What's new

What do the marks mean?

renegade_7

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
977
Reaction score
87
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Half way through my second box, and I noticed several halves with pen/sharpie marks, either dots or x, usually black in color. Does this mean the halves have been previously checked by another roll searcher, or is this possibly some method used in counting? I only found one keeper thus far, but I wonder if I got a box of already checked duds. Ever happen to any of you guys?
 
Upvote 0
Those are marks left by another CRHer. I personally have found it would be a waste of time to do that as most all the rolls I get are in sealed boxes, so I don't bother with it.
 
renegade_7 said:
Half way through my second box, and I noticed several halves with pen/sharpie marks, either dots or x, usually black in color. Does this mean the halves have been previously checked by another roll searcher, or is this possibly some method used in counting? I only found one keeper thus far, but I wonder if I got a box of already checked duds. Ever happen to any of you guys?

Oh yeah-

Check this out:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,114964.0.html
 
Some people who search coins suffer from a mental problem where they actually believe that once they search a coin roll and mark the coins that this somehow takes them out of circulation and that no one will ever see them again and that no one will ever make more deposits and that you wont find silver in the marked coins ever...
Fact is, its a way of thinking that is very very very limited in its scope.

Fact is also coins are going in and out of the system all the time. What happens when coin collectors kid takes em not knowing, or wife, or what happens when someones wife sends them to the bank due to divorce or because she maybe caught him with another woman...who knows, maybe someones kid inherited coins and needed cash to buy drugs. And of course just ignorance due to a couple generations not knowing there are "real" silver coins out there. How many tellers do we know that will save and give us the silver at face when they work at banks. They dont know they are worth more they just think we are cute or crazy.

Because of these factors you find silver with marked coins all the time. A couple weeks ago I found some 40 BU ben franklin coins all 62s and 63s, they were like new, and in along side them where coins marked with red and black and green and all sorts of colors and marks.
Fact is, those marks did not protect that box or those coins from coming into contact with more silver.

EVEN Stranger is that 40% halves that I have found marked...And the occasional full roll of 40s or 90s that you find in someones dumps...is it that? or did someone just take in a roll and never checked or knew to a bank where someone else dumped...either way, Halves are gonna move.

Marking only proves one thing. that no matter what, the coins circulate and move around.
the only coins I have marked are tokens that I found in fed rolls as I know they will go back to them. and some of those marked tokens have come back to be in fed boxes at banks I dumped at and Golly gee there is silver mixed in.
If you find some weird angle coin with 3 holes drilled in the rim, thats me. I dont mark the normal halves as its pointless.

I also make it a point to spend halves localy. When some business deposits them in a change machine it may be just a few dollars off from being send in to be re rolled. And some of those bags are years old!.
 
jewelerdave said:
Some people who search coins suffer from a mental problem where they actually believe that once they search a coin roll and mark the coins that this somehow takes them out of circulation and that no one will ever see them again and that no one will ever make more deposits and that you wont find silver in the marked coins ever...
Fact is, its a way of thinking that is very very very limited in its scope.

Fact is also coins are going in and out of the system all the time. What happens when coin collectors kid takes em not knowing, or wife, or what happens when someones wife sends them to the bank due to divorce or because she maybe caught him with another woman...who knows, maybe someones kid inherited coins and needed cash to buy drugs. And of course just ignorance due to a couple generations not knowing there are "real" silver coins out there. How many tellers do we know that will save and give us the silver at face when they work at banks. They dont know they are worth more they just think we are cute or crazy.

Because of these factors you find silver with marked coins all the time. A couple weeks ago I found some 40 BU ben franklin coins all 62s and 63s, they were like new, and in along side them where coins marked with red and black and green and all sorts of colors and marks.
Fact is, those marks did not protect that box or those coins from coming into contact with more silver.

EVEN Stranger is that 40% halves that I have found marked...And the occasional full roll of 40s or 90s that you find in someones dumps...is it that? or did someone just take in a roll and never checked or knew to a bank where someone else dumped...either way, Halves are gonna move.

Marking only proves one thing. that no matter what, the coins circulate and move around.
the only coins I have marked are tokens that I found in fed rolls as I know they will go back to them. and some of those marked tokens have come back to be in fed boxes at banks I dumped at and Golly gee there is silver mixed in.
If you find some weird angle coin with 3 holes drilled in the rim, thats me. I dont mark the normal halves as its pointless.

I also make it a point to spend halves localy. When some business deposits them in a change machine it may be just a few dollars off from being send in to be re rolled. And some of those bags are years old!.

I agree 100%. I also spend most of the halves I get vice rolling them and turning them back in. Quite often I hear folks say they are going to buy them and put them away. Now that DOES take them out of circulation, for a while anyway. A lot of folks also say they are going to save them for their kids. Again, it takes them out of circulation for a while.
 
Good points jewelerdave. Maybe they mark them so if they get them again in the future, they know they have already checked them. I don't know; seems odd to me. Thanks to all the responses.
 
jewelerdave said:
Some people who search coins suffer from a mental problem where they actually believe that once they search a coin roll and mark the coins that this somehow takes them out of circulation and that no one will ever see them again and that no one will ever make more deposits and that you wont find silver in the marked coins ever...
Fact is, its a way of thinking that is very very very limited in its scope.

Fact is also coins are going in and out of the system all the time. What happens when coin collectors kid takes em not knowing, or wife, or what happens when someones wife sends them to the bank due to divorce or because she maybe caught him with another woman...who knows, maybe someones kid inherited coins and needed cash to buy drugs. And of course just ignorance due to a couple generations not knowing there are "real" silver coins out there. How many tellers do we know that will save and give us the silver at face when they work at banks. They dont know they are worth more they just think we are cute or crazy.

Because of these factors you find silver with marked coins all the time. A couple weeks ago I found some 40 BU ben franklin coins all 62s and 63s, they were like new, and in along side them where coins marked with red and black and green and all sorts of colors and marks.
Fact is, those marks did not protect that box or those coins from coming into contact with more silver.

EVEN Stranger is that 40% halves that I have found marked...And the occasional full roll of 40s or 90s that you find in someones dumps...is it that? or did someone just take in a roll and never checked or knew to a bank where someone else dumped...either way, Halves are gonna move.

Marking only proves one thing. that no matter what, the coins circulate and move around.
the only coins I have marked are tokens that I found in fed rolls as I know they will go back to them. and some of those marked tokens have come back to be in fed boxes at banks I dumped at and Golly gee there is silver mixed in.
If you find some weird angle coin with 3 holes drilled in the rim, thats me. I dont mark the normal halves as its pointless.

I also make it a point to spend halves localy. When some business deposits them in a change machine it may be just a few dollars off from being send in to be re rolled. And some of those bags are years old!.
I agree, it is how idiots sign their name.
 
jewelerdave said:
Some people who search coins suffer from a mental problem where they actually believe that once they search a coin roll and mark the coins that this somehow takes them out of circulation and that no one will ever see them again and that no one will ever make more deposits and that you wont find silver in the marked coins ever...

awhitster said:
I agree, it is how idiots sign their name.

Come on guys, lighten up! I mark my halves, I line them up in a cradle I made and a quick swipe with a colored perm marker. Just adds a few seconds. I have done 140,000 so far. I strictly do it to track when and where my halves have been. A few months ago I changed marker color and I have already seen coins that I have come across two times.

I agree there are some out there that go overboard. Big X on the face or some kind of code lines (8 or more on the edge) what a waste of time.

Some of my best silver came out of rolls that had my marked coins.

If I ever get a large percentage of my own marked coins I will look for a new source untill I feel they have been diluted enough to hunt their boxes again.
 
Good to see Patrick Earl still has access to a computer. I did'nt know they were allowed internet time in the big house. I see he still can't get over his run in with redneck Kennedys!! Gpurs...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom