webp
    20190514_134525.webp
    97.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 20190514_134451.webp
    20190514_134451.webp
    234 KB · Views: 101
I would guess radiator valve key. But I guess it could be for gas or other similar use as well.

321094423650.webp
 
Upvote 0
Matt is right. Being fancy I would lean toward gas key for lights.
 
Upvote 0
What Matt said! But a key to vent the air out a hot water radiator. Or a key to adjust the hydration from a steam radiator. I guess you had to be there!
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a key for winding clocks to me
 
Upvote 0
I vote gas key but I was thinking the kind you stick in front of your fancy fireplace to turn on the gas. All the ones I’ve seen go on a square deal just like that one would
 
Upvote 0
I vote gas key but I was thinking the kind you stick in front of your fancy fireplace to turn on the gas. All the ones I’ve seen go on a square deal just like that one would

Most gas valves that I have installed or recovered, have a built in key or handle that can be opened or closed by hand. It is a safety feature. When it comes to controlling gas, you don't want to have to start looking for a key or handle when a rapid shutoff of gas becomes necessary.
 
Upvote 0
gas keys are made of brass/ safety feature. brass wont create a spark
brady
 
Upvote 0
May be talking the same thing and I’m not understanding but at our house when I was little there was a square peg in the floor in front of the fireplace when you wanted a fire you got the key, usually on top of the mantle away from us kids, stuck it in the floor and got gas when you were done turn it off and put the key back out of reach. Maybe somewhere down the line there was a fixed shutoff but def not one at the fireplace, my grandparents house was the same way
 
Upvote 0
I agree with Bradyboy. Congrats on the interesting find.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom