what do you do in the off season?????

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Garage sale season has come to a close here in Ohio. I was hopping to get some suggestions for other places to find loot until Spring rolls around. Thrift stores have been hit and miss mostly miss as I think they have wised up to what's good now. Any tips would be great. Watch out Diggumup I may have to sneak down your way and check out some sales :laughing9:

Ace Villa-v

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There still may be an estate sale or two during the winter, though you may have to "dig" for a bargain at those.http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sale-companies/OH.aspx
Then there are the auctions and storage sales- http://www.auctionzip.com/oh.html, you may want to check your newspaper listings for smaller local auction houses.
Pawn shops are a thought, though I haven't really tried that too many times lately.
Then you still have flea markets, here is another site that lists the Ohio Fleas- [urlhttp://www.collectors.org/FM/US_oh.asp[/url]
Don't forget your local antique mall or store either. Everyone doesn't know everything and if nothing else they are good learning tools.
Down here there are many smaller thrift stores/ consignment shops where you can still find a bargain as well as thrift stores at churches. Here is my latest find, still has the original price tag on the bottom-

100_5207.jpg 100_5211.jpg

Then you could do some coin roll hunting too. Focus on halves though if your looking for the biggest return.

OP
OP
acevillav

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Those are good ideas ;D I'll check into them and let you know what I find.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
I generally end up drinking more in the off season... :tongue3:

I have some random luck at the local auction houses weekly auctions. I can sometimes score well on rescheduled auctions due to weather.

Other than some thrift searching, I'll list items saved-up from the summer and some crap hanging around the house.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Living here in Maine there is a long off season. The local flea market is ridiculously high priced, little to pick there. Often the Wally World acrossed the street has the same item cheaper and new in the box. I have gone to auctions in the past, but now that I am so into yard sale-ing, the very idea of bidding an item up instead of dickering it down in price, just goes against my grain. I do watch Craigslist, mostly for coins and bullion. But mostly it comes down to getting itchy to buy something, to go yard sale-ing, getting the shakes, going into withdrawals, driving passed the fading signs on the telephone poles and remenising with the wife as we go past houses we have picked in prior yrs about what we found at each sale and for how little. We laugh at ourselves for doing this, but it is something we have been finding ourselves doing now that we have a couple of yrs under our belts of picking. We will be driving along and one of us will say, as we pass a house, "Picked that place last yr, remember? You found an SX-70 there." Or "They had junk." LOL Someone else has already said it, but starting to drink heavily seems like the final option. Always darkest just before the dawn, but thankfully spring does come, just when we are in our darkest, drunken mood.

T.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
CladSpends2 said:
Living here in Maine there is a long off season. The local flea market is ridiculously high priced, little to pick there. Often the Wally World acrossed the street has the same item cheaper and new in the box. I have gone to auctions in the past, but now that I am so into yard sale-ing, the very idea of bidding an item up instead of dickering it down in price, just goes against my grain. I do watch Craigslist, mostly for coins and bullion. But mostly it comes down to getting itchy to buy something, to go yard sale-ing, getting the shakes, going into withdrawals, driving passed the fading signs on the telephone poles and remenising with the wife as we go past houses we have picked in prior yrs about what we found at each sale and for how little. We laugh at ourselves for doing this, but it is something we have been finding ourselves doing now that we have a couple of yrs under our belts of picking. We will be driving along and one of us will say, as we pass a house, "Picked that place last yr, remember? You found an SX-70 there." Or "They had junk." LOL Someone else has already said it, but starting to drink heavily seems like the final option. Always darkest just before the dawn, but thankfully spring does come, just when we are in our darkest, drunken mood.

T.

Sounds a lot like my winter as well. Right now I am metal detecting but soon enough it will be too cold even for that. Of course I am still barely hanging on in my area with the garage sales (but I scored big this past weekend). Estate sales are all year and I hit the thrift store every Sat morning (my local GoodWill has been good to me). I also buy coins from a local gold buyer (motly bulk wheat pennies). I even do a little scrapping if the opportunity arises. I troll Craigslist ALL day long when I am idle at work and I have been doing really well "picking" on there. I also sell stuff in the off season (mostly on ebay). I have been unloading records for the past month already and I have sold a dozen so far (none for less than $10 each). I too, hit the auction house as there are three within 10 mins of my house but NEVER to buy because the prices are just ridiculous! I put stuff up for consignment that I either couldnt sell elsewhere or is just too much hassle to ship.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
The auctions and estate sales in Maryland are awful! Don't go near them, ya hear me? ;D

Seriously, It all comes down to what knowledge you bring in with you. I have a little knowledge of telephone systems, saw some nice phones and bought 8 of them at $7 each from an estate. I sold them all 3 days later for $32 each. The problem is I didn't know enough! If I would have bought the whole phone system for a few more dollars, I'd have gotten $1000 easy. Still, it makes up for some of the crap I bought that I thought was valuable.

That same day, other people were buying all kinds of stuff I don't know anything about. Their knowledge worked for them, mine for me.

Nightowl 280

Oct 16, 2010
land o lakes fl
off season ?? not much of one down here in florida . august and dec seem to be the real down times around here but you can find good xmas sell offs in dec . The summer months are more of a down time to sell at the fleamarket then it is in picking .

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
Nightowl 280 said:
off season ?? not much of one down here in florida . august and dec seem to be the real down times around here but you can find good xmas sell offs in dec . The summer months are more of a down time to sell at the fleamarket then it is in picking .

The only thing that sucks about garage/thrift/estate sales in the colder months in Florida are the canooks.... Them hosers love it...
btw dont bash me ;D I love canadians and has anybody noticed almost all of them drive American made cars :thumbsup:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
redfish76 said:
Nightowl 280 said:

The only thing that sucks about garage/thrift/estate sales in the colder months in Florida are the canooks.... Them hosers love it...
btw dont bash me ;D I love canadians and has anybody noticed almost all of them drive American made cars :thumbsup:
I don't mind the Quebecians, except when they are in front of me driving. One of the few good things about living in SoFl is that there really isn't any kind of climate change except for a "cold" front or two that dips night time temps into the 50's once or twice.

OP
OP
acevillav

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I'm going to check the sales and antique malls this weekend, pics to follow. :hello:

Nightowl 280

Oct 16, 2010
land o lakes fl
the northern snow birds normally mean i make more money at the flea market when i get off my ass and head there to sell . Those north of the board snowbirds normally have alot of cash to waste on my crap :) Just wish they would stay away from my turf on yard sales . In the tampa area there is always some one that drives 10-20 under speed limit grr .

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't realize that Floriduh had an off season..... :laughing7:

The only way to tell that fall has arrived here in SoFlo is the license plates change colors..... :laughing9:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Midnightrider08 said:
www.storagetreasures.com
Thanks 08, I just signed up to see what is happening. Boy they are nosey. Thay want to know everything about me.

I won't do too well if I want to bid on auctions. I live right in the middle of Storage Wars country. Jarrod & Brandi's store is just a few miles from my house and Blaize, the guy that buys guns from Ton & Half, is a member in my local metal detecting club.

I may go to a few auctions but I don't have any room to store anything. Maybe I can get one of those "first month $1" specials and then not pay any more, then in six months Dave Yepppppp & Jarrod will go into a bidding frenzy. :laughing7: :icon_pirat:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
cyberdan said:
Midnightrider08 said:
www.storagetreasures.com
Thanks 08, I just signed up to see what is happening. Boy they are nosey. Thay want to know everything about me.

I won't do too well if I want to bid on auctions. I live right in the middle of Storage Wars country. Jarrod & Brandi's store is just a few miles from my house and Blaize, the guy that buys guns from Ton & Half, is a member in my local metal detecting club.

I may go to a few auctions but I don't have any room to store anything. Maybe I can get one of those "first month $1" specials and then not pay any more, then in six months Dave Yepppppp & Jarrod will go into a bidding frenzy. :laughing7: :icon_pirat:
I just want to win lottery an go there an out bid Dave on everything he wants!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
cyberdan said:
Midnightrider08 said:
www.storagetreasures.com

Yeah right, outbid him and his Napolean complex. :laughing7:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
creeper71 said:
cyberdan said:
Midnightrider08 said:
www.storagetreasures.com

Yeah right, outbid him and his Napolean complex. :laughing7:
If I had million an millions of dollars I would do it there wouldn't be nothing he could touch.. hell I probly let the old man . jorrod an crap can't remember the other guys name... but let them have my garages.. I would go thru an see if I wanted anything but probly wouldn't take anything... point would be Dave ain't getting crap!! MONEY WELL SPENT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread