What's new

what did I find?

concorde

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 18, 2013
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Found this on the beach today while detecting...not paticularly heavy..smoothed edges...no pinholes??
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130418_210247.webp
    ForumRunner_20130418_210247.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 300
  • ForumRunner_20130418_210255.webp
    ForumRunner_20130418_210255.webp
    13 KB · Views: 305
  • ForumRunner_20130418_210303.webp
    ForumRunner_20130418_210303.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 279
Upvote 0
Campfire nugget....a melted aluminum beer can.
 
Be prepared to find several of those..... especially near the high water marks.

Dew
 
The beaches that I hunt are loaded with these aluminum bits....they sure do sound good from the coil end!

Lorraine
 
Deffinately not like the othe alum cans I have found..looks just like a rock and is just as hard
 
Yep, aluminum nuggets from campfires.... much easier to put in the pouch than ones that look like they have been cut up with a mower....
Great lakes have a few ton of them along the shores in spots....

Cliff
 
Yep aluminum nuggets. Paint them with gold paint and they look real good ... until you feel how light they are.
 
Its not an aluminum nugget!! I've found lots of campfire nuggets...this is different.
 
then what is it? you try to take it to a rock shop or some sort of pawn shop?
 
No just found it yesterday...no rock shops for 1000 miles....looks like one tho...if it was heavy I would think meteorite and if I could dent it I would think metal...mystery
 
Yep aluminum nuggets. Paint them with gold paint and they look real good ... until you feel how light they are.

Wouldn't those be fun to drop in the dry sand :happysmiley:
 
Test it with a magnet, scratch it with something hard like a knife blade that will tell you if it is harder or softer than carbon steel/ss steel. Odds are, you will find it is light weight and aluminum, sometimes I found a few that would be slightly attracted to a magnet and the best I could guess was that something else melted with it to give it a slightly heavier weight and the magnet attraction.... I don't think you will find that it is anything valuable.

Cliff
 
Well you asked and we all told you.... dude its aluminum.... trust us we been doing this awhile to know.
 
Whatever lol I know its not alum the right item is an alum nugget...left item cant be marked with a knife and the brown spot is where I hit it with a sledge and I cant mark it...Ill have to hang on to it
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130419_195642.webp
    ForumRunner_20130419_195642.webp
    56.5 KB · Views: 219
I spent 15 years forging aluminum pistons for a variety of engine companies, trust me, aluminum can be made as hard as a rock or a soft as butter. Just because it's aluminum doesn't mean that it can cut or scratch easily. :thumbsup:
 
Looks like an ear bone to me.
 
Figured it out...its a spent round from ww1"naval" apparently used to be an outpost for atlantic defense
 
Figured it out...its a spent round from ww1"naval" apparently used to be an outpost for atlantic defense

HUH? How did you figure that out? Shrapnel has jagged edges, those are round and smooth like it has been totally melted.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom