What detector is the absolute best and accurate coinshooter!!!!!

the SE is my first choice. the garrett gti 2500 is the other high end machine i own and it is a nice machine, but it is not on par with the minelab for depth.i also prefer the DD coil that comes with the minelab to the concentric coil the GTI has. it gets better coverage and deals with minerilized ground better. the GTI is a faster swing machine though and is nice for covering a lot of ground and the size feature is nice to have if you are coinshooting shallow targets. i just never got the depth that i wanted from the GTI. the minelab has solved that problem. one thing about the SE you should know though, and that is that you have got to use a slow swing speed with this machine. there is no way around it.in order for the machine to interpret the multiple frequencies it is using, you have to go slow. they recomend a four second sweep speed. i have found this to be a good thing though as it forces me to be more carefull. i noticed a pretty dramatic increase in my good finds when i switched to the minelab. whether that is the machine, the slower speed at which i hunt now, or just dumb luck i dont know, but i do know its true.

A lot of what determines the efficacy of a certain detector (besides the person swinging it) is the ground you're going over. I've swung detectors that were praised as depth demons.. with disappointing results, whereas other detectors which were panned turned out to be deepest. This also goes for TID. Higher mineralization tends to skew the ID. I've hunted places that were loaded with goodies 'cause the previous detectorists didn't realize that their notching out the junk was actually knocking out the goodies. yet again it comes down to the person swinging the detector. I've got at least one detector that is going on 20 yrs old and I'd put it up against a brand new Explorer, DFX, GTI, etc. any day. There has been surprisingly little change in VLF detectors in the past couple of decades, save that they've become more compact and power efficient. The only real innovation (as I've stated before) is the Garrett GTI series with the extra receive loop and sizing. ..Willy. BTW. A lot of what I say is my personal opinion, and if you think otherwise.. you're wrong.

I've really only read good things about the new Fisher F75. It's over $900 & I'm in a new area so not going to spend that much to get new coins. But it is lightweight, moderate complexity/# of adjustments, can be swept fast, large DD coil for high mineralization, with good separation abilities. It has manual ground balance & fastgrab, you can choose modes & tones, notch out various items, numerical ID, reads ground mineralization # & ferrous content of soil.

I've used the RS/Bounty Discovery 3300 & when something is too weak to ID (small or deep) the ID says $/199. F75 may read slightly low when a coin is very deep, rather than very high like the 3300. So I don't think there would be much of a problem with iron giving coin IDs. One user got a 10" wheat cent & a Liberty Head nickel down about 12". HH, George (MN)

F75 , T2 , Nautilus DMC 2 Ba , not necessarily in that order & depending on ground conditions . My 2 cents .

WV Hillbilly said:
F75 , T2 , Nautilus DMC 2 Ba , not necessarily in that order & depending on ground conditions . My 2 cents .

How many People have used the new F75 and would rate it high? Is all the hype true?

Fisher / F T spent a lot of time with one one of the best engineers & prototype testers out there to build the F75 . I'd be willing to bet it's as good if not better than anything available . I haven't used it but that's what I'd buy if I was going to drop a grand . There is some good info on it over on Finds Treasure Forum by Bill Ladd , one of the prototype testers .

You won't get burned buying a used CZ series. Except no warranty. I've never had a problem with mine, other than I left it out in the rain once. Dried it out and it's still beeping.... LOL!

The Fisher spider coil is one of the best out there for pinpointing, in my opinion.

I love my tesoro cortez(that should be a bumper sticker). My MD dealer uses one quite alot, it gets great depth, discriminates like a dream, and pinpoints like you won't BELIEVE. I too graduated from a BH, and I fully feel that the cortez is completely worth the price. I agree with the responses that there is no "best" machine, but don't let 'em fool ya, the cortez comes close.

Started out 35 or so years ago with Fisher, then White's' then Compass. Now I've been a confirmed Minelab nut for 12 years. I have a XT17000 for gold and an ExplorerXS for everything else. I have been holding out for something to turn my Explorer into a backup machine.

I was not that impressed with the 'improvements' in the Explorer II. The SE is now my first choice for a 'go-to' first machine. Now.... I live 42 miles from White's plant in Sweethome. The Minelab plant is in frigging-Australia. I have worked ground DIRECTLY behind different models of White's and dug coins they could not hear. I will not be switching away from Minelab anytime soon.

But.....I am hearing some seriously good things about the recovery speed (coming back after a null) of the F75. This has been my only gripe about the XS. Always seemed a bit slow. The F75 is supposed to be a bit noisy but learning the.....calliope sound modes of the XS was not my favorite experience either.

If you find a machine that will beat the SE or the F75, please let me know. I'm in the market too.

Bud

Youngladd said:
I am saving up for my next detector, I research old sites and strictly coinshoot, I dont like diggin up garbage, so I normally try to profile my target as a coin size object that is non ferrous before digging and I use other techniques. What i am looking for is the best detector for the job and i will learn and/or program the detector to maximize my coin finds.

The one you like in your hand and the one in your hand that you paid for.

W6PEA said:
Youngladd said:
I am saving up for my next detector, I research old sites and strictly coinshoot, I dont like diggin up garbage, so I normally try to profile my target as a coin size object that is non ferrous before digging and I use other techniques. What i am looking for is the best detector for the job and i will learn and/or program the detector to maximize my coin finds.

Thanks, thats a big help

No offense, but isn't it amazing that most of the people that that state "that the machine doesn't matter" and play these word games with me, all have high end expensive machines like Minelab,Fisher and Whites. I am starting to see a pattern here.

All l I want is your expert opinions about the best machines that you have experience with and why you like them. This will add value to our discussion.

Youngladd said:
W6PEA said:
Youngladd said:

Thanks, thats a big help

No offense, but isn't it amazing that most of the people that that state "that the machine doesn't matter" and play these word games with me, all have high end expensive machines like Minelab,Fisher and Whites. I am starting to see a pattern here.

All l I want is your expert opinions about the best machines that you have experience with and why you like them. This will add value to our discussion.

I hope you didn't think I was messing with your head. In my opinion you get what you pay for.
I have a Mine Lab Sovereign GT. I am very happy with it it cost over $600.00, if you can afford that much I would say get a Sovereign. They work great in saltwater. Depending on what you want to use your detector for is another question and subject.

Get in touch with Tony in CT. He is a dealer and he is very good, and in my opinion he will give you very good information and maybe price. http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com

I had his telephone number but I can't find it it will be on his website.
He carries white ,garrett, sovereign, and I think fisher but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• yhst-16189257583116_1939_1058.jpg
    yhst-16189257583116_1939_1058.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 558
  • yhst-16189257583116_1939_1058.jpg
    yhst-16189257583116_1939_1058.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 564
W6PEA said:
Youngladd said:
W6PEA said:
Youngladd said:

Thanks, thats a big help

I hope you didn't think I was messing with your head. In my opinion you get what you pay for.
I have a Mine Lab Sovereign GT. I am very happy with it it cost over $600.00, if you can afford that much I would say get a Sovereign. They work great in saltwater. Depending on what you want to use your detector for is another question and subject.

Get in touch with Tony in CT. He is a dealer and he is very good, and in my opinion he will give you very good information and maybe price. http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com

I had his telephone number but I can't find it it will be on his website.
He carries white ,garrett, sovereign, and I think fisher but I'm not sure.

Thanks

i know everyone has a preference and i'm no different, i'd say they are all good and some are better for sure, i have used whites, fisher and bounty hunter, no longer have the whites or the fisher and have 3 bounty hunters right now, for me i get more bang for the bucks and i'm very happy with my new landstar, no matter what you get you will have fun.

The BH 3300 that I have is a fine machine, but there the one thing I don't like about it is, it beeps the same on a weak signal or strong signal, I compensate for that by hunting in pinpoint mode and look for faint short signals. When I find one then flip back to all metal and perform a target profile. If I do this right about 70% of the time its a deep coin. However he VDI on this machine is tricky, the deep coins sometimes read as pulltab or iron. so I end up digging up a little more iron than i would like. I believe a better machine would solve this issue. I like the features of the SE, I could perform a a better analysis with the threshold,ferrous and conductivity readings, do the tones on the SE vary with the strength of signal? I need to be able to separate the weak signals from the strong.

i have never played with an se but it sounds like you know what your looking for and would probley be a great machine for you, goodluck and keep us updated.

http://www.staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk/depth_test.htm

Here's a UK depth test with buried coins. It sure slams the White's and the new F75, but leaves my Musketeer Advantage smelling pretty darned nice. I don't know if I fully believe the results.

Just adding to the stew. I'd actually been hunting up info on the F75 as an altarnative to the Sovereign GT I've been leaning towards. Now I'm swinging back to the Sovereign.

You mat be able to tell I'm not one who changes detectors more frequently than my car's oil (or my underpants). I'm leery of the guys who claim to have owned 17 detecors in the past year and were well versed in each of them. I'm on my first "good" detector and still learning it's quirks after five years.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Tesoro machines. I have a Cibola and love it. My dad has a DFX and we were out yesterday and I was outdoing him 2 to 1. But, and this a big but, he was treating it as a turn and go machine (or so it seemed) and I've learned the settings on mine and I've done a lot to learn the different tones I'm getting out of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back