What's new

Well, it aint pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, its a SILVER HALF!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

...but it is (was) a trade axe. I scouted a new area today in my new town which should produce nicely. I only had an hour between coats of paint but the first target dug was the broken trade axe. This would have been quite a small one. Makes me thankful for the complete trade axe I dug last month with Patriot. Coppers are crusty but I think they are Victorian. More to come as soon as I get a complete day to hunt. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • 16 June 2010 010.webp
    16 June 2010 010.webp
    55 KB · Views: 874
  • 16 June 2010 009.webp
    16 June 2010 009.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 871
  • 16 June 2010 006.webp
    16 June 2010 006.webp
    42.1 KB · Views: 885
Upvote 0
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

No kidding. Too bad it wasn't in better condition :'( Good find though :thumbsup:
 
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

LOL...the coin that I thought was a Victorian copper is actually a silver Vickie Half Dollar! I've only once seen silver come out of the ground looking like this. I'll be cleaning it and will re-post updated pics soon...

When I was digging I thought it had to be silver, such a high tone, and was disappointed to see that it was copper. Into the pouch it went without another thought. This field has a very high iron content which coats everything making signals difficult to decipher. Even the musketballs come out looking like iron instead of lead...
 

Attachments

  • 16 June 2010 001.webp
    16 June 2010 001.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 858
  • 16 June 2010 003.webp
    16 June 2010 003.webp
    49.9 KB · Views: 851
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

Definitely better than watching the paint dry!! ;D
 
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

Man.... I'm not sure if you're going to want to see the date or not.
 
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

Iron Patch said:
Man.... I'm not sure if you're going to want to see the date or not.

Tell me about it! Oh well, I can't keep it as is. This is my 1st silver half!
 
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
Man.... I'm not sure if you're going to want to see the date or not.

Tell me about it! Oh well, I can't keep it as is. This is my 1st silver half!


Maybe not a rare coin, but definitely a rare find. I can't think of another found in our parts.
 
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

Iron Patch said:
Man.... I'm not sure if you're going to want to see the date or not.

I'm with you on that Patch....

other than that Romeo, your off to a good start in your new area...keep the finds coming!
 
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

The Patriot said:
Iron Patch said:
Man.... I'm not sure if you're going to want to see the date or not.

I'm with you on that Patch....

other than that Romeo, your off to a good start in your new area...keep the finds coming!

Thanks Patriot...I haven't even scraped the surface yet...the area I was hunting today has produced a couple cannonballs, a couple nice trade axes and French silver...of course not found by me >:(.
 
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

nice stuff odd silver like to see after cleaning
 
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
Man.... I'm not sure if you're going to want to see the date or not.

Tell me about it! Oh well, I can't keep it as is. This is my 1st silver half!


Maybe not a rare coin, but definitely a rare find. I can't think of another found in our parts.

yeah haven't seen one before but then again we hunt older sites...would be curious tho on how many we don't know about..
 
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
It's rough but i'd take it.
Chris

It should look much more like silver by tomorrow...the iron oxide is really stuck on! ???
 
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

Nice finds
 
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

neat find :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF
 
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

Nice finds,

Congrats on the half. That is a nice old one to find. Rare for the states. First one I have seen. You may be able to clean it up. I would chance it if value was low and just tumble it out.

HH Jer
 
Re: Well, it ain't pretty...UPDATE...Not Copper, it's a SILVER HALF!!!

JerV3 said:
Nice finds,

Congrats on the half. That is a nice old one to find. Rare for the states. First one I have seen. You may be able to clean it up. I would chance it if value was low and just tumble it out.

HH Jer

I'm not too concerned with value...in this condition the only value is in the finding. For me, it's a nice one to knock off the list as it is my first Victorian silver above the 10 cent denomination and my first 50 cent of any period.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom