What's new

what about proofs?

rocko

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
20
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
Houston
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett at
I never post but after years of reading I thought I would share this. I have been coin rolling for about 2 years I have gone through at least 50 boxes (halves). Man what an awesome feeling when you come across silver! But the thing I've noticed is that I have not read about anyone finding proofs or at least haven't seen any. I have found at least 40 almost every box has had at least 1 of them they are beautiful, the Kennedy Head is usually frosted and the background looks like a mirror, the coin is usually a little thicker than a regular half and the mint mark is usually an "S". I have found a 1970 proof, a couple of Bicentennials, all different kinds they are valued between $15 to $40 depending on the quality and usually they are not that bad. Hopefully I can post some photos of some that I've found to show you how pretty they are. Any way I thought I would share that if some of you have found some maybe you have some input on what everyone should look for or maybe someone has found a good one they would like to share about.Good luck to all of you!

Rocko
 
Upvote 0
People here find a lot of impaired proofs. Most dont keep them. They are not really worth that much unless they are the 90% variety. I myself keep the best ones that I find.
 
yes we do find them. i have several myself. i hold all those that aren't too badly damaged and all that are silver.
 
I found a 1971 in my last box...

and it was shiny as a mirror. I set it aside to keep, but by the time I was finished with the box I had approx 20-25 just like it with varying dates so I just threw them all back in the return bag.


I also found one half engraved with the name Curtis Kelly (if I remember right). It was a nice job of engraving so I kept it for the heck of it. Curtis...you out there? Anyone know him?
 
So all Proofs with an "S" are not silver is that right I didn't know that. Other than the sound it makes is there a way to tell the difference?
 
rocko said:
So all Proofs with an "S" are not silver is that right I didn't know that. Other than the sound it makes is there a way to tell the difference?

1992 S and up are either clad or 90%. You can tell the difference. The bicentenial is clad or 40%.

I found 9 today in 4 boxes. Some real nice ones too.
 
rocko said:
So all Proofs with an "S" are not silver is that right I didn't know that. Other than the sound it makes is there a way to tell the difference?


The rim on a 90% silver proof will most likely look as very bright silver in color. You cannot miss them.

Jim
 
I found over 200 of them by now.

It is very easy to tell the coppernickle clad proofs from the silver proofs. And from my expierence the ratio of coppernickle to silver is 1 out of 100.

I will post some photo's Found these in November.

Ironically I found about 10 today

Mojo
 

Attachments

  • PROOFS.webp
    PROOFS.webp
    94.8 KB · Views: 375
  • COL EXPO 2003 PROOF.webp
    COL EXPO 2003 PROOF.webp
    70.4 KB · Views: 353
  • PROOFS.webp
    PROOFS.webp
    94.8 KB · Views: 353
  • COL EXPO 2003 PROOF.webp
    COL EXPO 2003 PROOF.webp
    70.4 KB · Views: 364
Yea that's what I'm talking about they the coolest looking coins, I really enjoy finding those! So older than 92 they are probably silver is that right?
 
rocko said:
Yea that's what I'm talking about they the coolest looking coins, I really enjoy finding those! So older than 92 they are probably silver is that right?
nyiangelo said:
rocko said:
So all Proofs with an "S" are not silver is that right I didn't know that. Other than the sound it makes is there a way to tell the difference?

1992 S and up are either clad or 90%. You can tell the difference. The bicentenial is clad or 40%.

I found 9 today in 4 boxes. Some real nice ones too.
 
Thanks I'm going to go back through them I'll post what I find
 
the clad proofs are fun to find and i keep them. but once they are cracked out of the mint packaging they become numismatically worthless. collectors i have taled to and deal with don't want a proof coin that would grade under PF68 because the proof coin is supposed to be near perfect, although most proofs i have sent for grading have graded out at PF69. i have very few PF70 coins.
the silver proofs are harder to come by and i enjoy finding them too, even if they are in bad shape they will always have silver content value
 
I just found a Kennedy 1970-s Silver Proof in my last box in excellent condition. For a proof to be worth full value it has to be super clean though. Once it is out of it's packaging it almost has to be flawed. Still it is 90% silver !!!
 
Hi Ho Silver! said:
I just found a Kennedy 1970-s Silver Proof in my last box in excellent condition. For a proof to be worth full value it has to be super clean though. Once it is out of it's packaging it almost has to be flawed. Still it is 90% silver !!!
Sorry, it's only 40%.
 
enamel7 said:
Hi Ho Silver! said:
I just found a Kennedy 1970-s Silver Proof in my last box in excellent condition. For a proof to be worth full value it has to be super clean though. Once it is out of it's packaging it almost has to be flawed. Still it is 90% silver !!!
Sorry, it's only 40%.

D'OH!
 
Yep, you are right about the kennedy 1970-s proof being 40%. The later ones in silver proof sets are 90%. :notworthy: :notworthy:
 
Hi Ho Silver! said:
Yep, you are right about the kennedy 1970-s proof being 40%. The later ones in silver proof sets are 90%. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Sorry, again. The bicentennial proof sets had 40% proof and business strikes. Silver proof sets beginning in 1992 - present are 90%
 
Yep, that is correct. Dimes, Quarters, and Half Dollars are 90% in Silver Proof sets 1992 to present.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom