What about the chicago fire debris,,,,????

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
I have heard stories that they loaded all the debris from the great fire and shiped it all by rail downstate somewhere.

Has anyone ever heard that story? It may be just rumor but I heard they spread it out in some farm fields in southern il.

I have heard it from a few people just was wondering,,, what a find that would be!!!!,,, thanks

arthur

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard that they dumped it in the river and the lake. but i guess i could have heard wrong. I guess i wont find out until i start diving in the lake and river. :icon_scratch:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Most of the fire debris was moved eastward to create the current lakeshore environment. It's a few yards deep under Grant Park, some under Lincoln Park, etc.. When they were rehabbing that big church and the sidewalks around it downtown some years back I hit the area thinking I'd get some old dirt. Only matrix there was fire debris, noisy, inconclusive signals and gobs of globs.

trash n cash

Oct 14, 2007
Algonquin IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac / Garrett pro pointer
Allot was dumped along the shoreline and built up to what is the land that Metra runs on its tracks that parallel lake shore drive. I have personally dug up all kinds of little goodies from there being a metra employee.
Also barged out into lake Michigan, and dumped into an area underwater a mile east of the 4 mile water intake cribs off of navy pier. It's called the" caissons ".
There was a time us divers could go there it's only about 50 ft. down. I might be wrong on this but, after 2001 911 it's protected area because of the intake cribs. That area is the king of easy pickings for relics from the Chicago fire of 1871. I mean where else can you fly like superman over something and just pick stuff up?. Just have to learn to scuba. :tongue3:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Trash, ever swim the cribs? Heard some folks have found old beer bottles there, left by builders perhaps, and other goodies.

trash n cash

Oct 14, 2007
Algonquin IL
Detector(s) used
No, never dove that area around the crib base. I know from people who did
all kinds of machine parts, sprockets tools were dropped /dumped around there.

trash n cash

Oct 14, 2007
Algonquin IL
Detector(s) used
yes sir, that be them. they barged the junk from the fire out into the lake. east of the 4 mile crib. it's on the bottom in crystal clear water
with those little zebra muscles all over the top eating all of the algae off.

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Thanks for the replys on this guys ,, just was wondering :icon_scratch:, have heard that rumor for a few years now, when you really think about it,,it would not be feasable to take it down state,, but you never know,,,, thanks again,,,,

arthur

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread