Digiron2, you're cool. I killed a garter snake on purpose once over 20 years ago. I still regret doing it but the sucker would jump out in front of me every time I'd go in the garden. It was just too much. Didn't need the heart attack and we have copperheads here.
Was in my mother in laws garden a bunch of years ago, and it was just getting dark. I smelled cucumbers. Wait - She didn't plant cucumbers. I backed out real slow. That was a copperhead.
There is also a quarry not far from here. I was mineral colleting there once upon a lifetime ago, and in the bottom of this quarry, I smelled cucumbers. SNAKES! Poisonous ones. Run Away!
And then there was the copperhead in the street that one night. Just like the post of the copperhead here. I won't admit to running it over, backing back over it, and then running it over again. It's called a mercy killing. Don't think I'd ever do that again though. That was 35 years ago.
Couple zillion years ago a milk snake, harmless, got trapped at my basement door. Back then there were concrete steps going down to the basement. Didn't want to hurt it, so scooped it up in a large Tupperware tub. Wanted to make SURE it was harmless so took it to the guys at the local state park. So the ranger just reaches and grabs the little snake (all 12" worth) and proceeds to hold this wild animal (who was probably having a cow), like WILD

and he and the snake show me a picture of the snake in a book.
About 3 years ago a BIG milk snake is in the middle of my street. So I pull up along side it, roll the window down, and tell the snake (like it can understand me) how pretty it is and it better get out of the road before someone runs over it. He apparently did move right after that. I have almost turned the car over a few times (exaggerating here some) to MISS snakes in the road. I've changed a lot.
Back to the mother in law's house 35 years ago, I'm walking to the house and didn't see the little copperhead next to the walkway. Little creep (word chosen carefully), struck me! Got the back of the tennis shoe and not me. How do you spell dead snake? shovel
And finally, I was hunting about 40 years ago (Yes the cat is old), anyway, I'm walking through a low area and I stepped right around a snake. Didn't know it at the time, but it was right between my legs. I must have known something was wrong. So I stop. And this here snake scrambles from where I'm standing over it and heads away. Well, let's just say at that point it was unnecessary to defend myself. But I leveled the 12 gauge and fired it three times. Then, not seeing the snake anymore, backed up about 10 feet (pellets were zinging by my head after hitting rocks), and emptied three more rounds into the piece of territory where the snake had been. I don't think there was enough for the bugs to get a taste. Notice - don't scare the cat while the cat is hunting!