What detector is the absolute best and accurate coinshooter!!!!!

thanks to the one that posted thelink to the chart!
the wife and me are new to the hobbby and she set me to looking last year.

i used the dector reviews a lot...
at first i was inclined to go with a BH resonable price...
but i decided to check a new way.. resale on ebay
i watched reserves and prices of the dealers
compaired to the item sold prices i saw
and on reading reviews i changed ...
i started watching mine lab... thoes that hated them disliked the tones
it was the ones that said they at last learned the song it sang and they could not belive what they found!

i started watching prices on ebay and found that with ML you also had to watch the accessorys with it...

av price with:::> basic set / dector only / with a wonderfull orange thing / with a pointer / recharge ables also factored in..
the bigest in demand accessory was a WOT coil with any of the ML above a musky...next a pointer ...

av exp basic = 700 loaded 900
sov gt pro 2 or elite basic = 500 loaded = 700
i watch for a pro2 as the new exp was generating too much intrest in any exp and prices were up on all
sov title vers elite tho as i under stand basicly a rename sov pro 2 lower
i watch and bided my time gont a pro 2 with wot and pin pointer no carry bag but with recharage able pack ct for $ 450 including ship as there was an oddity in the listing were it did not show on most surches... i was only bidder!
it arived a week ago and we are still wandering what the song is but have high hopes we will learn the music !
for the money and abblity go for the sov pro 2

;D Just this afternoon my XLT told me there was 50 cent in the ground. I cut a small plug and out pops 2 quarters. Hows that for accuracy ;D Seriously though, I like White's machines and I like the machines that Minelab puts out, even though I don't own a Minelab, yet. Minelab has the depth edge, but the higher end White's machines have the edge in quality. Both brands discriminate well, give lots of information about the target, and both will find items that you are looking for.

On the new Fisher detector, I think it is the ugliest metal detector that I have ever looked at.

Tell us what detectors you have in mind, and you may get more of the type of response that you are looking for.

one of the main factors in us chousing the mine lab
was it's salt beach reviews!
all owners of sov's that were selling theirs
were upgradeing to the new exp...
yes he needs to say what he has in mind to do most
that i for got to say on my choice thanks for bringing it up!
that is a very important factor in choices!

Hi Dave,

I too have looked at the Sovreign. I think it is a great machine. I also like the Quattro. The SE is a bit out of my price range, unless I can find a used model at a reasonable price.

I got it!

The absolute BEST detctor out there!

It's the one that gets used, rather than the one sitting in the closet. :D

Well if you Garrett and DFX users want to get even more pissed off- In fact if you own an Ace 250 or a DFX- don't go any further- It will just made you angry.- Here is another European(Belgium) depth in ground comparsion chart for most current detectors. It is in Dutch. You have to convert cm to inches and still have to read between the lines- different coil sizes and disc modes.
Different size coins- interpretating what is what silver? versus low conductors- Well figure it out. Some of the results were quite different from the earlier posted UK depth tests which people(including me) had questions about.
I notice in these charts that the heavy hitters such as Ex11- Tejon, F75 and XP Power Maxx were close. This is what I would have expected. I guess if the detector detected the object at that depth it got a green V. If it did not it got a red X.

This chart may be a bit more reliable but don't shoot the messenger. Take it or leave it.

http://www.thunting.com/geotech/forums/showthread.php?t=12906

The original link if you want to try to translate is

http://www.m-b-l.nl/mijnforum/viewtopic.php?t=443

George

Youngladd said:
The BH 3300 that I have is a fine machine, but there the one thing I don't like about it is, it beeps the same on a weak signal or strong signal,
the ace 250 is the same

Anyone besides me ever think someone would lie about the depth readings on certain machines so to make other that don't have this detector feel their machine is inferior? What's to stop you from posting depths of 3 foot on a dime with the "new improved coil?"

EDDEKALB said:
"What detector is the absolute best and accurate coinshooter!!!!! "
your brain use it the machine is a redundant extention of your sense's
have a look at this
http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/index.html

Oh sure, and that is exactly why you have a $1100 custom troy detector because your brain's doin all the work. LOL

There's many a problem associated with detector comparisons. Even such a setting as sensitivity can settings be difficult to compare. I mean, does the sensitivity follow a linear or logarithmic progression? If one detector is linear and another logarithmic, 50% power might be totally different between the 2. Also, there's coils (DD and concentric) comparing apples and oranges doesn't tell much. On top of that there's the targets being sought. Stick a 1 grain gold nugget in there and see which of the top performers excel. Another consideration is when preset GB detectors are compared against adjustable detectors; c'mon, reality check here. A lot of those preset detectors CAN be adjusted.. quite likely there'd be somewhat different results. ...Willy.

Youngladd said:
EDDEKALB said:
"What detector is the absolute best and accurate coinshooter!!!!! "
your brain use it the machine is a redundant extention of your sense's
have a look at this
http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/index.html

Oh sure, and that is exactly why you have a $1100 custom troy detector because your brain's doin all the work. LOL

What EDDEKALB and LADD mean (and I agree with) is that an older detector in the hands of one who has totally mastered his machine will find a lot more than the lastest whizbank detector in the hands of a novice.

That is one of problems I feel we have in ground tests- You should have an expert user of the machine doing the testings(hopefully years of experience). Different size coils (besides DD versus mono) for different machines also make things more difficult. Just what is the lowest level of iron discrimination used can be subjective to one's experience. In addition, ground mineralization or lack of it can really affect the results.

About the Belgium test. Perhaps we should be honest here. If you want to know what the experienced CW relic hunters are using to find deep relics it is not difficult to find out. After years of browsing the relic forums you will find folks with Tejons, Vanqueros, X-5s, and Naulitlus machines(there are others) but no you are not going to find the experienced veterans using Garretts and DFXs out there. Sorry it is the truth.

So what do we want? the truth? Maybe not. We don't really want the truth if our detector is not rated as deep as the others.

With regards to lying about a detector's ability. Well very quickly everything comes out in the wash. A few months after a detector is released it's general ability is well known. Just a lot of forums out there with the new machine users posting all the time. If you routinely check the Geotech Forum as EDDEKALB has suggested- the new detectors will be evaluated by the most experienced veterans of our hobby. Folks who fibbed will never be forgotten and will be remembered. In my opinion most "hype" comes from brand loyalists and not from dealers.

TN here is a little different as it has a high population of new users. It's refreshing in a way but for information of new machines I search elsewhere. Other forums are tipped toward the high end with veteran users whereas TN has a big Ace 250 crowd. For example, the F75 is being widely discussed on other forums but not here. This tilted preference is not bad but just different than other forums.

George

DirtDiggerDaveinMD said:
On the new Fisher detector, I think it is the ugliest metal detector that I have ever looked at.

I had to find out, so I asked around for a profile. It ain't too ugly, but it ain't the sleekest pig in the pen, neither. :D

Attachments

• F75 Sideview small.jpg
    F75 Sideview small.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 376
  • F75 Sideview small.jpg
    F75 Sideview small.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 381
bakergeol said:
What EDDEKALB and LADD mean (and I agree with) is that an older detector in the hands of one who has totally mastered his machine will find a lot more than the lastest whizbank detector in the hands of a novice.

IMHO Your statement is probably true, but it is irrelevant. If we are assuming that I am the "novice" in that statement, then it doesn't matter to me at all that someone else is better than me with an older cheaper detector, that is not important. Now what is important is that I believe that I can master any machine and that I can out perform myself with the right machine. I am already aware that that the MD interpretation, skill and technique on each respective machine is key. BUT what I am looking for is a the best machine for me that i want to devote the time and energy into mastering. so far i have been leaning toward the SE,GTA 2500 or the F75. But I haven't made up my mind yet .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back