What does everyone do for their work???

API certified inspector of pressure vessels and piping in refineries and chemical plants.

I've worked at quite a few jobs. Graduated high school in 1960 and went to work at a machine shop that manufactured the pumps (not the pump jacks) for oil wells. Then I operated a service station for a while. Then I managed a service station for several months. Then worked at another machine shop, then a super market, then ran a bread route for about a year, then back into a super market, another machine shop that manufactured the pump jacks for oil wells. Then worked 11 years delivering petroleum products for Gulf. Then ran a propane delivery truck for a couple of years, worked for a cement contractor for a while, and worked for a construction company building a US post office. Then worked as auditor/supervisor for a convenience store group. Then spent the rest of my working days as installation and repairman for service station gasoline/diesel equipment starting in 1985. Retired in 2004, but went to work as a greeter for Walmart for a couple of years. That's almost all of the jobs I had during my life.

You are the type of person that I could talk to all day. Not just well rounded, experienced! Hats off to you for taking on so many jobs.

currently employed by a world class aluminum sheet factory known as Logan Aluminum. I disposition aluminum coils for customers, that is I say yes it's a good product or no it is not. I was a state and federally licensed taxidermist for 20 years. Love my job but hate the hour drive to work every morning. Have to leave the house at 4 am to be at work by 5 am.

I am an O.P. for a company that manufactures products for the hunting and shooting industry. I am also a craftsman and specialize in acid transferring images to wood, I am also a avid fur trapper and small time furrier

I current manage the QC department for a triple A video game production studio, been doing this for 12 years. Before that I tested VOIP network hardware and software for Nortel Networks for 5 years. Before that I did a variety of technical jobs at a company called BTI, long distance phone service sales, database admin for paging and voicemail.

Interesting thread...I manage and supervise a tool and die shop for a local zinc die caster, travel the U.S. going to shows, been doing that for the last 22 years, when I come home from that, I have 101 honey bee colonies that need attention and supply the local stores with honey, i have beef cattle that need fences fixed, calving, hay put up... for the last 15 years I have rented out rooms here on the farm and guided deer and turkey hunts. I also buy/sell old iron, tractors, dirt bikes, old Harleys, 4 wheelers, chainsaws, airplane parts, anything with an engine...scrap metal, you name it.
When I have free time, I fish, dig for artifacts and restore old stuff...

Interesting thread...I manage and supervise a tool and die shop for a local zinc die caster, travel the U.S. going to shows, been doing that for the last 22 years, when I come home from that, I have 101 honey bee colonies that need attention and supply the local stores with honey, i have beef cattle that need fences fixed, calving, hay put up... for the last 15 years I have rented out rooms here on the farm and guided deer and turkey hunts. I also buy/sell old iron, tractors, dirt bikes, old Harleys, 4 wheelers, chainsaws, airplane parts, anything with an engine...scrap metal, you name it.
When I have free time, I fish, dig for artifacts and restore old stuff...

Sounds like you need to find another hobby. You must have at least five minutes a day to dedicate to something else huh?

I do everything in construction and have paint business on the side ..I love customizing my hog and looking for rocks and my favorite my kids ;)

Digger, can you elaborate on plastics vacuum? Sounds interesting. Did you make the pellets that form into coke or Pepsi bottles?

Where I worked we used sheets of plastics (different thicknesses and sizes) that were heated in an oven and vacuumed/sucked down over a tool/mold. We made plastic parts for RVs (door & window shrouds, center counsels, wheelwell shrouds, and dump tanks), aquariums, martin houses, and a lot of other things. I still have a lot of other ideas that I would like to implement.

P.S. Started out with the kitchen oven and a vacuum sweeper.

Last edited:
Thanks for being my "life coach" Quito....
Sounds like you need to find another hobby. You must have at least five minutes a day to dedicate to something else huh?

I am a fuel transport driver, I carry fuel to airports, farmers and stations, I also run, oversee and I am the lease holder on 8 different tracts of land for hunting and fishing clubs. That's how I have access to a lot of artifact sites. As an artifact hunter I don't like deer season, but my wallet loves it.:laughing7:

Last edited:
Retired. A hitch in the Navy, then college and a number of years shoeing horses and working on cattle ranches, which is when I found most of my points. Bought a place of my own, had 70 mother cows, and spent 30 years in a veneer mill, first supporting the cows, then after divorce and the X getting the ranch, supporting myself and eventually a new wife. At the mill, I drove a Caterpiller 950 with log forks, and at the very end drove a Wagner loading and unloading log trucks. I was able to retire just about the time the timber industry in Oregon was devastated by the tree huggers. The first photo the Wagner is loading a truck with sinker logs out of the pond. The second photo is just to show the flatlanders what a real log looks like.
mill4.jpgmill2.jpg These pictures were taken more than 15 years ago, and I had a computer that let me play with photos, I can't do that border now. The picture of the log, I'm 6'2" tall. I remember a friend of mine hauled a log to the mill, they had to notch the log so it would fit between the stakes on the truck. He was over width, over length, over height and over weight with one log, but he was able to get around the scales and to the mill. Those were the good old days in the land of the free.

I am retired from the Fire Department with 30 years service. I was a trim carpenter until the bottom fell out of the building industry. Now. I work part time for an Auto parts store 35 hours a week. And, I do an occasional side jobs for elderly people that can't afford to pay. Hey, if the good Lord is willing I may be old one day and some one will help me.

I'm currently the Operations Manager at a industrial truck manufacturing facility in Dalian, China. I've been in the east for about a year of a 2 year assignment, and I'm enjoying my time, but missing my rocks. :sadsmiley: Before getting into management I was a manufacturing engineer, and while going to school for the engineering degree spent my time working as a machinist, tool maker, CNC progammer, etc.

Hippy

Last edited:
I have worked in retail for 35 yrs. I work 2 jobs that surround the retail world. The holidays are the busy time for me. Thats is how I get permission to hunt fields and creeks is by getting to know my customers. I work face to face with my customers not on the phone or internet. I chose not to give my work place names out. So those who do know where I work Do Not reveal it please. I like my privacy, rock

Juvenile Probation Officer. I work in a school for kids that get expelled from Alternative School.

I have worked in retail for 35 yrs. I work 2 jobs that surround the retail world. The holidays are the busy time for me. Thats is how I get permission to hunt fields and creeks is by getting to know my customers. I work face to face with my customers not on the phone or internet. I chose not to give my work place names out. So those who do know where I work Do Not reveal it please. I like my privacy, rock

Nothing wrong with privacy Rock. Actually, you are probably making a wise decision. We have talked about our jobs in the past. Holiday work makes holiday cheer tough!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back