What's new

Western NC mountains artifact?

Jlynn

Greenie
Joined
May 24, 2014
Messages
14
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Coast (mid-Atlantic region)
Primary Interest:
Other
My son found this several years ago on property that my family owns on a river. I've taken it to a couple people to look at but they were unable to identify only to say "it's really old!"
It's hollowed on either end but doesn't go all the way through. The coloring looks as though it was stained or painted an orange color. I have other photos if needed.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2017.webp
    IMG_2017.webp
    154.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2010.webp
    IMG_2010.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2012.webp
    IMG_2012.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum! I don't know what it is but it's very interesting. Hopefully someone will come along that knows. When you say found in western NC mountains I have to wonder if you could be a little more specific with a town or county and that might help to identify it.
 
It looks to be clay or pottery, maybe a bottle stopper.:icon_scratch:
 
Dont know what it is,but it is really nice looking.
 
Jlynn,
I have no idea what it is, but it looks really cool.
 
Only thing that comes to mind is a pipe preform if the holes dont connect. Are you sure it isnt clogged with dirt?
 
Only thing that comes to mind is a pipe preform if the holes dont connect. Are you sure it isnt clogged with dirt?
We've poked at and it is pretty solid. Sorry I'm a newbie, what is a pipe preform?
It looks so ornamental...I've scoured the internet and haven't found anything that looks anything like it.
 
Could it be a type of spindle whirl?
 
what is it made of? Pottery, stone, cement? Is it heavy for it's size?
 
Interesting and cool, no idea what it is.
 
Are you familiar with the story of Charles Church finding a native american rock shelter in Valle Crucis on the banks of the Watauga River in the 1960's? It was filled with artifacts and the remains of hundreds of animals. What you have could be some sort of ceremonial piece, associated with a hunting shrine or other such ceremonial purpose .
 
Last edited:
You should check to see if there are any artifact shows coming near your home. If so and you can go take your piece to the show and ask for the person in charge then they can direct you to somebody who might be able it give you some info on it. A in hand inspection is sometimes better than a comp screen and the local collectors might have a better idea as to what it is.
 
They did carve things in soapstone, is it slippery like soap when wet? I agree with rock, you need to ask an expert and please check back in when you do, it's a cool and interesting piece.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom