What's new

Well designed Pottery sherds

rok-kolektor

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2016
Messages
52
Reaction score
29
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mid GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20161124_011510[1].webp20161124_011529[1].webp20161124_011550[1].webp
IMG_7567.webp

all this and more came from same small spot...any info?
 
Upvote 0
Thats some thick pottery. Bowls must of been very big. They make a great display in a shadow box. I only keep the best well made designs.
 
Looks like " Swift Creek " Woodland Period . If it were me,,, I would report that to the State Archaeology office .

Woodland Pottery: Swift Creek

From what he has said it is private property. If he were to report it to the state and they sent a archy out and they thought maybe there was a grave the property would be shut down and fenced off. It could be a very nice score for the state but a big loss for the property owners.
 
I don't see anything that makes me believe it is a grave site. The State has seen more pottery shards than they ever need ,too, but there may be something significant, there, & I would think it needs to be checked . If it did turn out to be a grave site, just that one small area can be fenced & at no real loss to the owners.
 
Last edited:
Why would you want the state on your land anyways.... I'd just keep it a secret! That's just my opinion though
 
That is Swift Creek Complicated stamped and from the look of the pottery, it may have been made during the Weeden Island time period. If I may ask, what county and what state? I have a collection of Woodland artifacts and they are similar to what you are finding.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom