what detector to buy

FinderFrank

Sep 28, 2006
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE
Hi, I have a bounty hunter detector.I have had good w/ this unit but I am wanting to upgrade to be able to hit deeper targets.I mostly need a good detector for coin shooting.I have been considering the EXPLORER SE. It will be used on dirt in the Ohio area no sand.I have been a long time reader of this site and know there is alot of knowledgable people on here.Any advise or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,Frank

Upvote 0

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
The best coin shooter around is the Garrett TreasureAce 250, hands down. I don't know what it compares to in depth to other detectors, but I have found my share.

Look for alot of responses, my results are different then others.

DM

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
you would have a hard time going wrong with the expolorer. if i had the funds i would buy one myself.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I haven't seen an explorer in action but I recently saw a T2 being used and if I was going to spend 7-8 hundred on another detecter,that is what I would be getting.Besides it's not heavy like the explorer,very light weight.Just my opinion.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
To be frank, Frank, I'd recommend the Nautilus IIB. Its less than half the price of the Explorer II and is a supreme machine.

As for depth, if the Explorer II is deeper I wouldn't want it. I can barely dig the stuff my Naughty finds. My last good find was a 19th century Lumber token at more inches than you would believe. It sounded off like a shallow beer can. I appreciated the find but not the misery of cropping through gravel and hard packed clay.

I have nearly 40 years experience with metal detectors and coin shooting/relic hunting and the Nautilus is a dream come true for me.

Anyway, it sounds like you're already mostly sold on the Explorer so just keep this comment in your mind for the future.

Best to you.

Badger

OP
OP
FinderFrank

FinderFrank

Sep 28, 2006
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE
Hey guys, Great info,I am happy to have found this forum w/ so many knowlegable and experienced people in detecting.The answers I get here will heavily impact which detector I choose to buy.I want to make the right decision the first time as you know some of the prices are quite high.
Badger which coil do you reccomend for coin shooting w/ the Nautilus IIB as I see it can be ordered w/ a few different coils.
Thanks again, Frank

Detector Man

Dec 6, 2005
California
Detector(s) used
XLT, MXT PRO
Re: what detector to buy....i vote Ace 250 or MXT

If money is no object get an explorer SE ...and youre a serious detectorist willing to spend a lot of time and have patience to learn the EXP SE very steep learning curve...and a HEAVY machine. (ive been told by others).

Other than that id go for the ACE 250 (low cost and a machine that evidently produces) OR the WHites MXT...every thing i read says positive things bout the machine....lower learning curve

Good luck to you.

Gilbert

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many good detectors out there that are less expensive than the Explorer SE. I could recommend several. However I suggest you go to the web sites for Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett. Since you want to move up from BH, I don't rec. Fisher anymore as the life time warranty now costs $$$ to repair.

The standard coil that comes with the detector is good for general detecting, but the other sizes are for trash areas or covering huge fields and to get deeper.

The Explorer SE is a great detector being at the top of the line. It is fairly easy to learn and a great coin shooter that do it all but go underwater.

HH,
Sandman

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
The Explorer was the best machine I have used for coin only hunting. Great tone ID. As a lot of Explorer 11 users are upgrading to the SE you could perhaps get a good deal on an older model. My major complaint was it's weight and a lot of people were disappointed that the new SE was not significantly lighter than the EX 11. If they could produce a light weight Terra X-70 why not for the SE?

I have never used a Nauilus- it is a legend for depth but a lot of people prefer digital/meter. Actually I prefer non digital myself and the Nauilus would be the type of machine I personally would prefer.(My current main machines X-5 and GS5). Weight?

There also is the Treasure Baron. Little publicity about it- but it's depth is incredible. Ranked on top (air depth wise) on a test posted here at TN against a couple dozen other detectors. Weight?
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,43949.0.html
Forum page is
http://jb-ms.com/Baron/

Actually as the season is will be over soon for many of us, I would wait to see what will be introduced before next spring. Will Troy produce his long awaited X-7 with tone ID? Wait for all of the reviews of the EX SE to come in?

We all have our different prejudices about what we are looking for in a machine. For me(being an older guy) weight of a detector is important( I don't like using a bungee cord).

George

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a lot depends on how much you have to spend. If you like BH you lmight mant to check out the Technetics T-2. Owners report very deep results if deep is what you are seeking. An economy buy would be the ACE 250. I have one and have found coins at 9" under ideal conditions....planted coins with no trash. If you ever venture into unstable ground such as seashore or hot geological areas you might need one with an adjustable ground balance, which the ACE doesn't have. In that case you might check into the mid-range price wise detectors. All the major manufacturers have a good selection across the board. Check out the threads on this forum under the various brands and what the owners say. Select 2 or 3 that you can live with and then shop around for the best prices. If you have a local dealer, give them a try also. Monty

OP
OP
FinderFrank

FinderFrank

Sep 28, 2006
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE
Hey guys ,I am still trying to make my final decision.I have been doing alot of research on alot of detectors you guys have mentioned. I'm looking real hard at the Garret GTI 1500,Does anyone have any thoughts or expierence w/ this detector?Looks like it would be alittle more user friendly than the minelab se,Also a little easier on the wallet.

Thanks again,Frank

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a GTI 1500 and it is a easy one to operate. Press Power, choose what mode you want, and press Operate. You can start sweeping. Course you can scroll thru the rest of the menu and change settings like Volume, Threshold, tone, etc. It's a nice detector.

Mine however is sick. I dropped it on the driveway and it sometimes beeps when you hold it still. I'll send it in when I find a box for it.

HH,
Sandman

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
the 1500 is a nice machine. the size feature is pretty cool although it is only accurate to a depth of about 6 inches. there are a lot of coils available for it, and the depth is respectable. the learning curve ia pretty short so you should be finding stuff in no time. i would say its a pretty solid choice.

OP
OP
FinderFrank

FinderFrank

Sep 28, 2006
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE
Ok guys,I think I am down to two detectors ,the Garret GTI 1500 or the MINELAB QUATTRO. It seems like these two are a better choice for me because of the learning curve and budget. So, anyone with experience or knowledge on these 2 detectors, give me your opinion on which is a better choice. Hopefully I can order this thing by next week.

Thanks again, Frank

Detector Man

Dec 6, 2005
California
Detector(s) used
XLT, MXT PRO
The last thing you posted was GTI 1500 or QUattro and you got the arm breaker EXP SE? what happened? ???...its a serious difference ...Inquiring minds want to know. Eventually when i upgrade ill be getting one too....i know you will be satisfied with the performance (from reading everyones postings).
GIlbert

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
top of the line choice. just be patient while learning it. it is a world class machine.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good choice with the explorer SE! It doesn't take as long to learn as a lot of people lead on. Sure, it can get heavy but you actually get used to it after a while.

Good luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! There are quite a few of us explorer users here on the forum!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread