What's new

What does everyone do for their work???

Basically what I do is collect severance pay. Since '86 I have worked for 11 companies that have went under or moved outta' town...First job as a teenager was shoveling sh*t for the local zoo. (the one job I actually quit!) I have driven for Roadway Package System, Lanter Delivery System, I worked in plastics factories, repaired dental and hospital equipment, worked for two medical testing labs, Videoed weddings and parties, painted oriental decorations on Chinese furniture, played banjo, played fiddle, drawn portraits, been a remodeling contractor, a pet sitter, a pet photographer, a landscaper, an illustrator of service manuals, a furniture finisher, a meter reader, an auto mechanic, and the last job I had was delivering bulk pharmaceutical products to hospitals and nursing homes until a competing Carrier took all the business. been unemployed for a year and living on clad coins and zinc pennies, (along with some of the above mentioned self employment pursuits), so I don't have to raid my 401k...at least it hasn't been boring! 8-)
 
Basically what I do is collect severance pay. Since '86 I have worked for 11 companies that have went under or moved outta' town...First job as a teenager was shoveling sh*t for the local zoo. (the one job I actually quit!) I have driven for Roadway Package System, Lanter Delivery System, I worked in plastics factories, repaired dental and hospital equipment, worked for two medical testing labs, Videoed weddings and parties, painted oriental decorations on Chinese furniture, played banjo, played fiddle, drawn portraits, been a remodeling contractor, a pet sitter, a pet photographer, a landscaper, an illustrator of service manuals, a furniture finisher, a meter reader, an auto mechanic, and the last job I had was delivering bulk pharmaceutical products to hospitals and nursing homes until a competing Carrier took all the business. been unemployed for a year and living on clad coins and zinc pennies, (along with some of the above mentioned self employment pursuits), so I don't have to raid my 401k...at least it hasn't been boring! 8-)

Excavating contractor. For way too long
 
Retired. Sr. Information Technology Specialist (computer analyst). Don't hunt flint though, as there are no flint artifacts here - all are other materials.
 
I run a region for a fast food chain and oversee 750 stores, 15 countries, and almost 20,000 employees. Or as my son introduced me at career day a few years back, I make pizza. Before pizza I made hamburgers & steaks in Europe, Asia and Africa. I've bought, owned, sold, built, ran, closed, opened, designed, cooked in or worked with investors wanting to do that in 98 countries around the globe. It's let me see a lot of museums, construction sites, and antique shops. I've found but not kept relics in several countries.

I also own a couple of rental properties here in Miami that I bought when the housing market crashed. I love and hate the rental business, but once you have a few properties and can pay someone to manage/fix/collect, it's easy money. I've also figured out that I can't judge people when it comes how they'll be as renters. The nicest people turn out to be the bums that don't pay rent for 8 months until you evict them, some people call you over burnt out lightbulbs at 2 am, and Seventh Day Adventists are the best renters (clean, quiet, honest.) A partner and I are making a proposal and a bid on a large, very low end mobile home park here in Florida, I flip flop on wanting it to happen, and not wanting it to go through. The investment is sound, but I've never had to deal with crystal meth/violence before (police visit the community a couple of times a week for those.)
 
After seeing everyone's post I should of went in to more detail haha
 
Just the normal paperboy,bag boy at a grocery store, fast food and then after I got out of school joined the navy SEABEE'S. After my hitch I've been a union heavy equipment operator for the last 16 yrs.. Get payed to play in the dirt!! lol LOCAL 181 BABY!!!!!!! HH
 
Scientist, Biotech field. I've come to realize I missed my calling as a geologist :(
 
Retired. A hitch in the Navy, then college and a number of years shoeing horses and working on cattle ranches, which is when I found most of my points. Bought a place of my own, had 70 mother cows, and spent 30 years in a veneer mill, first supporting the cows, then after divorce and the X getting the ranch, supporting myself and eventually a new wife. At the mill, I drove a Caterpiller 950 with log forks, and at the very end drove a Wagner loading and unloading log trucks. I was able to retire just about the time the timber industry in Oregon was devastated by the tree huggers. The first photo the Wagner is loading a truck with sinker logs out of the pond. The second photo is just to show the flatlanders what a real log looks like.
View attachment 905911View attachment 905915 These pictures were taken more than 15 years ago, and I had a computer that let me play with photos, I can't do that border now. The picture of the log, I'm 6'2" tall. I remember a friend of mine hauled a log to the mill, they had to notch the log so it would fit between the stakes on the truck. He was over width, over length, over height and over weight with one log, but he was able to get around the scales and to the mill. Those were the good old days in the land of the free.



way cool......is that an old growth western red cedar, or redwood, or engelman spruce, or? it reminds me of the old grewth logs of western red cedar that are used for producing cedar shakes and cedar shingles


larson1951
 
you know this thread is great......it tells all us artifact lovers that we can be anybody....and do anything for a living............
.......and still have a common interest
..............thanks to all the tnet friends


larson1951
 
Last edited:
Retired. Living in the mountains of Kaniksu National Forest.
 
Retired councilor 10 yrs. worked with people with family abuse problems, drug problems, drinking problems.
 
it has been very interesting reading for sure!! THNX everyone.
you know this thread is great......it tells all us artifact lovers that we can be anybody....and do anything for a living............
.......and still have a common interest
..............thanks to all the tnet friends


larson1951
 
way cool......is that an old growth western red cedar, or redwood, or engelman spruce, or? it reminds me of the old grewth logs of western red cedar that are used for producing cedar shakes and cedar shingles larson1951

That log would be a Douglas Fir, the pitch can be seen by my left are in the pictue, which is a dead giveaway it's not cedar or redwood. That log had been in the pond for quite awhile from the lack of bark and the black color, I'm thinking it was probably a sinker. We also get some mighty big Sugar Pine trees. Redwoods are further south, big Spruce is more to the coast.
 
Last edited:
That log would be a Douglas Fir, the pitch can be seen by my left are in the picture, which is a dead giveaway it's not cedar or redwood. That log had been in the pond for quite awhile from the lack of bark and the black color, I'm thinking it was probably a sinker. We also get some mighty big Sugar Pine trees. Redwoods are further south, big Spruce is more to the coast.


that is interesting and thank you
we value doug fir here in north dakota as an extra good construction material.....but it does not grow here mr bosnmate

here are some western red cedar logs which my roofing business relies on heavily since cedar shakes and cedar shingles for roofing are made from them

the biggest log on the right side of this deck is the same 6 foot diameter as the log you are standing

DSC00207.webp
 
Last edited:
Chemical Process Operator (Herbicide), and a former cop, but that turned out to be a lot less fun than it looked like on TV. I love my job and hope to get another 20 years out of it.

With the crops getting thick this summer, hunting season now, and a chilly Michigan winter almost here I don't expect to be able to get out till spring, but I am counting the days. Made a couple good finds this year, but got more of an education my first year out.

I definitely caught the fever, and have mostly just been reading posts for awhile, but I think about walking my farmer friends fields every single day since my first real find - a nice granite Celt.
 
I am new to the forum, mostly a retired treasure hunter for historic shipwrecks. Do some casual hunting for stone points and such. Thinking of selling my collection from south Alabama the best find was a chunky stone. Pretty cool piece, do you know any thing about them? Where do you hunt? Thought I could send a picture of my chunky stone, but it is not happening for me. Krista
 

Attachments

  • chunky stone 1.webp
    chunky stone 1.webp
    8.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Chunky Stone 3.webp
    Chunky Stone 3.webp
    9.9 KB · Views: 114
you have a couple of nice pieces there Krista.
I am new to the forum, mostly a retired treasure hunter for historic shipwrecks. Do some casual hunting for stone points and such. Thinking of selling my collection from south Alabama the best find was a chunky stone. Pretty cool piece, do you know any thing about them? Where do you hunt? Thought I could send a picture of my chunky stone, but it is not happening for me. Krista
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom