What's new

What causes this?

coincrawlin

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2010
Messages
354
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a few halves with this feature (all the same year - 1996) but this one is the worst I have found. Just wondering what causes this (def. not post-mint damage) and would it be worth hanging on to?
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1434.webp
    DSCN1434.webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 419
Upvote 0
Coincrawlin,

This is most likely a "filled die" error caused by the die becoming clogged with grease. As to what it's worth, who knows... I save them and have about 6 or so. I only keep them if they are brand new uncirculated. Normally the other side will be normal, but sometimes both sides get filled or you could have a very weak strike (would affect both sides as well). Some are called die adjustment strikes from when they are adjusting the pressure on the machines -- would also be very weak on both sides -- these are suppossed to be quite valuable. My guess is yours is a filled die though. I have sold two nice examples on Feebay over the years. One went for $30 (SWEET!) the other for about 3 bucks. Either way not bad for fifty cents and they are interesting...
 
that is odd I found one just like it yesterday same year also a p .. I found two rolls of 96p very uncirculated looking. I have found other dated before. never sold one .
 
Numismaniac said:
Coincrawlin,

This is most likely a "filled die" error caused by the die becoming clogged with grease. As to what it's worth, who knows... I save them and have about 6 or so. I only keep them if they are brand new uncirculated. Normally the other side will be normal, but sometimes both sides get filled or you could have a very weak strike (would affect both sides as well). Some are called die adjustment strikes from when they are adjusting the pressure on the machines -- would also be very weak on both sides -- these are suppossed to be quite valuable. My guess is yours is a filled die though. I have sold two nice examples on Feebay over the years. One went for $30 (SWEET!) the other for about 3 bucks. Either way not bad for fifty cents and they are interesting...
Interesting. There is some weakness on the back side as well, but not near as pronounced. Thanks for the info.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom