What's new

What Detector for fresh water

kds99

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 10, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I am looking to get into water detecting next summer, so I have plenty of time to get a decent water detector. I have been told by others that most water detectors don't work so well in fresh water so what do you guys think the better fresh water detectors are?

I currently hunt relics with a mxt but texas is too hot in the summer for that

Thanks

Kevin
 
Upvote 0
I'm a bit confused. The only waterproof detector I see anyone advise against in fresh water is a PI. The reason being is a bottle cap can last a very long time in fresh water and with a PI you don't have any discrimination.
 
this is 2nd hand, but the club i belong to had a garrett rep speaking one night. He was supposed to have said that their water detectors were designed for salt water and did not work well in fresh water...... Is this bad info?
 
Tesoro Tiger Shark but you might want to wait till Garett comes out with the new one I've heard of. I'm sure others will give you opinions to
 
Fisher 1280x is a great freash water machine but a no go in salt. They can be found cheap also.
 
Tigershark, Excal, and I believe the new garrett AT Pro will be awesome, I have a TigerShark Id be willing to part with.Let me know if your interested.

CB
 
if your giong to buy new spend alot of dough...dont buy cheap...a expensive detector pays for itself....hh
 
captain ack1 said:
if your giong to buy new spend alot of dough...dont buy cheap...a expensive detector pays for itself....hh

I agree with that, I am surprised no one mentioned the minelab detectors
 
kds99 said:
this is 2nd hand, but the club i belong to had a garrett rep speaking one night. He was supposed to have said that their water detectors were designed for salt water and did not work well in fresh water...... Is this bad info?

Yes and no. The current Garrett models are both PI units. Without discrimination it makes them hard to use in fresh water. Bobby pins, bottle caps and other items will last for years in fresh water. In salt water they corrode and disolve pretty quick. You don't want to be digging a foot for a bobby pin or bb.

Some choices:
Tiger Shark
Excal
CZ-20/21
Headhunter Diver or Wader
1280X
 
GibH gave very good choices for fresh water. As was said the Pulse water detectors have very little disc no matter what the ads say. They love to sound off on long pieces of iron (nails and hairpins.)

I use the Tiger Shark, Excal, CZ-20, and 1280 for fresh water and all work well. Garrett is coming out with a new VLF water detectors called the AT Pro in Nov. and dealers are taking preorders now. See your local dealer. All dealers will sell at the same price and the only difference is the cheap junk you get from some places.

The AT Pro has a screen that gives you a good example of the target before you scoop it, but a screen isn't necessary as if it beeps we dig it. But the screen can help you not waste time digging coins while you search for the lower numbers like pull tabs and gold rings.
 

Attachments

  • AT PRO.webp
    AT PRO.webp
    2.5 KB · Views: 323
  • At Pro1.webp
    At Pro1.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 322
That new Garrett AT PRO coming in November looks promising.
 
thanks for the info, I am going to talk to the garrett rep and see what he has to say about the new detector. all else i may end up with a cz21 or 1280 depending on if the wife finds a job between now and spring
 
The Garrett Rep. is wrong . I have an Infinium LS and it works better in fresh water than in salt. In fresh water ,I find a lot of small Gold post ear rings. I use Garrett's mono coils ,both 8" and 10 x14 " they are also very good for Relic huntting.The only problem I have is you need to carry your passport with you because the Infinium and sea huntter go very,very deeep. HH Ron Lord ,Naples Fla.
 
DO NOT GET A PI PERIOD . UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIG EVERY LITTLE PIECE OF IRON LIKE BOBBY PINS PAPER CLIPS ETC. AS THEY HAVE NO REJECTION AND ARE PRIMARILY DESIGNED FOR THE SALT WATER. GET A USED EXCAL OR A USED CZ20 THEY BOTH ARE EXCELLENT IN THE FRESH WATER AND ARE MUCH BETTER THAN ANY OTHERS MENTIONED ABOVE . IMO
 
Both Garrett PI detector have disc on them.
 
It is true that PI's offer no discrimination, however, there are some places, even fresh water, where the PI's may well dominate the Excal or the CZ-20.

I know in the Great Lakes region as well as the Hawaiian Islands area quite a few folks prefer the PI to the Excal because the ground conditions there and the Excal do not appear to mix too well.

Also, Excals do not typically get the same depth as a PI, which some people really want.

But as you have warned, if you use a PI, be prepared to dig a lot of tash. I've done it. ;D

As for Garrett discrimination, I think thats a bit of questionable marketing. PI's don't discriminate. What very limited discrimination you may get on the Garrett's, be prepared to lose considerable depth. Garrett makes great PI machines, but I think they really ought to just dump the discrimination knob. It's misleading IMHO.
 
I own an excal and an Infinium ,and have owned a cz20,1280x and next detector will be a Sea Hunter Mark 2. The Garrett's PI detectors tune out the manerials in the water. The sea hunter has a notch control type disc.you can tune out small pices of alum. and still find Gold. A lot of people talk about detector that they never used and have no idea what they are talking about .I have been hunting for 35 years and have use most of them.And now I am going back to the PI's because they are getting better and deeper than ever before.THINK a ABOUT IT !!!!!!!!!!!
 
I use the MK II and if you use the elimination it does decrease depth as well as sensitivity to smaller pieces of metal. I would not buy one expecting it to be able to disc or notch out anything. I wouldn't hesitate suggesting it for someone looking for an affordable PI, but for hunting freshwater there are better choices IMO. As for the Infinium, I've never tried one so I can't say.
 
ron lord said:
I own an excal and an Infinium ,and have owned a cz20,1280x and next detector will be a Sea Hunter Mark 2. The Garrett's PI detectors tune out the manerials in the water. The sea hunter has a notch control type disc.you can tune out small pices of alum. and still find Gold. A lot of people talk about detector that they never used and have no idea what they are talking about .I have been hunting for 35 years and have use most of them.And now I am going back to the PI's because they are getting better and deeper than ever before.THINK a ABOUT IT !!!!!!!!!!!

Ron,

If you're referring to me, I have used the Garrett's PI (both of them) and I have found that the discrimination is of little value. I appreciate the tone system on the Infinium which is better than any discrimination knob I've ever seen. I also have no criticism of PI's in general as my post shows. In fact, I like them a lot, except in really trashy areas. Sorry if you thought otherwise.
 
That cool ,no Problem here.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom