What's new

What do I have here?

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2011
Messages
6,154
Reaction score
7,991
Golden Thread
4
Location
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine dug this object in a 1900-20s bottle dump. He asked me about it and at first I thought that it is an ornate water valve handle but the threading on the back does not look right for that use. It is made of brass and I haven't seen any markings on it. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • Front 2012-01-12_17-10-16_630.webp
    Front 2012-01-12_17-10-16_630.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 505
  • Back 2012-01-12_17-10-25_7.webp
    Back 2012-01-12_17-10-25_7.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 504
  • Side 2012-01-12_17-10-31_835.webp
    Side 2012-01-12_17-10-31_835.webp
    10 KB · Views: 512
GaRebel,Not a pipe thread,what ever it is it'll make a nice display piece!!! God Bless Chris
 
Upvote 0
Appears to be a bolt made to be tightened and loosened by hand. Very neat piece.
 
Upvote 0
it could be for a pressure relief valve handle
 
Upvote 0
I'm a bit confused by this
what is the white stuff. white grease?
if so is it in current use
I see on your finger the white stuff has rubbed off onto your fingers, including a white imprint of the thread on you finger
is the thread right or left hand turn
you say is brass but I see spots on the bulbs that indicate could be pot metal
Looks like a handle to a wheel valve
Brady
 
Upvote 0
The thread looks like pipe thread to me
I spent 30 years in the pipe supply biz
Brady
 
Upvote 0
I'm guessing this is a decorative pipe plug
for what, no clue
Brady
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
bradyboy said:
The thread looks like pipe thread to me
I spent 30 years in the pipe supply biz
Brady
bradyboy,Man,I need to get my eyes checked!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Upvote 0
I'm thinking it was used like a set screw type thingy,, maybe a solid shaft slide inside a tube/pipe then tighten it in place ,don't believe it's plumbing related,, I'm 35 yrs HVAC High temp water and steam,, doesn't look familiar
 
Upvote 0
How about drawer, door or some type of hardware. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
fish4walleye said:
I'm thinking it was used like a set screw type thingy,, maybe a solid shaft slide inside a tube/pipe then tighten it in place ,don't believe it's plumbing related,, I'm 35 yrs HVAC High temp water and steam,, doesn't look familiar
I am also 35 years HVAC/plumbing and the threaded part would be a stem if it was plumbing. Not a faucet handle. I also agree that it may be a set screw type thing. I have a similar thing on my camper antenna to raise it and tighten the pole.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom