pedroliveira

Feb 16, 2010
Louisville,Ky
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I went biking around and looking for a spot to hunt. Stopped at broadway and Logan here in Louisville. There's an empty lot where a house used to be. Found trash. News trash and a 1975 quarter that was so toasted that I'm embarrassed to put up here. What's wrong with my luck? Is it the f2? Is it the discrimination that I use? I disc all out but quarter and dime.

Upvote 0
Well it happens to all of us. I wouldn't disc that high but that's me. You can miss some iffy signals that are deep or next to trash with that much discrimination.

Dig until your arm falls off

If you set your discrimination that high, you are also discriminating out gold.

Rather then discing out everything try discing out just most the iron and look for those sold, repeatable signals that to not appear too large, lift your coil up and see if you still hear it at 1 ft and if you do walk away. A good coin should sound crisp with no sratchy noise with it and don't worry about digging the crap, it is how you learn.
ZDD

I am definitely no expert, but what I have found through my experience is this: it's all about location. I have messed around with the discrimination too, especially in trashy areas. All I found is junk for the last month until I started going to some new places. This hobby takes a lot more research than I thought it would. I use a Tesoro (no screen), so that makes my discrimination (and knowing how to use it properly) essential. Trash happens, we all dig it. You gotta think about it like this though; if we dig enough junk, eventually something good is going to come out of the hole (hopefully before our arms fall off). It is what it is. My advice is to hit some new types of locations. I've been doing pretty good at the parks near pic-nick tables. I like hunting parks because I can usually find information online about how old they are, and what they have been used for. Well, that's my input. Happy hunting-Keep the faith brother!___James

I agree with the guy above me though. I usually set my disc right in between iron and the five cent mark. I had to learn to differentiate the tones of the beeps. Like for instance, when my machine passes over silver it makes a short and loud beeping sound, but when it passes over a can it makes a choppy weaker sounding beep. Maybe try hitting some test targets in your backyard or something, so that you become well acquainted with each different noise and signal. Lifting the coil up has helped me a lot too. When I lift it over some junk it gets choppy. If it's something good like a coin or jewelry items, when I lift the coil the sound never gets choppy or broken, just shorter.

Last edited:
My luck is about the same as yours. I've been hitting it hard the last 3 weeks, or so, and the only good thing I've found is a 1905 Dime. Went out yesterday and came back with 3 pennies! Went to a very old site today, and found 2 clad quarters and 1 clad penny....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back