I have a unique way of dealing with non venomous snakes who are not threatening me. I YELL at them. And give a hard stare too. They do not fail to run!
Here's a true story: Once upon a time ago, almost in another life, my two daughters still lived at home. They are now married and unavailable for visits from the parental unit.
Anyway, when they were rather small, we had a big toad living next to the front steps of the house. We saw "her" all the time and named her Jennie Toad. I don't know why. Well, one day we're coming back from who knows where at this point, and a HUGE garter snake (like pictured in the first post) had Jennie Toad by the leg. Bad news for the toad. Well, the snake isn't poisonous, so we just go around the toad-snake struggle and go in the house
My one daughter (I think the older one, she is now a computer scientist, for real), asks if they can catch the snake. So I think to myself, we have insurance if they get bit, they already had their tetanus shot so I said Sure! So I took the mop with the hole in the end of the handle, and put a loop of old time speaker wire in it through a loop and told the youngn' to slip the loop around the snake's neck, and pull the loop tight and they'd have the snake. BTW, easier said than done.
So they go out (the cat had to go too), and they start poking the biggest fattest garter snake I have EVER seen with the mop end. It was probably a pregnant female as big as it was. Well, the snake has the toad, and doesn't want to let go. I'm standing a few feet away on the TOP of the steps. Finally, the snake has had it with the poking thing, lets go of the toad, and turns on the kids, chasing them (and the cat) up the steps right toward and past me. The snake actually came up three steps chasing the kids and the cat. Then it sees me and must have guessed I am not going to run.
All of a sudden, the tide turns. The snake tears off back down the steps, and the two kids and the cat now turn and chase it.
The snake got away and is probably still telling the story about how her dinner got away that day and she encountered a huge and incredibly ugly creature.
The children grew up, moved away and are constantly "busy".
Jennie Toad died.
100% true story.