Metal Detecting
PSX_20210224_200251.jpg

PSX_20210224_195938.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, it was a HOT drink. Beyond that, there's no way to
ID the drink. No value there unless you save aluminum
for recycle, as it's one of 50,000,000,000 that are laying in
the dirt all over the planet.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jonathan.Grummer, I see that you are a brand-new member here at TreasureNet... so let me say, welcome to the What Is It? forum -- the best place on the internet to get unknown objects CORRECTLY identified. :)

That being said... your aluminum drink-can pulltab is a toughie to specifically identify.

The shape of your aluminum pulltab indicates it is an "early" version of drink-can pulltab. It looks like the ones I used in the 1960s/70s, not one of the versions from more-recent decades. Knowing its time-period might help you track down the distinctive lettering of the "Hot" logo -- which I do not recognize, despite having consumed a LOT of soft-drinks in the 1960s/70s.

I should mention... it seems that the Hot logo is on the UNDERSIDE of the pulltab. (It could not be seen on the outside of the can.) If I'm seeing it correctly, that could be a helpful ID-clue. I recall that back in the 60s/70s, sometimes the soft-drink manufacturers would run a "prize contest," in which the underside of the drink-container's cap or pulltab would have a free prize written on it. Coca Cola was famous for doing that, and other beverage companies did it too.

Sorry, that's all the ID-help I can give you about your pulltab. My area of knowledge is pre-20th-Century American Military relics. You can learn a lot of very good information on many subjects here in the What Is It? forum, so I hope you will visit it often. Again, welcome to TreasureNet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That being said... your aluminum drink-can pulltab is a toughie to specifically identify.

The shape of your aluminum pulltab indicates it is an "early" version of drink-can pulltab. It looks like the ones I used in the 1960s/70s, not one of the versions from more-recent decades. Knowing its time-period might help you track down the distinctive lettering of the "Hot" logo -- which I do not recognize, despite having consumed a LOT of soft-drinks in the 1960s/70s.

I should mention... it seems that the Hot logo is on the UNDERSIDE of the pulltab. (It could not be seen on the outside of the can.) If I'm seeing it correctly, that could be a helpful ID-clue. I recall that back in the 60s/70s, sometimes the soft-drink manufacturers would run a "prize contest," in which the underside of the drink-container's cap or pulltab would have a free prize written on it. Coca Cola was famous or doing that, and other beverage companies did it too.

Sorry, that's all the ID-help I can give you about your pulltab. MY area of knowledge is pre-20th-Century American Military relics. You can learn a lot of very good information on many subjects here in the What Is It? forum, so I hope you will visit it often. Again, welcome to TreasureNet.

My apologies JG...I stand corrected.. respect-062.gif

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like one of the earlier ones. In my part of the world they were called "pop tops" and at first mostly on beer cans. There was even a song called "Pop a Top Again"

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It "may" not be from a drink.
There were other products that used pull tabs besides beverages.

Of course, I can't think of any at the moment - but that's only because the coffee is still brewing! :)

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It "may" not be from a drink.
There were other products that used pull tabs besides beverages.

Of course, I can't think of any at the moment - but that's only because the coffee is still brewing! :)

Let me help until you've had a chance to feed your addiction (I've already had mine...)

Some automotive products. STP Gas Treatment 1971

STP 1971.JPG

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
thats the coolest pop top ive ever seen,never seen or dug one with word/s
that would have made digging thousands worth it

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
I wish that two hole punch top Coors had of caught on... would have been a lot less tabs in the wild...

Welcome to TreasureNet ​Jonathan

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from the garden state. You have elevated the pull tab to new heights. Maybe a new forum!

Upvote 0

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, the 'ol "Yuppie Finger Trap." Too many Denverites were getting their fingers stuck. Or making unintentional "Red-Eyes" with blood in their beer.

https://www.core77.com/posts/59733/The-Design-Evolution-of-Beer-Can-Openings

I witnessed it on many occasions (and fell victim more than a few times myself). My guess is that someone sued Coors when they cut their pinkie. Would have been quite a scene if it went to trial. I can imagine the lawyer defending Coors questioning the Plaintiff:

- “And so, Mr. Plaintiff, approximately how many beers had you drunk before you allegedly injured yourself?”
and then a little later,
- “And Mr. Plaintiff, did you drink the beer after this so-called injury?”
- Mr. Plaintiff: “Well of course, I wasn’t going to waste a beer just because it had blood in it.” At which point the courtroom erupts in laughter as the judge repeatedly slams his gavel and shouts for order.

It still wasn’t as dangerous as opening a beer bottle with one’s teeth. I witnessed a few chipped and broken teeth watching that trick.
dts

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I witnessed it on many occasions (and fell victim more than a few times myself). My guess is that someone sued Coors when they cut their pinkie. Would have been quite a scene if it went to trial. I can imagine the lawyer defending Coors questioning the Plaintiff:

- “And so, Mr. Plaintiff, approximately how many beers had you drunk before you allegedly injured yourself?”
and then a little later,
- “And Mr. Plaintiff, did you drink the beer after this so-called injury?”
- Mr. Plaintiff: “Well of course, I wasn’t going to waste a beer just because it had blood in it.” At which point the courtroom erupts in laughter as the judge repeatedly slams his gavel and shouts for order.

It still wasn’t as dangerous as opening a beer bottle with one’s teeth. I witnessed a few chipped and broken teeth watching that trick.
dts

Got to remember the ones that popped the can open, folded the tab, then dropped it in the can......Only to later choke on it when they went to get the last drop of beer out of the can! Some people can hurt themselves no matter what you do......!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thinking about that stylized "something" in front of the "HOT",
I thought I was really on to something...

dhotfoods.com

....only to be disappointed.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Could have been from a contest, where you had to collect all the words to make phrase. I remember later with soda caps there were letters or athletes that all needed to be collected to win the prizes.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread