What's new

What Contributed MOST to your Best Detecting Day Ever?

What was MOST responsible for your best day detecting?


  • Total voters
    34
  • Poll closed .

Terry Soloman

Platinum Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
21,759
Reaction score
35,453
Golden Thread
1
Location
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was it Your Machine?
Your Skill?
Or the Location?

You can only choose ONE.

No cheesy answers like, "It's all three!" :skullflag:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160425_155606.webp
    IMG_20160425_155606.webp
    434.5 KB · Views: 124
Going slow and low.

I was on the same site I'd been on for a few weeks, and the finds were drying up. But then I slowed down, and kept my coil very low to the ground... and out popped my best find.
 
My best day was when I found a Fugio, large cent, 1864 ihp, musket balls, and flat button all in the front yard of an old house. None of these were crazy deep and I have found a lot of other really awesome stuff at this house. So I would say the site contributed the most.
 
it was a pretty spring day high of 74 sunny with a light breeze i was at a 1880's house that had people living in it till the 1940's got there first signal was a high slamming signal popped the plug saw a silver rim staring back at me grab it it was a 1942 d quarter my first silver
 
Location. For sure. It was 1980...
My Mentor took me to a school to try out the brand new detector I'd made him take me to buy the previous day. It was a Whites 6/DB...He swung a Whites 5000. I'd spent $350...which, back then, was more than half a paycheck. Wife was "thrilled" with that. 😠 Anyway...this school was 60's-ish and located on a state highway...so he surmised it'd probably been hit before, but that I'd find some clad and learn my machine a little. By the time we'd gotten 10 feet off the asphalt, our pockets were bulging with coins and other trinkets (cheap rings, earrings, pins, etc.). We began walking up a slight slope toward the highway and BOOM! Silvers! Lots of them! 😁 I ended the hunt that day with 18 silvers and Tom had 22 or 23, I think. 😱 I had one plug with 2 SLQ's and 5 GW's in it!!! In the next month, that school paid for my detector 10x over! We'd eventually found out the school property had been owned by the church next door...which was almost 100 years old. The slope was their old sledding hill...and the school grounds is where they held socials and such.
So, yeah...Location, location, location! 😂
 
Location.

You could be a superman with a super detector, but you won't find em' where they ain't.
 
Researching the location!!!!
 
Location. I've never found anything that a cheaper or more expensive detector wouldn't have found too. Your second choice should be LUCK, not SKILL. Luck has played a big part, skill not so much.
 
I've been hunting 29 years, with all brands of detector's..... Location, Location, Location and then experience to get the last hard one's.....

An experienced hunter can find coin's, even with a cheap machine, but, if they are not there... you can't find them....
 
I believe it to be location! :icon_thumleft:

Bassmann and Mr. Wilburino have great points about machines and skill level. :occasion14:

IMHO: As for luck :dontknow:; being a scientist...I don't believe in it. All of my "luck" came from hard work.
 
Positivity ! I never had a BAD day dectector. Just some are better than others.
 
Location. A few of my best finds we're surface finds.
 
Location trumps skill, luck and any 2k machine you can buy.

Of course, being the first person to a good location is very important as well. I've hunted some amazing colonial era cellar holes that were obviously great locations, but someone beat me to them and pretty much picked them clean...
 
I would normally say location. But, in answer to your question, "best day", I would have to say my EQ6.

Case in point. Used my ATP on a location that I researched and hunted to death. Found what should have been there. Somewhere's in the 350 clad, a couple of silver's, and a good amount of wheats.
Finds were almost to a stand still and wasn't really going to go back. Figured I give the site a chance to grow some more coins:laughing7:.
Bought a new machine, went back to the site, and had my best day. 9 Silver, 15 Wheats. It were the machine on that day, for sure, for sure:icon_thumright:

Disclaimer: This is not an ad for the EQ.:laughing7:
 
Skill. Because they said these spots were pounded, and they were.
 
Location. I was at a construction site. Used to be a Civil War camp in Northern Virginia. Loaded with relics.
 
Many times I've said that "Detecting was 33 1/3% machine, 33 1/3% operator, and 33 1/3% luck, but yup, as others have said, if nothing is there to begin with, then no matter what, you go home with 100% of nothing.
 
Last edited:
Sticking with it,and not giving up is the answer.Every piece of Junk you dig ,will eventually lead you to the Gold:)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom