texastee2007 said:creskol said:It resembles a guide that was used on an old cycle bar type mowers that kept the cuycle bar itself in alignment.
on a swather?
sasnz said:I think it is top plate on a wood plane, the blade would go where you can see on the first picture, I will see if i can get a pic.
sasnz
sasnz said:I think it is top plate on a wood plane, the blade would go where you can see on the first picture, I will see if i can get a pic.
sasnz
999slvrfx said:I agree with sasnz, it's the blade holder on a block plane used to smooth wood.
I have three planes with parts just like it.
baspinall said:sasnz said:I think it is top plate on a wood plane, the blade would go where you can see on the first picture, I will see if i can get a pic.
sasnz
Exactly what I was thinking but need a size reference.
Brian
DDEXPII said:I think it is top plate on a wood plane too.![]()
east tx digger said:I concur..top plae on wood plane.
I have sold 100's of antique planes on eBay and at the flea markets and I cant recall a plane cap ever looking like this. 999slvrfx if you have one, please take a pic. Of course if the picture was a little smaller, we could see it in its entirety on the screen. ...also something for size needed.Hi BigC, After reading your comment i decided to investigate a little further. I have included some pics of planes of Similar design, not exact design. as i am not a tool expert i thought that they were pretty close. Keeping in mind that if the site detecting is extremely old the design might be somewhat basic. I still think this item could be off a plane.bigcypresshunter said:sasnz said:I think it is top plate on a wood plane, the blade would go where you can see on the first picture, I will see if i can get a pic.
sasnz999slvrfx said:I agree with sasnz, it's the blade holder on a block plane used to smooth wood.
I have three planes with parts just like it.baspinall said:sasnz said:I think it is top plate on a wood plane, the blade would go where you can see on the first picture, I will see if i can get a pic.
sasnz
Exactly what I was thinking but need a size reference.
BrianDDEXPII said:I think it is top plate on a wood plane too.
east tx digger said:I concur..top plae on wood plane.
How could so many people be wrong?![]()
![]()
I have sold 100's of antique planes on eBay and at the flea markets and I cant recall a plane cap ever looking like this. 999slvrfx if you have one, please take a pic. Of course if the picture was a little smaller, we could see it in its entirety on the screen. ...also something for size needed.
Im not saying 100% sure, but I have never seen one and my books dont show one like this. Im waiting for 999slvrfx to post a pic of his planes. I say NOT a plane part. Red arrow shows blade(1) and to the left two types of caps(4).