What do you think is the most lucrative form of land treasure hunting?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Gold prospecting? -----------------Good if you can get on a good claim.
Seeking a "legend" cache?--------About a 1 in 10 chance on a lesser known cache.
Regular "farmer" caches?---------This is pot luck, but they are there.
Gem hunting?---------------------Never tried this.
Meteorite hunting?----------------Never tried this.
Relic hunting in Central America?-- Never tried this.

Something else?-------------------Old back yards where the rich have lived, good

Found this in a back yard. 3 ct ruby in 22kt gold ruby gold ring 700.jpg Frank...

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it:
Gold prospecting?
Seeking a "legend" cache?
Regular "farmer" caches?
Gem hunting?
Meteorite hunting?
Relic hunting in Central America?

Something else?

Gold prospecting is fun, but usually not worth the effort and time for what little you find.
Legend caches - not likely. There's a reason why the cache is "still there".
Farmer caches - pretty good if you have a lot of farms to search.
Gem hunting - again, fun, but cheaper to buy at annual western rock shows. Most of what you would find are amethysts, citrines, maybe a tourmaline if lucky. Not overly profitable.
Meteorites - gotta be a lot out there, but find one and recognizing it might be pretty tough.
Relic hunting in Central America - if you mean Spanish relics, definitely a good bet. Pre-Columbian artifacts can get you twenty years in Tamara. Not a good idea!

Actually, for me the most lucrative has always been plain old coin and relic hunting in old sites, and gold jewelry in modern parks. I paid off all my equipment with found gold jewelry.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nuggetshooting.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're looking for pure monetary value, I'd say hunting at the beach(in the water) if you're in an area that isn't too flooded with hunters. Otherwise I would hit up soccer practice fields, or go clad hunting. You can pull a lot of clad value in a season! Of course neither of these options is as fun as pulling old silver or a cache. Ok maybe pulling gold rings is pretty fun. :)

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to say and depends on where you live. Beach hunting yields amazing results to the pros. A woman in my club found a $30k ring. That would make anyone's year. Personally, between metal detecting, gold prospecting and gem hunting, gem hunting has paid off the best so far. But I am only 3 years into the hobby. Gold or metal detecting could pay off this year. Who knows. At least when I go gem hunting I always bring home something of value. I made almost $1k from Halite and Hanksite in 4 months. That's my best so far. Can't say the same for the other two yet....

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to say and depends on where you live. Beach hunting yields amazing results to the pros. A woman in my club found a $30k ring. That would make anyone's year. Personally, between metal detecting, gold prospecting and gem hunting, gem hunting has paid off the best so far. But I am only 3 years into the hobby. Gold or metal detecting could pay off this year. Who knows. At least when I go gem hunting I always bring home something of value. I made almost $1k from Halite and Hanksite in 4 months. That's my best so far. Can't say the same for the other two yet....

I agree that gemstones can be lucrative, especially if you can cut and polish them yourself. But what do you do with Halite? Is it sold as mineral specimens? It certainly isn't a jewelry stone. :icon_scratch:

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
REMEMBER! Every adult person around you has taken their own path through life, and are like a book if you only open them up by talking to them. some can turn you on to some good information as well as folks in their own family that may have buried a stash. So talk to people as to where you can find a million dollars' They will give you a hard laugh and tell you if they new they would go dig it up! Then they start talking and some really have some good leads but for some reason never looked into it them. I've gotten some good leads this way. GOOD LUCK

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHA The most dependable source of treasure hunting income would be selling cans to a recycler. Then, selling cardboard. Last is probably beach hunting with a good detector.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Or just sometimes pure dumb luck. How I made mine.
Bought my Grandpap's farm when he passed. No one else wanted anything to do with it. Like the old saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover". Couple hundred acres of farm land and woods, eh so what? Seems Gramps failed to mention to anyone that he owned the mineral rights too. Amazing how much coal and natural gas is/was on that property.

Now I can look for the other treasures that's on the property, when I'm not in Florida, or out hunting or fishing or flying. Or hanging off that darn post chasing the crows out of the field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread