What acid do I use to clean my gold nugget with ???

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 930

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GET A SMALL PLASTIC CONTAINER put 1/3 salt -fill the rest with vinegar , shake the bejesus out of it , set it down somewhere you walk past frequently, every time you walk by pick it up and shake it, after about a week or two it will be beautiful.

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
:) as stated previously above will clean the gold, I clean my gold with a product called Bar Keepers Friend Make a paste out of it by adding water and with a rag rub it for a while then rinse and dry. Repeat if needed. The product can be purchased in any grocery store, well, almost any store! :sunny:

Looking at the picture of your gold, it looks like it has some silver attached to it.

If you were to soak the gold in some Nitric acid it would desolve the silver into the acid solution, I personally wouldn't use acid on it, Just clean and polish it, leave it natural.

rich68

Greenie
Mar 8, 2007
Walnut Creek, CA
Are you looking to clean the gold to make it shine, or are you looking to dissolve away everything but the gold so that all you have left is the gold nugget?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would not clean them as it CAN (it does not have to) destroy collector value, just as with coins. :wink:
Soap and water would probably be ok to remove any dirt but use no acid if you don't wanna ruin collector value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread