What are they, exactly?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should help pass those slow winter months. Should be fun too. Got a find or two that has left you stumped as to exactly what it is/was/or once looked like? Please share. Found this one the other day and all I can tell you is that it was very deep from the bottom of deep hole. It has a silver earring post, but that's all I know about it? About the diameter of a nickel.
yel2.jpg yel.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a never ending Gobstopper!!! I'd say it was an older earring, Looks like the sort of things that all the cheap costume jewelry is patterned off of. Neat looking.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are exactly "cabochon" cut stones. I know the camera is not doing justice to the color, and a very gentle cleaning will help to find out what stones they are. Very interesting indeed.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are exactly "cabochon" cut stones. I know the camera is not doing justice to the color, and a very gentle cleaning will help to find out what stones they are. Very interesting indeed.

Well thanks! Now then, you're speaking to a man. So, what are they exactly? And what do you mean by, "gentle cleaning", exactly? I take the wire wheel on my grinder and shop vac isn't exactly, "gentle". :laughing7: Just kidding, but can you please enlighten me a bit further me on the stones? And how should one go about "gently" cleaning this thing? :dontknow:

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Well thanks! Now then, you're speaking to a man. So, what are they exactly? And what do you mean by, "gentle cleaning", exactly? I take the wire wheel on my grinder and shop vac isn't exactly, "gentle". :laughing7: Just kidding, but can you please enlighten me a bit further me on the stones? And how should one go about "gently" cleaning this thing? :dontknow:

All you need to do is go over it lightly with a jack hammer! Seriously though.... it looks like basic bling junk but there may be some silver in their somewhere.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warm water with mild dish soap. Hold on the piece and swirl it around a little, rinse it under warm water. Do a few times. Use a very soft toothbrush to gently brush around the stones to get the dirt/sand out while holding in dish water. Then rinse and start to inspect to see what you have. There are many minerals that are are cabochon cut and set in gold, silver and platinum! Just don't think of it as junk bling or costume until you know for sure bigscoop. You never know. Take picture when you are done so we can see the stones then.

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigsoop,

Neat find.....kind of has an art deco look to my untrained eye.....and if so some of that stuff is worth pretty serious coin depending on the designer.

Regards + HH

Bill

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the cheap jewelry cleaner from wallyworld. Drop it in, let it soak, brush a little.
The stones look as if they could be old moonstones. Would be nice if they turned out to be star sapphires, though.
When held in the sun, do you get the starburst effect from them?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting !

I dug something like that Many years ago, only in very poor condition.
I took for granted home made pin or charm.

Pretty sure Mine is more Quarter or Half size though

Maybe part of a set.

If I remember I'll see if I can find mine
tomorrow.

Last edited:

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Correction, it's a conglomerate of gobstoppers!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still in the cleaning process but not looking good. From what I can tell so far, the stem is silver and rest of it is junk. The only thing holding some of the stones in place was all the buildup, as they are falling out pretty steadily.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still in the cleaning process but not looking good. From what I can tell so far, the stem is silver and rest of it is junk. The only thing holding some of the stones in place was all the buildup, as they are falling out pretty steadily.

Yea Mine reminded me to a bunch of petrified jelly beans glued together :laughing7:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You best get your own jewelry cleaner...... my wife gets a little DISTURBED finding my questionable jewelry in hers. Hey.... but it works great with a tooth brush.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread