What's new

Went to the grocery store for some food today ..... REALLY!

It is the beginning of the month so the access cards were reloaded. So that might be why three shelves are empty. Lol

That's only on the 1st and 15th. None of those cards would have money left after a couple days.
 
Ice storms are the worst. I would take a few feet of snow rather than ice any day. Sounds like you are all as ready as you can be. I'll keep my fingers crossed it isn't as bad as projected and that your power stays on.
I agree Susan. The worst storm I can remember was 5 years ago when I still lived in NH. Heavy freezing rain for an entire day brought down trees & power lines across New England. We were without power for 14 days. When you live there though you learn to be constantly prepared for anything. We had plenty of bottled water for drinking & cooking and broke through the ice in the little brook down the street for water to flush the toilet. Had 2 woodstoves going with one being an antique kitchen cook stove that we used to make food. Cold enough outside to simply store our frozen food and things that needed to be kept cold on the porch in coolers. It was like a long camping trip and we survived it. I did want to shoot the neighbor who worked for a Cat dealer & had a huge generator running the whole time that he grabbed from work. His place was lit up like a Christmas tree the entire time.. I let him live though since he let us go over to his place & take showers. lol
 
That's only on the 1st and 15th. None of those cards would have money left after a couple days.

Lol yea ur right I ddnt think about that ahahahah
 
At least there appear to be plenty of processed sandwich meats still available! :tongue3: lol.

I got a sister in Monroe, Ga., she was crying about not having any wood if the power goes out. That was 2 days ago. Don't know what it's like there now. Ice storms do suck.
 
One year after a hurricane we lost power. We got ours back within 24 hrs,while the rest of the hood was out for little over 2 weeks. I was teaching my neighbor morris code by flicking my porch light. Lol. Well are house looked like a power station with electric cords feeding the neighbors nearby with frig and fan power. In a weird way times of need brings everyone together.
 
A few years back in upstate NY, power was out for over a week……….with a generator, fuel, an awesome wood stove, life went on as usual…
Yet in the north, you expect that crap…….down south, maybe once in a while, for a short time……..
Not that I had any regrets, but watching this winter from the comfort of being "down south", south amercia that is, leaves not a question that living here was the right decision……..yet every area has it's natural disaster problems……the most recent here was one of the several active volcanos erupting….Tungurahura…….
 
Just picked up 2 cows I had butchered on Monday. Enough beef for a year for my extended family. 1 acre pond will provide fish, ice fishing is for the grandkids to do. Farm has enough fire wood for years, generator ready and fueled. FORECAST another 16" of snow Thurs. BRING IT.
 
Morning paper: Check
Coffee: Check
Boca Ciega Bay view: Check
Flip-flops: Check
75 degrees: Check

Bring on the ice storm...

Morning.webp
 
Morning paper: Check
Coffee: Check
Boca Ciega Bay view: Check
Flip-flops: Check
75 degrees: Check

Bring on the ice storm...

View attachment 944474

They say a person is where they are cause they want to be there but I don,t recall wanting to be lost in the snow.
Great view. I could perform preventative maintenance on the crane, trolley and hoist,(hoist may be a CM brand?) having done it for a living before. Talk the owner into jib being cleaned and repainted I could make a week out of it! Besides being warm, a guy shouldn,t go hungry around there or any port with fish and equipment to be worked.
 
Last edited:
You ought to see 'em try to drive in snow down here!
 
They up'ed our snow forecast to 12 inches. I already had a five gallon can of fresh gas for the generator and snow blower, but thought I'd better get the other can filled. Drove into town and found the gas stations lined up like it was when the Arabs cut off our oil. Good grief. Some nice lady let me jump the line and fill my can. I gave her five bucks and a hug.
After all this preparation, It had better snow. Last time we were without power for 5 days but the roads were cleared with in hours. Ate in many restaurants with power.
 
At least there appear to be plenty of processed sandwich meats still available! :tongue3: lol.

I got a sister in Monroe, Ga., she was crying about not having any wood if the power goes out. That was 2 days ago. Don't know what it's like there now. Ice storms do suck.
Good thing I stacked those cases of Spam & Twinkies in the basement just prior to Y2K... East Tennessee is expecting 3-7 inches tonight...
 
Life is boring until you hit Black Ice at 50 and do enough donuts to recite 2 hail Mary's. Enjoy the winter it's a gift.
 
People such as the Amish & others are well prepared for these
types of storms. I believe everyone should have extra food/water
in their dwelling. (and a way to prepare it)
Rotate your stored goods also.
 
Life is boring until you hit Black Ice at 50 and do enough donuts to recite 2 hail Mary's. Enjoy the winter it's a gift.
Been there done that, except I wasn't reciting Hail Mary's! ;D
 
Swapped ends repeatedly between guardrails till vehicle stalled out years ago. Another time rolled, then cartwheeled a truck into the trees. To busy sawing on the wheel like a raccoon for hail Marys. Starting to slow down a little now a days.Only stuck the plow once this winter going to far to fast,so far.
 
Last edited:
Here in Summit County Colorado we set a record for January snowfall. One time we got 2 feet in 24 hours which was kinda amazin to stand out in. Last week we got another 2 feet in 4 days. A little over 10 feet this season. Right now they have us on CNN showing the avalanche control over at the Eisenhower Tunnel. We've set our records so it is time for us to graciously retire from the field and allow some other state to step up to the plate and go for the gold. Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, the snowfall record can be yours. Go for it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom