asmerri
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Mar 19, 2013
- Messages
- 322
- Reaction score
- 273
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- North Texas
- Detector(s) used
- CTX 3030, E-Trac
- #1
Thread Owner
So I received a ton of feedback from my fellow t-Netters regarding how to restore my recently find 2 cent piece. After running a couple tests on some copper pennies with similar thick green patina on them I was certain that the lemon juice/extra fine steel wool method would work wonderfully on my coin. Boy was I wrong! I am now left with a shiny barely unrecognizable coin
. I figured I was doing the right thing even against the advice of many seasoned detectorists on this forum due to the result of my test coins (pictures below). I am very upset with what I have done but I guess it was a hard lesson learned.
It's probably a lost cause at this point but any tips on how to darken the coin in order to restore some of what I have ignorantly taken off? I am a very new "serious" hunter and need to accept the fact that crusty is many times better than destroyed.
I sincerely thank you all for your tips and I am truly regretting not following your methods!
The final product
. I figured I was doing the right thing even against the advice of many seasoned detectorists on this forum due to the result of my test coins (pictures below). I am very upset with what I have done but I guess it was a hard lesson learned. It's probably a lost cause at this point but any tips on how to darken the coin in order to restore some of what I have ignorantly taken off? I am a very new "serious" hunter and need to accept the fact that crusty is many times better than destroyed.
I sincerely thank you all for your tips and I am truly regretting not following your methods!
The final product




on another point.. I salute you for posting this error you made.. Not only as it will help others but the fact that you admitted doing it as I have done the same thing and would have been way too embarrassed to post... So here's hoping for many more great finds for you and and high five for admitting your mistake... I bet nearly every person has made a similar error starting out
)






