want2skydive

Jan 12, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm new to the hobby.

I am in San Antonio. I'm new to the addiction. As you might be able to tell I'm a sport skydiver. I'm thinking about getting the Ace 250, but I'm not really sure. I don't want to miss something good because I didn't get a machine that goes deep enough. Oh well.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Well I'm new to the hobby.

I have a Master Hunter CX +, a Cobra Beach Magnet and an ACE 250. While the ACE is not the machine the Master Hunter is, it IS a Garrett. The ACE 250 is very light and easy to maneuver. It has target ID and multiple notch discrimination. For the price, you can't beat it. The key is to get a machine YOU want, stay with it and practice (hunt) until you really get to know how it works for you. I think you will like the ACE, and when you decide to get a different (not necessarily better) machine, you will know what type of machine you are looking for - gold, coin, cache, etc.

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV

Welcome aboard to the addiction. There are many machines that are good as long as you take the time to get to know how it works. Good luck and HH :thumbsup:

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For the price you can't go wrong with the ace, It has features that you spend hundereds on with other machines. The coils are reasonable and I would suggest the snipper if hunting parks, and the larger coil if hunting old sites. Like any machine it has its limits and it can be dang annoying in trashy areas. It is a great machine for a beginner or even those of us that want something light to just scan through parks and such. In texas soil you don't or you can't dig 2ft its exhausted . In the hill country you got rocks everywhere in the soil, in south texas you got concrete soil, and how many places you plan to hunt will allow a mega shovel? Unless you are only relic hunting and if that is the case then I would choose something besides the ace, like maybe a sovereign, or a tesorro machine.

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX

I am in a similiar situation and wanting to get into the hobby. As a kid, I purchased a whites model (I can't remember which one as I ordered it through a sears catalogue) and swung it for a while before the normal activities of a teenager took over (sports, girls, etc). Back then, I found a few silver dimes, a silver Boy Scouts ring, a couple wheaties, and a handful of clad. Now that I am on the downhill side of my 30's, I really want to get back into the hobby. I have read lots and lots of reviews and am thinking I might go with a Whites MXT. I know it is not a beginner one but I have done a little MT in the past and really want to have a good machine I can grow with that is a good intermediate model. I am considering joining a club that is near my house (Montgomery County) where I can just meet people that share the same interest and provide me some pointers. I work for a local commercial real estate company that has several very old properties where I can get access. Plus I know alot of people in the Heights that I am certain I can convince to let me hunt. Several friends are contractors who routinely work at older properties around Houston so I can also work those sites. I am just wondering what you guys thought of starting with a machine like a Whites MXT. Is there a good place to shop for these things? Any pointers? Thanks in advance.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon

The ACE 250 is a great little machine. Click on my profile and you can see what I found with it just in a few months. I never really hunted much prior to buying my own for the land hunting.

What ever machine you decide to buy just take the time to learn your machine. It will pay off in the end to learn it. Also spend the 70 bucks and get the Sniper coil!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 158

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX

Thanks Shaw for the advice. All I know is that I am very anxious to get started again. I guess these boards will stir up that interest.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon

TexasDeere said:
Thanks Shaw for the advice. All I know is that I am very anxious to get started again. I guess these boards will stir up that interest.

I am hoping to get some time in again real soon. I am ready for the water to heat back up!

Happy Hunting and do your research!

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions