What's new

What in the world is this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter umrgolf
  • Start date Start date
U

umrgolf

Guest
This one was dug in a field that produced 17th, 18th, and 19th century coins.. this piece looks very old and is broken off at the end..
 

Attachments

  • wth is this.webp
    wth is this.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 886
  • wth is this 2.webp
    wth is this 2.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 875
  • wth is this.webp
    wth is this.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 900
  • wth is this 2.webp
    wth is this 2.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 862
Breezie said:
It looks like a finial for the end of a small flag pole; if not, it looks like some kind of finial.Breezie

That is precisely what I was going to say!
 
Upvote 0
plehbah said:
Muddyhandz said:
I was going to say a whistle but there are no holes. It could be some sort of finial.

The church had to fund the Archaeological digs? :icon_scratch: It must have been a private contract at the request of the church otherwise why should they have to pay? Interesting.
Good luck on the I.D.
Dave.

The church might have been a designated landmark, or on the National Register of Historic Places, or something like that. To be required to have an archaeological dig before any sort of renovation means that they were receiving Federal funds of some kind.

Now, back to identifying this mysterious find!

Not to hijack the thread and Pleh,I do respect your motive but.......out here Archies are bad news,I have lost two sites because of trying to do the right thing and share sites,the fact they dug them wasnt the problem,it was the fact that no finds were put up for public display(I had a display from one of the sites on loan to a museum)and in the report of what they supposedly found there were MANY things misssing that I know for a fact were dug.
Second in my neighboring county to get a building permit you now have to pay for an Archi survey to be done and if they deem it worthy of a dig,you either pay for it or you do not get your permit.It is coming to every county in the future(here)
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
plehbah said:
Muddyhandz said:
I was going to say a whistle but there are no holes. It could be some sort of finial.

The church had to fund the Archaeological digs? :icon_scratch: It must have been a private contract at the request of the church otherwise why should they have to pay? Interesting.
Good luck on the I.D.
Dave.

The church might have been a designated landmark, or on the National Register of Historic Places, or something like that. To be required to have an archaeological dig before any sort of renovation means that they were receiving Federal funds of some kind.

Now, back to identifying this mysterious find!

Not to hijack the thread and Pleh,I do respect your motive but.......out here Archies are bad news,I have lost two sites because of trying to do the right thing and share sites,the fact they dug them wasnt the problem,it was the fact that no finds were put up for public display(I had a display from one of the sites on loan to a museum)and in the report of what they supposedly found there were MANY things misssing that I know for a fact were dug.
Second in my neighboring county to get a building permit you now have to pay for an Archi survey to be done and if they deem it worthy of a dig,you either pay for it or you do not get your permit.It is coming to every county in the future(here)

That's just copying the UK model, every developer must pay for a archie survey prior to distubing the soil. Some out of the way places are just a desktop study & tick in the box, some are small test pits, others might be full excavation depending on the amount of archaeology found. Hugely expensive, but its all they do now, no funding anymore for normal research (apart from the odd university or private affair)
 
Upvote 0
Now that I look at this again, I think that it was a large brass key with both ends broken off.
That's my final answer! ;D
Cheers,
Dave.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom