What's new

What have I found?

Tammy123456

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
43
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Help me to post a pic... New to site dont know how. Its a 1889 dog tax tag from dardanelle arkansas. I would like to know more about what I've found here. Someone made us a generous offer. What might it really b worth? We r excited it's worth so much but would like ppl. Who know more to Inform us of ne thing u might know. 1st time posting on here...hope I'm doin it right. Thank you... Tammy look below for more... Can someone let me know how I post a pic on here to show u guys what I found.
 
Its much better now but its always good to post the back and a side view so buyers can see any rust or if its bent. The more pics the better so it doesnt look as if you are hiding anything. The pics are free in collectibles.


Thats amazing first find. Im curious will a magnet stick to it?
 
Upvote 0
No a magnet does not stick to it I just tried. Posting pics now of backside. It must be copper or brass? I have no idea
 
Upvote 0
Sorry I didn't get back in time to help. I just checked my pm box. I see you have some interest in your tag. :thumbsup: I would research your high bidder a little. Check his feedback history, make sure he's on the up and up. There's nothing worse than a non paying bidder. BTW- I am one of the watchers.
 
Upvote 0
Yes I researched my highest bidder just now...thanks for that advise. He seems to b a supreme buyer. Thanks for watching. Just got a message that no one has recorded a find of dog tax tag from Dardanelle Arkansas. It's a beautiful town right on the Arkansas river with a lot of history n a bridge that connects it to the next town of Russellville Arkansas where we live. We placed a pic of the backside of the tag. There is no rust. Wonder what it's made of. Magnet did not stick.
 
Upvote 0
diggummup said:
Sorry I didn't get back in time to help. I just checked my pm box. I see you have some interest in your tag. :thumbsup: I would research your high bidder a little. Check his feedback history, make sure he's on the up and up. There's nothing worse than a non paying bidder. BTW- I am one of the watchers.
I just started back on eBay. I dont ship until I receive the money. I only accept Paypal. If I accepted a check it would have to be USPS money order because personal checks take about 3 weeks to be sure. I think I would pay for Delivery Confirmation tracking and Insurance on something of this value. I am also a watcher.
 
Upvote 0
I think all the bids are from the same person. Its advantageous to have several bidders. Sometimes they dont bid until the last minute.

Its a beautiful piece. It may be nickel plated brass. :dontknow: Heres an aluminum maltese cross design but nowhere near as old or as nice. http://www.pl8s.com/platestand-dogs.htm
 

Attachments

  • dog tag maltese cross.webp
    dog tag maltese cross.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 554
Upvote 0
Yes all bids seems to b from same person. He upped his own bid just to meet our reserve price when we found out what it was worth...we set our reserve at 500.00 he met it. We received pm's about taking 500 for it but ur right sticking to eBay and pay pal n not sending until payment is all the right way to go...
 
Upvote 0
Not sure my fiancé found it I will ask him ASAP...but know it was behind the shed of a house that was built in 1894. He was just diggin around not sure how much ground was uncovered when he detected it. But yes he did say his medal detector was what hit on it.
 
Upvote 0
The bid is still at 500.00 in eBay. Cool. Gotta start this hobby so I can find stuff like this. It was my fiancé's find so he would have to teach me. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Sounds like he dug up a dogs grave.(probably not on purpose lol) I doubt anyone buries a dog at 3ft though so his detector probably hit it at a much shallower depth.
 
Upvote 0
Pretty sure it was not dogs grave, tag was incased in sand... alone with nothing around it. It was about 28 inches deep, my medal detector is a whites classic ID detector. That is the detector I found it with. Dardanelle soil is a silty, sand-like dirt. I noticed while digging In other digs that when something was there at one time, that it left an impression in the soil. There was no impressions or sign of anything around the tag when I found it.
 
Upvote 0
Tammy123456 said:
It was about 28 inches deep, my medal detector is a whites classic ID detector.
Wow thats almost as deep as my Pulse Unit. :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Because of the soil here...u can identify objects at a deeper depth more than usual.
 
Upvote 0
Does anyone else get that kind of depth on a quarter sized object with a Whites detector?
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Does anyone else get that kind of depth on a quarter sized object with a Whites detector?

That's pushing it for even the TDI! ???
 
Upvote 0
Duh, what's a whites detector? ::)....NGE
 
Upvote 0
My fiancé n I both r posting in here under my name...just to clear up. Don't know exactly what to say about depth but ppl. Around here detect things pretty far down. That's how far down he says it was n it's not sup rising to ppl who live around here.
 
Upvote 0
Tammy123456 said:
My fiancé n I both r posting in here under my name...just to clear up. Don't know exactly what to say about depth but ppl. Around here detect things pretty far down. That's how far down he says it was n it's not sup rising to ppl who live around here.

:dontknow: Geeze-louise .. This story gets more convoluted with every post you make! :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom